Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM

165 posts, read 304,681 times

Advertisements

back to the barter system? underground gatherings away from the jew hunters and small pox terrorists?

LOL

thats it i'm moving to Northern Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
No, no one said anything about crazy extremist. You are making that part up.

But I was asking about where you were/are coming from, and your response is very telling.

Real question -- Do you understand the difference between Conservative and Neo-Con or Neo-Conservative?
if you are going to ask that then why not use the term paleoconservative also? im not a neo-con. i couldnt care less about any other country besides america. thats why i want to withdraw all our foreign bases and take our soldiers out of iraq, afghanistan and libya immediately.

unfortunately, i rarely get to listen to rush. of the talking heads i do get to listen to (john gambling, steve malzberg, sean hannity, mark levin) my favorite of those would be levin. he generally likes to avoid to social/religious stuff and stick to economics and the constitution. but my primary source of news information would be through the drudge report and all the different sites they link to. also, when im interested in particular issues i will search through the internet to find additional info wherever i can get it. i like numbers and financials so i like to go right to where i can see the numbers.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM

...Dude... those talking head shows and news sites are biased as hell. Just like CNN, Keith Olberdouche, Jon Stewart and well... you get the rest. I get my news from various sources outside of the United States (obvious Propaganda), then piece it all together with common sense. It's the only sane way these days

why would you voluntarily censor yourself?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
back to the barter system? underground gatherings away from the jew hunters and small pox terrorists?

LOL

thats it i'm moving to Northern Maine
Yeah, the freaks do belong out of polite society.

Someone on here was sending me invites for The Free State Project. Thought I would be one of their type. Whatever that may be. Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime I bet New Hampshire is ever so happy to have them.

Had a Dallas area Real Estate agent yelling at me and telling me to move to Montana after I was mentioning that all the houses she was showing us were 5 bathroom faux French castles that we would be embarrassed to live in. Turned out she and her lawyer husband lived the next street over.

So you are probably correct. It may be best to leave the fight to the fighters and move along.

But as far as the money stuff. You may be thinking a little too direct. The application is however you may like it. Some folks do the alternate and barter currency as you mention. Personally I like Schindler's approach (of Schindler List, if you are familiar). Take the Nazis' money and see they do not get their intended value of it. Either way, I think the Lakota Sioux had it correct -- Money is the White Man's Poison.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
It's actually a lot simpler than you think. Of course, everyone has to have buy-in, or it doesn't work.
We moved to a very small town where much of the economy is based on the barter system. If I need new boots, the bootmaker in town needs his mower reworked and his blades sharpened. If my friend has pigs, I have chickens and eggs, so we both have bacon and eggs for breakfast. My friend has lettuce, I have potatoes. The owner of the town restaurant needs shelving and advertising done, we get free dinners and suppers. If we need winter hay, the truck driver needs his chainsaws fixed. We only spend money on what we can't trade for; i.e., anything the government can get its paws on to tax.

It's an attitude of 'going Galt', passively refusing to participate as much as possible in the 'keeping up with the Joneses', credit on demand, tax and spend, entitlement, false prosperity. So while on the books we all look poor as church mice, we can still eat three squares a day and be comfortable - with a little extra effort.

That Free State Project to me looked like two things - 1) a false political/social movement, much like the communes of the sixties, that failed simply because some humans are leaders, some are followers, some are con artists, some are workers, and some are layabouts - and expecting the same input and outgo from every individual is a waste of time and effort; and 2) a way to put all of the same type of people in one place and put a target on their collective backs. Nope, not me, no thanks. I'm quite happy where I am, doing as I please, beholden to no one, bothering nobody, benefiting from my own work and effort - and not having to be the one out front, waving the signs and shrieking in sudden, angry, and heavily-manipulated protest against something that has been coming for over 70 years. The latter fact which most people heartily deny, prefering to point the finger at 'those other guys". Yawn. I have better things to do, and I'm busy, thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 PM

LOL @ that Cult waiting to happen in NH.

All i know is I've lived off 1 meal a day and no where to live and no showers etc. for a month and a half and god knows what else crazy insane things I've done in my 25 years. That's how bad it is I can't even remember. so I'm gonna be just fine if the proverbial stool hits the blades.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you are going to ask that then why not use the term paleoconservative also? im not a neo-con. i couldnt care less about any other country besides america. thats why i want to withdraw all our foreign bases and take our soldiers out of iraq, afghanistan and libya immediately.
hmmm, you might be a L I B E R A L --

know who THIS guy is?

Historic Vote to End Libyan War Expected Today

Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
...Dude... those talking head shows and news sites are biased as hell. Just like CNN, Keith Olberdouche, Jon Stewart and well... you get the rest. I get my news from various sources outside of the United States (obvious Propaganda), then piece it all together with common sense. It's the only sane way these days

why would you voluntarily censor yourself?
every source is biased to some degree. part of why i listen to those radio guys is because i know they are biased and i agree with their biases. i read enough stuff out there that i feel comfortable i have a good handle on whats going on. also, im a numbers and stats guy so i always look for hard data, so i can form my own conclusions.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
hmmm, you might be a L I B E R A L --

know who THIS guy is?

Historic Vote to End Libyan War Expected Today
isnt he the guy that sued the government because he hurt his tooth eating in the congress cafeteria?

he is quite a douche but the anit-libya effort is something we are on the same side on. not only dont i want to be in libya, but obama is putting us on the wrong side. just like clinton did in kosovo.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
It's actually a lot simpler than you think. Of course, everyone has to have buy-in, or it doesn't work.
We moved to a very small town where much of the economy is based on the barter system. If I need new boots, the bootmaker in town needs his mower reworked and his blades sharpened. If my friend has pigs, I have chickens and eggs, so we both have bacon and eggs for breakfast. My friend has lettuce, I have potatoes. The owner of the town restaurant needs shelving and advertising done, we get free dinners and suppers. If we need winter hay, the truck driver needs his chainsaws fixed. We only spend money on what we can't trade for; i.e., anything the government can get its paws on to tax.

It's an attitude of 'going Galt', passively refusing to participate as much as possible in the 'keeping up with the Joneses', credit on demand, tax and spend, entitlement, false prosperity. So while on the books we all look poor as church mice, we can still eat three squares a day and be comfortable - with a little extra effort.

That Free State Project to me looked like two things - 1) a false political/social movement, much like the communes of the sixties, that failed simply because some humans are leaders, some are followers, some are con artists, some are workers, and some are layabouts - and expecting the same input and outgo from every individual is a waste of time and effort; and 2) a way to put all of the same type of people in one place and put a target on their collective backs. Nope, not me, no thanks. I'm quite happy where I am, doing as I please, beholden to no one, bothering nobody, benefiting from my own work and effort - and not having to be the one out front, waving the signs and shrieking in sudden, angry, and heavily-manipulated protest against something that has been coming for over 70 years. The latter fact which most people heartily deny, prefering to point the finger at 'those other guys". Yawn. I have better things to do, and I'm busy, thanks.
Sounds like a great place, I envy you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics