Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Exactly...

My 78 year old friend just finished reroofing his two car garage as we speak...

He knew exactly what he wanted... tear off, sheathing, double coverage felt and dimensional shingles.

Estimates were as high as $4,300.

Hired a 17 year old neighbor at $10 an hour who was complaining at not being able to find work.

Teen worked about 2 hours and said the work was too hard. My friend paid him for his time.

Anyway, all the "Too Hard" work and the entire job was completed by my 78 year old friend...

How hard could it have been?

By the way... the materials cost $1200 delivered... so the contractors were figuring $3100 for labor, profit and overhead or more since they could probably buy materials for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
If you're lucky enough and have enough quality mentors and other help and support from other people, you may be able to stand high enough on the shoulders of all these others to reach a point where you have more money than energy. There is simply nothing wrong with either an aspiration or an actuality of having it all and also having enough to hire people to take care of it all for you. This after all is about all the "job creation" that the wealthy actually do.
I'll tell you how to be a quality mentor. It doesn't require much and I've done it.

You come home from working hard all day and you see an 18 year old healthy kid laying on the couch playing video games. You tell him that you will not be supporting him and letting him eat your food if he's just going to lay around. You tell him you don't really care too much what kind of work he finds (as long as it's legal and moral) but he better get off his lazy rear end and do it.

That's the way to mentor. You can't take the attitude that people need pity. Compassion doesn't get them work skills, the only thing that gives you work skills is work itself. Bootstrappers sometimes got their start with a good solid boot in their backside to get them moving.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My 78 year old friend just finished reroofing his two car garage as we speak. He knew exactly what he wanted... tear off, sheathing, double coverage felt and dimensional shingles. Estimates were as high as $4,300.
Was this for a shed? A 25-year type redo would end up costing about $10 a square foot where I am.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'll tell you how to be a quality mentor. It doesn't require much and I've done it.
If I lived near you and had kids, I'd get a restraining order.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 AM

125 posts, read 167,572 times
Quote:

You come home from working hard all day and you see an 18 year old healthy kid laying on the couch playing video games. You tell him that you will not be supporting him and letting him eat your food if he's just going to lay around. You tell him you don't really care too much what kind of work he finds (as long as it's legal and moral) but he better get off his lazy rear end and do it.

That's the way to mentor. You can't take the attitude that people need pity. Compassion doesn't get them work skills, the only thing that gives you work skills is work itself. Bootstrappers sometimes got their start with a good solid boot in their backside to get them moving.
Typical right-wing bloviating rhetoric. The solution is not to compel that 18-year old to work, but for you to work harder in order to support his affinity for video games. Only then can you consider yourself a successful mentor.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
If I lived near you and had kids, I'd get a restraining order.
For making my kids grow up at age 18 and get jobs?

Actually the one I was talking about had two jobs but was laid off from the one for lack of work and was laying around weekdays but working on weekends and has worked since he was 15. No one in my home is going to lay around doing nothing. I'm not running a homeless bum shelter.

If you're really worried about that "boot in their backside" it didn't have to come to that. He just got up off the couch and found a full time job with benefits that same week.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
Typical right-wing bloviating rhetoric. The solution is not to compel that 18-year old to work, but for you to work harder in order to support his affinity for video games. Only then can you consider yourself a successful mentor.
Yeah I know -- I could ask hard working people to donate some of their income to show some compassion for a strong healthy 18 year old laying on the couch playing video games. Set up a fancy sounding charity and maybe between video games get some mentoring in.

Too bad for my kids, I only learned all my mentoring skills from my grandfather who managed to work all through the Great Depression and my dad. For some reason, getting through the depression with newspapers sewn in the lining of his jackets and cardboard to cover the holes in the soles of his shoes and doing any kind of job he could get didn't teach him that good kind of mentoring to pass down.

They also learned of that law in physics about inertia, "a body in motion stays in motion...."

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM

827 posts, read 1,090,013 times
Quote:
For making my kids grow up at age 18 and get jobs?

Actually the one I was talking about had two jobs but was laid off from the one for lack of work and was laying around weekdays but working on weekends and has worked since he was 15. No one in my home is going to lay around doing nothing. I'm not running a homeless bum shelter.

If you're really worried about that "boot in their backside" it didn't have to come to that. He just got up off the couch and found a full time job with benefits that same week.
Just ignore oaktonite; he's a nut.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 AM

125 posts, read 167,572 times
Quote:
Yeah I know -- I could ask hard working people to donate some of their income to show some compassion for a strong healthy 18 year old laying on the couch playing video games. Set up a fancy sounding charity and maybe between video games get some mentoring in.

Too bad for my kids, I only learned all my mentoring skills from my grandfather who managed to work all through the Great Depression and my dad. For some reason, getting through the depression with newspapers sewn in the lining of his jackets and cardboard to cover the holes in the soles of his shoes and doing any kind of job he could get didn't teach him that good kind of mentoring to pass down.

They also learned of that law in physics about inertia, "a body in motion stays in motion...."
You are getting warmer in terms of the solution. The paradigm has started to successfully shift in this country to one that Marx personally mused about. We must effectively take from those who have in order to give to the have nots. This is happening whether you or any of your right-wing friends like it or not. My multiple charities look to do the exact same thing. I strategically look to take from those who have, and give it to the have nots. What is even more assuring is that our government has finally gotten on board with this solution. The only caveat is that you must ensure the truly financial elite in terms of breadth of intelligence and fiscal acumen retain their fortunes to control the masses of inferior intelligence.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM

827 posts, read 1,090,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
You are getting warmer in terms of the solution. The paradigm has started to successfully shift in this country to one that Marx personally mused about. We must effectively take from those who have in order to give to the have nots. This is happening whether you or any of your right-wing friends like it or not. My multiple charities look to do the exact same thing. I strategically look to take from those who have, and give it to the have nots. What is even more assuring is that our government has finally gotten on board with this solution. The only caveat is that you must ensure the truly financial elite in terms of breadth of intelligence and fiscal acumen retain their fortunes to control the masses of inferior intelligence.

Woo Marx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics