Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times

Advertisements

The elections are over, gas prices will go up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:58 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
I paid $2.69 in Las Cruces yesterday.

Last time gas wasn't too high for me it was about $1.35/gallon and I'd just bought a car that got 40 mpg on the highway. With carpool partners I rarely had to pay much to get to work That car was cheap too!

Some of us like efficient for the sake of it, we don't need some preachy politico telling us what's what

Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The problem is US crude on average cost more to recover. At a point the drilling will slow and many smaller drilling companies will go under just like after the 70's embargo ended . Creating less US production. That is pretty much the Saudi's play now in discounting the price to US refiners. One reason we need to approve the pipelines to lower transport cost added to crude besides safer transport than rail. We also need drop the no crude foreign sales to lower world market price and create market for US crude that is more stable. Who do you think brought about the middle east production increase after embargo; ex-US drillers and oil men.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
People don't WANT to burn more fossil fuels, they simply have no other options. I'd love to have an all electric car- but they cost too much, and don't have the range of my regular car. Those of us with modest means can't just go and replace our car if a new fangled one came out tomorrow that burned something completely clean and of unlimited supply- we don't have any other options. We need to get around, need to go places, and so lower gas prices are GOOD so we can afford to do those things! To sit back and hope for high prices so that advancement comes is ridiculous because it means you hope for hardship for millions of us who are not rich or extremely comfortable.

Agree completely. They have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Sure they do. Live closer to work, carpool, plan errands ahead of time, have a smaller vehicle, even an affordable hybrid. Ride a bike rather than driving when practical.

Millions of American families share a car and drive less than 7,500 miles a year. If you prioritize it, it can be done.
Not everyone lives in your ideal world.

I live 3 miles from work. I do not walk, nor ride my bike. Why? Well, I have to take quite a lot of stuff back and forth with me, so it is not practical, not to mention I would have to cross a major highway that does not have a pedestrian crossing, unless I were to walk 3 miles further down. No thanks. Not to mention, it is dark when I leave and dark when I come home, so purely for safety, I drive.

Carpool? No one I work with lives near me, so I'd have to again go out of my way (or they go out of their way) to make that one work.

I drive a sedan. It must be big enough to haul things when I need to. It works.

Hybrid? I would not recoup the cost of one, based on my 11K miles per year.

My dad drives a big pickup truck. He drives about 30 miles every day for lunch. Why? Because that is his social time, his connection with people, his sanity. He needs the truck to haul things for the farm, where he lives and still works, as well as navigate snow covered roads. You want him to stop doing that?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am loving the new lower prices. I haven't seen them this low in years. I normally pay about $ 4 a gallon for premium, maybe a little more, but I just paid $ 3.38 and they can keep it there forever, as far as I am concerned.

This is a figure I can live with.

Don

Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The elections are over, gas prices will go up soon.
Ha!

Old 11-06-2014, 06:54 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Agree completely. They have no choice.

Not everyone lives in your ideal world.

I live 3 miles from work. I do not walk, nor ride my bike. Why? Well, I have to take quite a lot of stuff back and forth with me, so it is not practical, not to mention I would have to cross a major highway that does not have a pedestrian crossing, unless I were to walk 3 miles further down. No thanks. Not to mention, it is dark when I leave and dark when I come home, so purely for safety, I drive.

Carpool? No one I work with lives near me, so I'd have to again go out of my way (or they go out of their way) to make that one work.

I drive a sedan. It must be big enough to haul things when I need to. It works.

Hybrid? I would not recoup the cost of one, based on my 11K miles per year.

My dad drives a big pickup truck. He drives about 30 miles every day for lunch. Why? Because that is his social time, his connection with people, his sanity. He needs the truck to haul things for the farm, where he lives and still works, as well as navigate snow covered roads. You want him to stop doing that?
Sure, not everyone can do all or even most of those things I listed. The point being, even if you can do just one thing on my list, you use a more modest amount of fuel.

No need to attack me for being idealistic - you already do your part by living just 3 miles from work!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I don't know how you all are noticing gas prices, but with crude trading under 80.00/bbl, I would have expected refined gasoline at the pumps to be at least another 20% less. Our prices in central Alabama are among the lowest in the nation, but have been stubbornly clinging to 2.75-2.85 for regular.

I know the station owners are VERY reluctant to lower when prices are dropping, but they must be making some dough right now, as consumers are happy to see prices this low. I'd like to see if lower, as I know they are going to jack those prices up should oil turn around, as it's notorious to do.

Anyone else with this observation?
Many years ago I operated a Service Station. We leased the station and got the gas on consignment. The gas company controlled the price. They would call with a price change and we had to give them the pump readings. No way to hold off on decreasing the pump price.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:23 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I don't know how you all are noticing gas prices, but with crude trading under 80.00/bbl, I would have expected refined gasoline at the pumps to be at least another 20% less. Our prices in central Alabama are among the lowest in the nation, but have been stubbornly clinging to 2.75-2.85 for regular.

I know the station owners are VERY reluctant to lower when prices are dropping, but they must be making some dough right now, as consumers are happy to see prices this low. I'd like to see if lower, as I know they are going to jack those prices up should oil turn around, as it's notorious to do.

Anyone else with this observation?
The station by my house was $2.59 this morning. But then, SC has the lowest prices in the country, for the most part.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:14 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Many years ago I operated a Service Station. We leased the station and got the gas on consignment. The gas company controlled the price. They would call with a price change and we had to give them the pump readings. No way to hold off on decreasing the pump price.

I had a friend who worked at a station like this and she told me sometimes the would be told to changes prices 3 times in one day -- always higher of course. I never understood this -- the gas in the tanks were bought at one price, yet that same gas being sold for higher and higher prices. Nothing like a monopoly on gas prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics