Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM

37 posts, read 93,849 times

Advertisements

Why is it that construction laborers, janitors and other hard labor intensive jobs give so little pay?

I find it unfair those workers break their backs doing those jobs and all they get is peanuts, the minimum wage.

Those people deserve more WAY MORE!! to make a decent living.

You can't make a decent living on 7.20 Dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM

927 posts, read 2,468,502 times
The reason the pay is so low is because people don't need to any prior skill or education to do those jobs, meaning that those workers are easily replaceable.

If you owned a business, you would you pay someone $20/hr to clean a toliet when someone else would do it for $7.20?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,210,621 times
Janitor is hard labor intensive?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,466,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post
Why is it that construction laborers, janitors and other hard labor intensive jobs give so little pay?

I find it unfair those workers break their backs doing those jobs and all they get is peanuts, the minimum wage.

It is simple economics, right? There is too much supply of those workers relative to the demand, and that's because those jobs generally require minimal specialized skill. And so the equilibrium market wage is low. The key lesson I took away from it all a long time ago is: try like hell not to be one of them, and invest carefully in specialized skills that increase your likelihood of higher pay. You generally get paid a lot more for moving things with your mind than you do with your hands.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Where are janitors and construction laborers only making $7.20/hour? Here the minimum wage is $9.04,
school janitors make $15/hour and up, union construction laborers are $21-$32/hour. Even the guys that hang around the Home Depot parking lot and don't speak English are getting $10-15.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,991,966 times
People are generally paid their replacement wage. That is true of both well paid professionals and unskilled/low-silled labor. The latter is easy to replace; hence its replacement cost is low.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 PM

927 posts, read 2,468,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You generally get paid a lot more for moving things with your mind than you do with your hands.
This is it. People who work with their mind control the people who work with their body. Is it fair? The people who work with their mind are more educated or have other skills than cleaning or physically moving products.

What's the lesson? Use your mind to make money, not your body.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 AM

180 posts, read 211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post

You don't even need a high school diploma for those jobs. It wouldn't be fair for someone with say 10 years of education to make the same as someone with 20 years of education right? That's 10 years of lost income or 10 additional years of income. But like other members said, you get paid more for using your mind rather than your hands. At least a janitor can go home and relax. The job responsibility ends when he/she clocks out. That can't be said for any manager. I understand your point though.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,971,179 times
It's because everyone has a back. Not everyone has acquired specialized knowledge that's why it has more value.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,928 times
Ideally you make money corresponding to how much you make or save for the company.

I've got about 15-20 people under me.

The CNC operator makes the company much more money than the part time guy who comes in and empties out the trash!

Am I going to pay the guy doing what I've done on my way out the door $23 that the guy making parts for me makes?

No, if nothing else I'll do it or give the extra time to one of our $8/ hour grunts.

Just like the owners don't want me doing the $8/hour job unless deadlines force it.

Those $8/hour types don't stay at work as long as necessary ether.
I've worked over 65 hours this week... Doing what needs doing.
They leave at 5
(which is why I haven't been around much!)

I also typically save about $4,500/ day for the owners not counting what other things I accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics