Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Boy are you missing the point. Middle class is about being able to have a family and afford to be able to provide food, shelter, and a little bit extra for them. That's not possible for the average person today. Wages have collapsed. Our standard of living has collapsed, regardless of whether people can afford cheap Chinese junk tvs for a measly couple hundred bucks.

One final point-
When I was a kid in the 80's, every family provided new clothes for kids as they grew up. There was no such thing as second hand clothing except for the hopelessly destitute. Nowadays it's common for families to clothe their children with 2nd hand clothing. This is not progress.

That's really just working class, not middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM

893 posts, read 885,486 times
Quote:
Boy are you missing the point. Middle class is about being able to have a family and afford to be able to provide food, shelter, and a little bit extra for them. That's not possible for the average person today. Wages have collapsed. Our standard of living has collapsed, regardless of whether people can afford cheap Chinese junk tvs for a measly couple hundred bucks.

One final point-
When I was a kid in the 80's, every family provided new clothes for kids as they grew up. There was no such thing as second hand clothing except for the hopelessly destitute. Nowadays it's common for families to clothe their children with 2nd hand clothing. This is not progress.
You have selective memory.

I was also a kid in the 80's and I had lot's of 2nd hand clothing. My kids and their friends have lived much better than I and my friends did.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM

893 posts, read 885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
you think a person making $34k in US has a living standard comparable to the global elite?
go back and READ. Try it. You might learn.

Our bottom 10% live no worse quality of life than the worlds TOP 10%.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
The average person knows more about The Simpsons than he does American history.

The average wealthy person is well educated.....80% have college degrees......Half are self employed.

There is a connection.

The average person is too stupid to connect the dots.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
go back and READ. Try it. You might learn.

Our bottom 10% live no worse quality of life than the worlds TOP 10%.

you have to be in the global top 10% just to rent a 100 sq ft room?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
We have a government that allows illegals to enter this country and destroy good middle class jobs with stagnate wages or even worse stolen jobs.

It's the wealthy who are hiring them, why not complain about that aspect. During the Real Estate Building Boom, not only did many wealthy developer seek out illegals, many found ways to insure the direct access and pathway was wide open for illegals. But no one said a word to the developers who supported illegal labor.
It is again wealthy people who run sweat shops and seek out the illegals.

Don't blame it on the illegals, blame it on the American who seek them out.

In the 1980's, 1990's and early 2000's, everyone wanted a Mexican housekeeper, a mexican handi man or gardner, and they sought out mexicans for child care and some resulted to raise many kids who knew more about the mexican maid than they knew about their own parents.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's really just working class, not middle class.

Don't all classes, even the [gasp!] upper classes, work?

Clearly, the term "working class" frosts my pumpkin.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Wow, I guess all those "skill workers" were just born that way. I'm glad you weren't around when I was unskilled. So nice of you to put that iron ceiling above those unskilled.

of course not, they had school, training, apprenticeships, mentors.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Don't all classes, even the [gasp!] upper classes, work?

Clearly, the term "working class" frosts my pumpkin.

historically, the 'upper class' was defined by having great wealth and not having to work.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
One final point-
Boy were you sheltered.

Shopping at the Salvation Army stores or Church Bazars did not start around 1985.
Clothes have always been passed down through families or donations.

I had a friend who was the 5th son. By the time he got his brothers stuff it was totally worn out.

Talk to your Grandmother about when she grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics