Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

yes his whole rant has been quite entertaining. I actually Laughed Out Loud at most of it. Called my 75 year old husband to read it and after he read it he walked away shaking his head muttering something about "future of our country being in poor hands if this kid is serious."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace789 View Post
If your 18 and decide to live on your own thats your problem. Majority of college students still live with their parents so rent isn't a problem.
Oh, yeah? Times may have changed, but they haven't changed THAT much. I couldn't wait to graduate high school and go off on my own. It's called "growing up." Plus, I had a blast going to schools in great places like Denver and Boulder that I never would have gotten to experience had I stayed on living in podunkville with my parents. I spent a semester abroad in Brasil, visited Mexico and toured Europe when I went AWAY to college. Getting to do those things was a whole education in itself. I realize that these days economic hard times can force a college student to still live at home, but I'd advise any young person reading this to do everything they can to spread their wings. Your self confidence will go up; you'll meet all sorts of people you'd never otherwise meet and you'll get yourself into trouble and then get yourself out of it again - a good thing to learn that you can do without running first to Mommy or Daddy.

Quote:
Poor people DO get to go to college for free THATS WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. They don't pay a dime for college tuition. LOANS, FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS ARE ALL DIFFERENT.
No, they are not. Loans and scholarships are subsets of the broader term "Financial Aid." "Anyone" can NOT go into a bank and get handed a tuition loan on a silver platter. In fact, I'd be willing to wager a thousand bucks that your average 18-year old Joe (or Jill) Cool can not just stroll into the corner bank and come out clutching a 4-year tuition check in his hot little hand just on a promise and a handshake. That's why students from MIDDLE CLASS families, never mind poor ones must resort to government backed loans for college that for the 87 millionth time MUST BE PAID BACK. There's no free lunch, kid. You just want to justify your arrogant attitude toward a group of people that you feel superior to. If you're so scared that a commoner might brush against your hand and leave you defiled, why didn't you take your attitude, your vast scholarly abilities, and Daddy's money and go to Harvard instead of some crummy community college? Hmmmmm?

Quote:
Scholarships: ANYONE can get a scholarship and its FREE all you need to do is apply for a scholarship and if you meet the requirements you get the scholarship. There are scholarships for being gay, left handed, blind, cripple the list goes on and on .. Scholarships come in two different ways.
1. One time thing: here you win a scholarship and get money one time and thats it.
2. Continuous: here if you win a scholarship for your academic accomplishments then they pay for all of it or most of it depending on what the prize was. They are very strict to who they give these out too, you usually need to maintain a 3.5gpa to keep a scholarship like this.
So what's YOUR scholarship for since "anyone" can win one? Obviously, it's not for your scholarly accomplishments, so it must be one of those "left-handed-transexual-with-the-attitude-from-hell" type scholarships. Do tell us. Enquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
Please you act like its not true, im dominican (hispanic) and im not even offended because i know that is what these Mexicans do and its pathetic.
I'm a hillbilly from the Kentucky mountains and I'm not offended either even though everyone in Whitley County seems to have 6 kids, too. Everybody who is anybody has six kids these days - especially Catholics. Say aren't Mexicans usually members of the Catholic Church? In the case of Whitey County, I think folks just get bored.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well if you eliminated all aid, demand for college would drop
I would say somewhat but the bigger driving force at the moment are the junior-level, excuse me entry-level jobs that want 2+ years of experience and a relevant degree to even make the cute. Loans or no loans, jobs are the major driver for college degree demand.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
Quote:
By "go to college for free" i mean pay for the tuition. Without tuition there is no college hence "go to college for free". Oh and books are cheap you rent them for less than $100 (every student rents books) school supplies .. seriously? You make it sound like you need to buy crayons, No. You need a notebook and a pen. Parking is usually free? Food, everyone eats? What separates you from the 'wealthy' the fact that you pay NOTHING towards tuition is what separates you. Everyone else pays for what you just listed.

How much was your tuition compared to all the other things you paid for? How ignorant are you, YOU MAKE ME LAUGH. A person who does not receive financial aid gets $0 they get sh*t from the government where you got your fasfa and they paid for your college tuition for that semester. Those who DONT get help, they have to pay for college tuition + " books, school supplies, parking, food, and the rest of my tuition it did not cover. " like you said. The fact that you said "parking", makes me laugh even more. The money you make from working PAYS for the car you have, PAYS for the food you eat, the supplies and books you get. Meanwhile the person not getting any help doesnt even HAVE a car. They take public transportation why? Because all of there money is being directed towards college tuition + all of the other things you said. You have it easy. Enjoy your life depending on government aid. The poor will always stay poor because of people like you and your mentality. You wanna have a career with a degree? Pay the sh*t yourself.
Do you not realize that every single citizen can borrow federal money from the government which is called, "financial aid?" The government posts the limit for each year.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Do you not realize that every single citizen can borrow federal money from the government which is called, "financial aid?" The government posts the limit for each year.
Yep, my parents faced that when my brother went to college. They made "too much" and we were middle class. Topic fail for the OP.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Your 75 years old (since your husband is im only guessing, unless your 25 and you're a gold digger) you don't even know what day of the week it is. Take your medicine, come back with your reading glasses on and READ what i have wrote and i know its hard for you to think but just think. This isn't 1955 anymore, its 2014 with a whole new set of economical problems. Your thoughts don't mean jack sh*t to this new generation. Our country has been DESTROYED thanks to YOUR generation, enjoy those social security checks because without us you won't get anything WE pay for your checks.
You are the biggest arrogant jerk I've run into in a long time.
My 75 year old husband still works full time, has raised 7 kids (four of whom are adopted), doesn't take 1 pill and could beat your sorry butt into the ground if he wanted to. But he's too busy working, being a terrific hands on father, volunteering and being an active member of our community.

But you keep right on spouting off your filthy mouth and someday somebody is going to stick their fist right in the middle of it. But I doubt you have the balls to spout your ridiculous theories in person cause it is so much easier and safer to hide behind your computer. Now go pop your pimples, change your dirty underwear and ask Mommy to make your supper cause I know you can't do a damn thing on your own. If you could you wouldn't be 18 and still on the teat.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
My opinion - you are intelligent, observant and I like your thinking. I also agree people need to get off their dead butts and WORK and plan ahead and stop leeching off we tax payers. I am sick and tired of supplementing and supporting the lazy bastards who think the government should support/help them.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
Quote:
Your 75 years old (since your husband is im only guessing, unless your 25 and you're a gold digger) you don't even know what day of the week it is. Take your medicine, come back with your reading glasses on and READ what i have wrote and i know its hard for you to think but just think. This isn't 1955 anymore, its 2014 with a whole new set of economical problems. Your thoughts don't mean jack sh*t to this new generation. Our country has been DESTROYED thanks to YOUR generation, enjoy those social security checks because without us you won't get anything WE pay for your checks.
If anything, her generation would know more about hard work than those of our generation.

I go to a university that costs just short of $61,000 per year. I could easily stoop to your level and take shots at you for coming from a poor household where you HAD to work.

It wasn't until recently that I acquired 2 jobs, one of which is really good with great networking and the other I'm working at because I hope to train and become a certified fitness instructor. But I don't have to work and neither do a majority of my sorority sisters or friends I have.

Again, just because you were forced to work because you're lower class doesn't mean that all poor people can find the TIME to save up for college. When they work in high school it's not for college, it's to help pay the bills at home.

And while I've already said that students need to be smart about the schools they attend (go to a CC first, then transfer and opt for scholarships/grants before student loans), there are limits on the loans. And there are the people who make too much to receive enough financial aid to cover school expenses, yet don't make enough to actually put themselves or their children through school.

Sure, they can work part time and even obtain a work study job, but the money they make still won't be enough to cover their expenses because the aid they'll be awarded will still be too little (cause their parents make too much) to actually pay for tuition/housing/books/extra fees

You're just coming across as a bit arrogant in some regards.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 PM

18 posts, read 24,975 times
You are considered middle class at 90 to 100 K. And you were able to live where you are rent free and your parents provided for you while you "saved" your money. Actually if you had to pay for everything out of pocket, you wouldn't have one cent because housing, cable, phones, computer, internet, video streaming, clothing, electricity, cars, gas, food, taxes on everything would take ALLLL your money. Your parents came here and yes, worked their butts off, but did it at the HOSPITALITY of someone who was already here and had a place for them to stay, as you say, for MANY years.

So I think that, in the end, we all have a HAND from SOMEONE helping us out, family or not family. And to restrict poor people (SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE POOR) the right to an education and make education a privilege instead, is something that you will need more life experience to understand more. Because without an education, these days, it's becoming tougher to make a good living. I don't know if you have travelled or whether you have simply stayed put where you are at, so I can only go by what you write.

But your humble beginnings should have taught you that hard work gets you success but it also means that when you get to that level of success, there's no shame to pay out of pocket and no shame to pay it forward. Because helping another get an education is very similar to what your parents experienced when they needed help. They didn't come here self-made, they needed help. That's all I'm saying. Someone had to help someone. If no one helped your parents, you wouldn't be here, enjoying the fruit of their labors.

I come from humble beginnings myself. Both parents with no high school diploma and ignorance in both families was rampant. They didn't value education but my parents taught us kids that if we didn't get one, we would be resigned to be doing things we didn't want to do and forget about having pride or dignity in oneself. We didn't want to be like our "family". We wanted a better life and knew education was a key.

Once I get myself situated by working hard and making that money, I'm paying it forward by sending those kids with less to get that education. Education moves people up not down.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:22 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
It's not financial aid that's driving up tuition. It's an overall lack of price transparency, and the corporatization of higher education -- the college bureaucracies are growing exponentially, and someone has to pay for them. It's not all that dissimilar from why health care is so expensive in this country.

College should be affordable enough that anyone can afford it, so I don't really see any virtue in bragging about how you've worked hard to save up for it. It's like bragging that you saved up enough to pay for your triple bypass, and too bad for anyone else who can't afford it. College shouldn't be something out of reach for the poor kid with good grades, or for anyone looking to better themselves. If college costs so much that young people need grants and loans to pay for it, that's where the problem lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics