Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Not necessarily. A hallmark of the poor is they tend to spend a large amount of thier resources on entertainment. It's not unusual around the poor school district where I live to see children with all manner of electronic gadgets, four wheelers, and phones, and horses while living in shacks.
We're talking apples and oranges here. The great rise in poverty has not been because there are more poor people who were poor before, but from the collapsing economy and people who had jobs and things and still have the things but no job. As a previous poster said, its hard to sell 'stuff'. The newly poor do not go out and buy toys for the kids, they try to keep the lights on, buy food, and deal in necessities. They juggle bills. Toys are the bottom of the list.

When I was married, we lived on my husband's disability and the dribble from our home business. You would not have known it from the toys my son had, (not electronics, but kid toys) because we shopped thrift shops and used sales. He didn't care. So even if you see lots of toys it doesn't mean they broke the bank to buy them.

We need to stop *assuming* that because someone has a phone they are spendtrift. Or if they have a nice car they bought it instead of food. Nobody can look and tell if the family was poor five years ago or just had the bottom fall out yesterday. When the money isn't there for food, morgage/rent (shelter), and basic utilities, what you have left over is immaterial. If you have to decide what not to pay its a condition of poverty even if a month ago it wasn't like that.

We need to start recognizing that *people* are hurting and lose the kneejerk reactions. Especially in this time, I still wonder just how much of that is fear fueled given that most of the middle class people trying to get food stamps and assistance did not ever think it could happen to them. Guess what? It can. So how much of that is deflected/can't possibly happen to me fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You are free to believe what ever you choose, but the facts remain.
Poverty is considered less than $22,000 a year.
It is true that we have a better standard of living than 90% of the world, but it is not uncommon in the rest of the world to have families living off $2 a day.

I think your prejudices have altered your opinions. When the unemployment rate was 4% anyone who was physically able to work could find a job. Today that is not the case.

There are millions of families who for the first time in there lives cannot find work. With government cutbacks and layoffs coming, we are going to see a lot more of this going forward. Be careful not to judge the unemployed too harshly, as one day you may find yourself one of them.
Another "be careful" warning.

I will NEVER be in that situation.

Now, on to the stats....you can live on $22,000 a year. You just need to live within your means.

For every person that feels they have a "right" to something, there is someone else who has the "responsibility" to pay for it.

I for one am tired of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Again, a statement showing prejudice and stereotyping. There is nothing wrong with single parent homes, many of them are MUCH better providers that two-parent homes. And many single parents have more income than two parents together.
The existence of single-parent homes that provide well for children doesn't counter the fact that a huge problem with children raised in poverty relates directly to single parents, and it isn't prejudiced or stereotyping to acknowledge it.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

There are 50 States in the United States plus another 190+ States in the world. They can do what Neanderthals had the common sense to do and that is hump it to another location where they can thrive and prosper.

"
Your hypothesis only worked until about 36,000 years ago, when Neanderthals, humping it with their common sense, stopped thriving and prospering and became extinct.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Now, on to the stats....you can live on $22,000 a year. You just need to live within your means.

For every person that feels they have a "right" to something, there is someone else who has the "responsibility" to pay for it.

I for one am tired of it.

Newsflash, you're a fool.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Quote:
I think that is way overblown.

What is considered poverty?

Our poor in America have a higher standard of living than 90% of the rest of the world.

When their parents have no cell phones, ipods, bling, etc. then i'll be a believer.

If it is true, obama's doing a hell of a job!

Learn to think............American rich have more money than many countries combined so what's your point? Yes American poor have it better than some African living in a mud hut taking a cow **** shower. But how do they compare to the richest Americans. IT"S ALL RELATIVE! That is the POINT! Got it? Good!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Learn to think...
I'm fairly sure they would need to be able to think so that they could learn to think. I guess they are just plain stuck.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
...it isn't prejudiced or stereotyping to acknowledge it.
That's true. I don't know why so many people think when someone acknowledges something exists, that the person is engaging in what they are acknowledging?

Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
According to a story on 60 minutes, 25% of American children are now being raised in poverty.
Does anyone know of something we can do to get started changing that?

Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:

I had no idea Bill (or is that you Warren???) trolled these forums!

For the rest of us? Most of us will never have the millions of dollars in cash reserves it would take to weather(and pay out-of-pocket for), say cancer, or a premature birth, coupled with the loss of a job and the denial of insurance. Sadly, those things really ~do~ happen.

That is why we have a government, it's why we pay taxes. It's why we have a somewhat (ahem) civil society.

I'm always amazed at those who fear "big gubermint" so fiercely, are instead willing to trust their live so easily, so completely, to "big bidness" instead.

Because we all know corporations do the Right Thing, All of the Time. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics