Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You all have a lot to learn about happiness if you think reducing problems means more happiness.

It does not . It may may make things easier but much of what constitutes happiness has nothing to do with bill paying.

Look how many wealthy people kill themselves or have mental issues over things that happened with family.

I would give any amount of money to have my two parents back who died over 25 years ago.
Not suprisingly: you miss the point.

Money won't MAKE you happy... But it will remove many barriers to happyness.

Example: my cat converter messed up today:
If I had no money, it would cause disharmony... As is, I made one phone call... And a little money will fix the problem.
Making it merely a minor bump in the road...

If it took all my money, I was unable to get to work etc... I would not be happy.

Money makes the path to happyness much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
no you miss the point , removing barriers does not make happiness. it may remove money problems but the fact is most money problems are driven by unhappiness in other areas. if the unhappiness was strictly a monetary issue then yes i agree but that is rarely the case.

how many people lose a loved one ,collect the life insurance and are now happy?

on the outside many situations look monetary but on the inside how you treat and deal with your finances and how you spend your money is a direct link to who you really are inside..

there is a very true saying ; i spend more then ,because i think less then.

damn i sound like suuzie ormann but the fact is it is very true.

over and over the same people get out of debt or make good money and voom right down the crapper again.

the common denominator is always the same. they are unhappy about their lives and it manifests itself in their feelings about money.

they are unhappy about themselves,or their jobs ,or their marriages ,etc,etc . the list goes on and on.

they complain about being in debt,they complain about their low pay, they complain about everyone and everything around them being responsible for their money issues.

the reality is it is none of the above, it is themselves comitting their own financial suicide from being unhappy.

you can argue this until the cows come home but it is a fact you cannot dispute.

i can get a flue shot and not be miserable being sick but it sure does not mean i am happy about my life.you can have the money issues in your life vanish with an inheritance and still not be happy about your life.

money is only a bandaid, it is an asprin when you are sick but it won't make you feel better about the things that keep you from being happy in life unless they were only money related, rarely the case.

but like i said you can get that inheritance but if you are unhappy about other things in your life dollars to donuts that money will be gone and spent as spending becomes the asprin..

you can disagree all you want but you will never convince me i am wrong.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-11-2013 at 03:53 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,084 times
Happiness is priceless. No amount of money can buy happiness. A wealthy man can have all material things and fame in his entire life but it is not an assurance that he is happy.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 AM

people tend to look at it as the tail waging the dog. they think if you get rid of money issues then you are closer to happiness. unless you can define happiness for that individual you cannot claim anything as being the case.

more ofton then not there are other issues creating the un-happiness and as i said above that manifests itself in the money issues and usually not the other way round .

usually the dog wags the tail and it is the unhappiness leading to the money issues. fix the money issues and things cycle right back around again to money issues eventually. it is like a drug user in most cases.

i witnessed this myself with so many people i have known. but you can see it first hand in all these people they have on suzies show week after week.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
If money can't buy happiness, then why don't we hear about rich people voluntarily getting rid of all their wealth and becoming poor? Perhaps they know better than to do something like that?

On the other hand, poor people rarely turn down any opportunity to become rich if only they're given a chance. Hmm... let's do the math here.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Why does someone not want to be sickly if they have money? They should still be happy then by your logic.....

the answer is you want money and to find happiness in life.

by the same token many poor who suddenly have money can still have other issues and not be happy..

illness,drugs,divorce and many many other issues can still leave you miserable.

health , money , love, security are all components of happiness but lacking anyone of them can still leave you quite unhappy.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Not suprisingly: you miss the point.

Money won't MAKE you happy... But it will remove many barriers to happyness.

Example: my cat converter messed up today:
If I had no money, it would cause disharmony... As is, I made one phone call... And a little money will fix the problem.
Making it merely a minor bump in the road...

If it took all my money, I was unable to get to work etc... I would not be happy.

Money makes the path to happyness much easier.
Money can never bring happyness, but it might bring happiness.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
people tend to look at it as the tail waging the dog. they think if you get rid of money issues then you are closer to happiness. unless you can define happiness for that individual you cannot claim anything as being the case.

more ofton then not there are other issues creating the un-happiness and as i said above that manifests itself in the money issues and usually not the other way round .

usually the dog wags the tail and it is the unhappiness leading to the money issues. fix the money issues and things cycle right back around again to money issues eventually. it is like a drug user in most cases.

i witnessed this myself with so many people i have known. but you can see it first hand in all these people they have on suzies show week after week.
Yep. Money problems are usually a symptom of emotional problems. For some reason, I know several people who were physically and sexually abused as children. Most of these people are horrible with money. They create a lot of crises in their lives and are not comfortable with any kind of stability, financial or otherwise. Some don't believe they deserve to have anything. While childhood abuse may seem like an extreme example, it applies in a lot of other situations as well.

William Stanley noted in his book "Stop Acting Rich" that people who felt they were poorer than their peers growing up tended to be overspenders in adulthood. It didn't matter if they were relatively well off or not. It had more to do with their position relative to their peers in their neighborhood, in school, etc. Once again, an example of an emotional issue manifesting as a financial issue.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If money can't buy happiness, then why don't we hear about rich people voluntarily getting rid of all their wealth and becoming poor? Perhaps they know better than to do something like that?

On the other hand, poor people rarely turn down any opportunity to become rich if only they're given a chance. Hmm... let's do the math here.
The short answer: Because people are bad at predicting what will make them happy. That's a consistent finding of psychologists who study happiness.

This is not to say being poor makes people happy. It goes back to the moderation concept. Once you go beyond a certain minimum threshold, having more money adds only small amounts of happiness or none at all.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 AM

when i went through managment training with some of the best consultants in the industry they asked us what was most important to us about a job.

over whelmingly we all said money.

by the end of the class money was last on the list . we learned once your basic survival is met meaning food and shelter money played a very little part overall on the list.

in fact 2 weeks after a raise an unhappy employee was unhappy all over again.

once you got that raise it meant little in your liking your job,you are already waiting the next one.

by the way number 1 on the list was being recognized by superiors for a job well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics