Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times

Advertisements

most of my driving is commute, so not much i can do to change that. if it became financially smart to change cars, i would do that. i dont really care much what i drive.

my wife's car isnt as good on gas (xterra) but she drives less. she does most of the weekend driving, which is especially significant in the summer when we travel to my mom's beach house most weekends. when it comes time for a new car for my wife, fuel efficiency will probably be an issue. she wants something beastly (infiniti qx56, tahoe) but that will probably be an issue in a couple years when the time comes. id rather make sacrifices myself than have my wife cut but ill see what i can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,418,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
NO!! Don't be an idiot and draft a semi.....EVER!

To draft and gain the car must be so close to the trailer that there is no room to stop or to see around into oncoming traffic. Plus the semi drive can't see you!

Be smart and leave the drafting to race tracks where the pro's are.
check out Discovery's Mythbuster episode on this. you get a mpg benefit even if you're a distance away from the truck. now, they did a test 1 ft from the truck as well and the benefit was insane, but now you're risking your life. but even at a couple car lengths, you'll see an increase in mpg. i never thought so either until they tested it on the show.

sorry, i should have clarified that you do it at a safe distance.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
check out Discovery's Mythbuster episode on this. you get a mpg benefit even if you're a distance away from the truck. now, they did a test 1 ft from the truck as well and the benefit was insane, but now you're risking your life. but even at a couple car lengths, you'll see an increase in mpg. i never thought so either until they tested it on the show.

sorry, i should have clarified that you do it at a safe distance.
It's matters not what was proved or disproved on Mythbusters since drafting a semi is just plain nuts being something those with a death wish would do. Shame on you for suggesting that drafting is safe.

If the semi drive can't see all of your car in his rear view mirror then you are to damn close!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It's matters not what was proved or disproved on Mythbusters since drafting a semi is just plain nuts being something those with a death wish would do. Shame on you for suggesting that drafting is safe.

If the semi drive can't see all of your car in his rear view mirror then you are to damn close!!!
yes, i realize that. "drafting" doesn't have to mean following at an unsafe distance. you apparantly did not read my entire post before you shamed me. you get a MPG benefit even if you're 3-4 car lengths behind a semi. i used to always pass them because i didn't like driving behind them (kick up rocks, etc). but now, if there's not a lot of cars around me, i'll cruise 3-4 car lengths behind a semi, where i can see both of his mirrors so he can see me.

no safety issues. he can see me, i have stopping distance, and i get better MPG.

please read my entire post before you criticize my actions. thank you.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
most of my driving is commute, so not much i can do to change that. if it became financially smart to change cars, i would do that. i dont really care much what i drive.

my wife's car isnt as good on gas (xterra) but she drives less. she does most of the weekend driving, which is especially significant in the summer when we travel to my mom's beach house most weekends. when it comes time for a new car for my wife, fuel efficiency will probably be an issue. she wants something beastly (infiniti qx56, tahoe) but that will probably be an issue in a couple years when the time comes. id rather make sacrifices myself than have my wife cut but ill see what i can do.
at least the Tahoe has a hybrid model to ease the pain a bit if she won't budge on what she wants. lol

Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,870 times
visit countries like Egypt, Russia etc. this will definitely change the driving habits

Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,060,239 times
My older Honda sedan typically gets 21 miles to the gallon in the city. Several years ago I was making regular trips from Maryland to Ohio on I-70. By setting my cruise control to 55 and minimizing my braking, I was routinely able to get 37 miles to the gallon, no drafting necessary.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
at least the Tahoe has a hybrid model to ease the pain a bit if she won't budge on what she wants. lol
i dont think she drives enough to make up the cost difference. the original plan was that id take the xterra when my car is paid in full and we would get her a new car. i like driving the xterra, but the gas will be a killer. so im thinking of keeping my car and then trying to keep her from going to crazy.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times
Quote:
yes, i realize that. "drafting" doesn't have to mean following at an unsafe distance. you apparantly did not read my entire post before you shamed me. you get a MPG benefit even if you're 3-4 car lengths behind a semi. i used to always pass them because i didn't like driving behind them (kick up rocks, etc). but now, if there's not a lot of cars around me, i'll cruise 3-4 car lengths behind a semi, where i can see both of his mirrors so he can see me.

no safety issues. he can see me, i have stopping distance, and i get better MPG.

please read my entire post before you criticize my actions. thank you.
There is absolutely no mpg benefit to driving anywhere close to any semi since the air flow behind a semi trailer will severly buffet and drag on a car COSTING MPG TO OVERCOME THE VIOLENT FOLDING BACK IN AIR FLOW!!

"Jeff has mentioned hypermiling here and here; it is the sport of squeezing a gallon of gas until it screams. One popular technique is drafting, or driving really close behind big rigs to get into the low-pressure zone created as they move through the air. According to Discover online, driving in this "free ride zone" not only save fuel for the tailgating driver, but also for the trucker, who is getting a little high pressure push.

Until something happens.

Tim Haab at Environmental Economics shows test results from Mythbusters:

* In scaled wind-tunnel tests, driving 100 feet behind a semi at 55 mph will reduce drag on your car by 40%. The drag reduction increases as you approach the bumper of the truck until you get a 93% drag reduction at a distance of 2 feet.

* In road tests, the testers achieved an almost 20% improvement in gas mileage at a distance of 100 feet (at 55 mph) and a 45% improvement at 10 feet.

Tim also calculates that at 100 feet you have 1.25 seconds to respond if the truck slams on the brakes, (keep off that cell phone) and at ten feet you have .124 seconds. The reccommended distance at 55 miles per hour is 150 feet.

Conclusions: there are better ways to save fuel

Drafting Behind Trucks: Does it Work? : TreeHugger

AND FINALLY......
Did you ever stop to think that some kid, or some half awake adult, will try your advice and die because of it???

BTW. this is not meant to be a personal attack on you as a person. My concern here is to undo really bad dangerous advice. OK?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,024,677 times
I think we'll need to see prices $10+ to make any changes as a society. That is disgusting.

We're being a lot more conscious of the trips we make and consolidating as much as possible. Cruise control and travel speed are big kickers -- and I'm still amazed how many people are still flying down the highway. I've seen about $10-12 price increase when I fill up our CRV with each fill up compared to 2 months ago. Multiplied by the 4-5 fill ups per month, this is running us an additional $40-60+ cost each month.

Not to mention the increase in cost for food and household good we're seeing. And we are already frugal with our spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics