Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,391 times

Advertisements

and not overinflated professional sports salaries? Slap happy A-rod got paid in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

just curious. I think CEO pays should be limited and I also feel the same way about pro sports players
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,251 times
I think because people actually pay to see professional sports players play. They go to the games and enjoy it. The CEOs who bankrupt a company are stealing from us, from our 401ks and stocks.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:31 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
and not overinflated professional sports salaries? Slap happy A-rod got paid in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

just curious. I think CEO pays should be limited and I also feel the same way about pro sports players

what if you don't watch sports? And isn't paying hundreds of dollars for a decent seat at a sports venue "stealing" as well?

how are ceos stealing from you? especially if you don't own any of their stocks?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Which all why I believe we should tax the hell out of them. Nobody is worth that much money on their own.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
A-rod and other proffesional play dont hold thousands of employees livelyhood in there hands...

Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I think because people actually pay to see professional sports players play. They go to the games and enjoy it. The CEOs who bankrupt a company are stealing from us, from our 401ks and stocks.
Hello, you chose to invest your money that way. When you invest money in a company, there's an implicit understanding that those funds will be used to cover operating costs, investment - anything, really. All information about a company is publicly disclosed, so you can research this stuff before you invest.

Don't like it? Invest in real estate, gold, cash assets or your mattress.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

A-rod isn't driving our economy into the ground. His team, perhaps, but not the American economy.

CEOs on the other hand, have a large impact on their company. A good CEO means that your company will probably make positive decisions that will benefit the company. A bad CEO will drive one into bankruptcy. CEO salaries used to be justified because they took all the risk. This is no longer the case.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
I don't understand this either, some how the average Joe feels they are getting ripped off when the CEO gets paid well. But nobody forces a company to pay its CEO such and such. A successful CEO has the ability greatly increasing the company, just look at what Steve Jobs did when he returned to Apple. Is Steve Jobs worth multiple millions a year? YES! He makes the company (and share owners) far more than this.

Anyhow, this is the part of the economic meltdown where the masses try to find a scape goat instead of looking in the mirror.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

Don't like it? Invest in real estate, gold, cash assets or your mattress.
Or in small business in your own community.

Help build your own wealth, your own community and a future.

But gee, no Wall Street salesman is going to tell you that.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Or in small business in your own community.
Oh yes, but when those small businesses grow and become successful they magically all become evil! The vast majority of large corporations today were started as small local businesses. Are you only suppose to invest in them when they are small and local?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics