Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times

Advertisements

With North Mississippi being huge in the furnitiure industry for decades and with most people working in the industry, many people are hurting now that so much of the industry is turning to China.

I know in our little town, several people are either laid off or working a very short work week. The trend is growing and they are worried about how to support their families.

Has this affected you, your family or anyone you know? What is the main thing being done to offset these losses, new jobs? And if so, in the same industry? Or has anyone gone back to school for retraining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 AM

I'm really glad to see that no one or any one they know has been affected by the furniture business closings. Maybe it is only bad here where I live.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 AM

60 posts, read 232,929 times
The furniture business slowdown hasn't affected me personally, but I live in NW Ms and have been looking for employment since the latter part of May. For 1 thing, there just aren't ft clerical admin positions available unless you want to drive way into Memphis, which I don't. My last job I drove 60 miles a day to Collierville! I need something ft with insurance and need to get away from my present insurance through my last employer at $633 a month covering myself and my husband.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Wow, I thought things were booming in the western part of North MS! Do you live near Oxford on Northwards? Yikes that stinks. I know the tri-county area around here, Lee, Pontotoc and Union are going to grow thanks to Toyota. Plans are in the works for tier one industries coming in and when industry comes in, other jobs follow. Yes, it is going to take a year or so to see many of these come to fruition but they will come.

I did not realize things were getting hard to find your way.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,178 times
I live in the delta and at the end of August I lost my job as office manager for a furniture store. Loss of job was not due directly with the slowdown of furniture business, but the owner had closed his second store (in a town 40 miles away) for that reason. I'm sure in due time (within the next year) that the store I worked out will too be closed..business was SLOW when I left. There are no job opportunities..I'm looking hopefully to move to Desota County, but having trouble finding housing that will accept my two dogs. If anyone reading my reply knows of any housing that will meet my needs, please let me know.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM

I live in Horn Lake, close to Southaven and Olive Branch. I believe there's a Frankline furniture company at Hernando, but not sure if it's still there or not.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:37 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Toyota and the associated businesses will bring many jobs to the NE part of the state. I had hoped that the furniture business was in better shape. Much production has moved overseas. I had a discussion with a salesman in a store and he said "we we get our stuff from ... over there.. we are putting other retailers out of business with our pricing". The salesman went on to say that the owner of the company was quite aware of this. All of the conversation was based on me asking for the "best price I could get". I still bought the table. I don't know if I would return to that store or chain again.

Squidlo

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Good morning Squido. It's a shame our country is so dependent on countries like China and we really need to start making our own products in our own country. We can't even buy toys without fear of lead poisoning, etc. We need to make our own fuel and get away from our supplier now and at the mercy of paying these ridiculous prices for gas. Something has to be done!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 AM

557 posts, read 1,675,668 times
I would like to know what percentage of Mississippi's furniture industry has gone to China over the past 10 years. 50%? 75%? Whatever it is, the numbers are staggering. And we are not the only ones hurting -- North Carolina's once-booming furniture industry, just like its textile industry, is virtually extinct.

I read recently that Mexico had enacted a 600% tariff on imported Chinese goods. Why won't our spineless politicans do that here?? Oh -- I forgot -- the Chinese own a large percentage of our $9 trillion national debt. Washington is probably afraid to do anything about the trade imbalance, or about the crappy Chinese products poisoning our kids.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Default read a content label lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
I read recently that Mexico had enacted a 600% tariff on imported Chinese goods. Why won't our spineless politicians do that here??
I am unsure that tariffs would help. Would the money received would actually get to the industries affected by overseas companies dumping goods here? I believe that America is unable to compete fully in a truly free market. We are playing by the rules. Countries like China protect their markets and exploit their own people. Been awhile since I've seen a buy American label on anything. We are always looking for the "best deal". Are we willing to pay a little more for American labor?

Squidlo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics