Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The foreign aid budget is so small it's a joke. $50 Billion for foreign aid when you're running a budget deficit of 1.5 TRILLIon is a joke. I'm surprised you even mentioned this. Based on your posts, I thought you were smarter than that.
if it doesn't benefit us, i am going to mention it.

50 billion dollars could do a lot of good in the united states. (that is just the DIRECT foreign aid number).

it is smart not to forget that 50 billion is still a lot of money even if the government spending has gone into the trillions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

If I am an undocumented immigrant, am I eligible for any assistance from FEMA?

•You may be eligible for short-term, non-cash, emergency aid provided by FEMA.

there are too many loopholes for non citizens and their anchor children in this country and they need to be closed up!
No food or water for you or your kids! It is too much for our economy to bear. Now go away, your dirty children are making me feel unsettled sitting here in my air conditioned trailer drinking Pepsi! And if you don't like it, take it up with floridasandy, she will have none of it!

Last edited by shaker281; 04-14-2011 at 04:04 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
No food or water for you or your kids! It is too much for our economy to bear. Now go away, your dirty children are making me feel unsettled sitting here in my air condition trailer drinking Pepsi! And if you don't like it, take it up with floridasandy, she will have none of it!
if you think name calling makes YOU look smarter, think again.

for the record, i like coke in my air conditioned trailer.

if your children are dirty or unfed, whose fault is that again?

people need to take responsibility for their OWN actions.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
if you think name calling makes YOU look smarter, think again.

for the record, i like coke in my air conditioned trailer.

if your children are dirty or unfed, whose fault is that again?

people need to take responsibility for their OWN actions.
Name calling? What society would allow anyone suffering in a disaster zone to go without basic assistance. Apparently, the United States of Sandy!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Ever seen the movie "The Postman"? That is what America will look like in 2013.
One possibility, yes. Madmax is another.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Name calling? What society would allow anyone suffering in a disaster zone to go without basic assistance. Apparently, the United States of Sandy!
this is not about denying disaster aid to american citizens and legal residents. they are entitled to government services, but the government should not be in the business of rewarding bad behavior. what other illegal behaviors do you think should be rewarded?

also, let me add that government help in a disaster zone is highly overrated.

i know this personally having been in 3 separate hurricanes. you need to realize that you have to do for yourselves in a disaster and help your neighbors as well. if you count on the government to save you, you might be in for a shock when a disaster hits. the suffering of people during katrina should have brought that lesson home.

a true story-
i was out the day before one of the hurricanes trying to find stray animals to help. i saw some horses tied to a tree and called the sheriff's department to see if they could help me in any way. i was told that they could do nothing, that all emergency personnel were "hunkered down", and that i should not be out on the street. this was the day before the hurricane even hit!

some of our county's emergency personnel actually left the state before the hurricane hit and came back afterwards. there was quite a lively discussion about that!

Last edited by floridasandy; 04-14-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
this is not about denying disaster aid to american citizens and legal residents. they are entitled to government services, but the government should not be in the business of rewarding bad behavior. what other illegal behaviors do you think should be rewarded?
!
What in the world goes on in the mind of a person who believes it is "rewarding bad behavior" to dig an illegal alien's crying child out of a collapsed building?

You do know, don't you, that "illegal behavior" and "bad behavior" are not interchangeable synonyms? My grandparents came to the USA exactly the same way my undocumented Mexican neighbors did---by walking in. For exactly the same reasons---to improve their life prospects. How is their behavior "good" or "bad"?

Where in the Constitution does it say that the Bill of Rights is applicable to only citizens and legal residents? What part of the word "people" do you not understand? I might remind you that the document that begins "We the People. . ." was not signed by one single citizen. And they were all acting as criminals when they signed it.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-14-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What in the world goes on in the mind of a person who believes it is "rewarding bad behavior" to dig an illegal alien's crying child out of a collapsed building?

You do know, don't you, that "illegal behavior" and "bad behavior" are not interchangeable synonyms? My grandparents came to the USA exactly the same way my undocumented Mexican neighbors did---by walking in. For exactly the same reasons---to improve their life prospects. How is their behavior "good" or "bad"?

Where in the Constitution does it say that the Bill of Rights is applicable to only citizens and legal residents? What part of the word "people" do you not understand? I might remind you that the document that begins "We the People. . ." was not signed by one single citizen. And they were all acting as criminals when they signed it.
that was quite a melodramatic picture you are painting there, but what better way to try and tug at the emotional heart strings i guess....

in a disaster, i don't suppose that people are asking whether someone is an illegal or not before they rescue them so it really is a moot point , isn't it?

the bigger issue (which is attempting to be sidetracked) is whether a government should reward bad behavior-which means BREAKING THE LAW.

which other laws did your grandparents break? which other laws did your mexican neighbors break? they clearly must have known that they were breaking the law when they broke it. did they know that there was a legal way to get into the country and choose to ignore it deliberately? were they too good to go through regular channels that the rest of the people go through? i guess walking in is the politically correct form of sneaking in now.

you come into our country without our permission,eat our food, demand our services, and expect us to educate your children -you are STEALING from us.

how much clearer can i be?

how dare illegal immigrants waltz in and tell us how it is going to be now, or what we are going to have to do or accept?

our country is our home and countries have borders for a reason. you have to be invited, just as i would have to be invited into someone else's country to live and i would not dream of forcing my way in and making demands on citizens of another country either.

Last edited by floridasandy; 04-15-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
did they know that there was a legal way to get into the country and choose to ignore it deliberately? were they too good to go through regular channels that the rest of the people go through?
Oh, I see. We have 12-million illegal aliens now. If all of them had gone through the legal process, we'd have 12-million legal immigrants. Same people, but legal instead of illegal. All they had to do was fill out the forms and wait for the card to come in the mail welcoming them to America. Would you then respect and admire them, and praise the government for doing everything to accommodate them, and applaud the telephone menus for courteously offering to help them in Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics