Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:22 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times

Advertisements

I know a fella who was born poor in Cleveland. Worked his way through college working 3 jobs, came to California with $ 600 to his name, knocked around in different jobs before becoming a real estate appraiser. 23 years later and he has a net worth over $ 2.5 million. He earned it $ 350 at a time. The secret is to live comfortably but below your means and work really really hard at something you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Do you know any self-made millionaires? And if so, what are the most consistent traits that you see among them? We're talking about people who were able to go from being a member of the middle class community, to becoming a millionaire. Do you find that there's any general commonalities among people who were able to achieve millionaire status?
I had a relative who went from dirt poor without even 3 meals a day growing up to a multi-millionaire. He went to college on scholarships, got a law degree, got a great law job, worked hard to make partner at the firm ASAP, had a family, but was able to save money and invested that. Upon passing away he left at least 3 million. The main trait was working hard, single-mindedly working toward the goal of busting out of poverty. Growing up in miserable conditions on 1 meal/day, or two on a good day, is a strong motivator.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:44 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I doubt spending $100K per year as a retiree has all that much correlation with high net worth. I'd bet the majority of retirees spending like that have defined benefit pensions. Two married retired teachers in the Northeast certainly have more than $100K coming in.

The 70%th percentile for net worth of retirees is about $300K. There just aren't that many households with enough investable assets to throw off that kind of passive income...
When I claim my wife's and my SS benefits at 70, the check will be $62,000 a year. That is not taxable if we have no other income, so you can get pretty close to $100K just with SS and a million in a Roth… that is not exactly my investment profile but I am saying you can spend $100K without being HNW.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:52 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When I claim my wife's and my SS benefits at 70, the check will be $62,000 a year. That is not taxable if we have no other income, so you can get pretty close to $100K just with SS and a million in a Roth… that is not exactly my investment profile but I am saying you can spend $100K without being HNW.
I'm sure this is theoretically possible, but I doubt it's common.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 AM

106,733 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i could never see delaying retirement 8 years after getting a taste of it . so i would think anyone who actually does retire earlier like ourselves and uses their own assets has substantial assets in traditional ira's since for most of our careers roths didn't exist . .

those rmd's combined with that large ss check would leave very few not getting their ss taxed .

in theory i can come up with all sorts of ways after the fact it could be done but in practice very unlikely .

Old 12-04-2015, 01:47 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Yeah Roth became available in 1998 with an initial contribution max of $2,000.

Quick math shows if you maxed it our every year you'd have contributed about $70k thru 2015, you'd have to have some serious returns or paid lots of income tax on giant Roth conversions to get anywhere near a million.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:49 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
The secret is to live comfortably but below your means and work really really hard at something you enjoy.
I don't even think enjoying it is a requirement. Grind away at a well paying job you despite while living well below your means for long enough and you'll still amass wealth.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:06 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Can you do it with kids?

My wife and I (33 and 30) are on the fence about having kids; one of my concerns is that kids will eat up all of our income and we'll never be able to retire. As it is now, we are able to save 29% of our income but that's running things pretty tight. I will never make much more money than I do now (51K with about 3% raises every year capping out around $80K) although I have about as stable employment as anyone can get. She may increase her income (about 25K now, she can make at least 40K in my opinion - she is working way below her potential).

We're running out of time to have kids, but everyone we know our age spends a fortune on their kids, don't know if we can do it and still save money.

This is one of those questions that runs into that "is $1MM or some other high figure of savings & net worth late in life worth sacrificing lifestyle" type decisions.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:00 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Can you do it with kids?

My wife and I (33 and 30) are on the fence about having kids; one of my concerns is that kids will eat up all of our income and we'll never be able to retire. As it is now, we are able to save 29% of our income but that's running things pretty tight. I will never make much more money than I do now (51K with about 3% raises every year capping out around $80K) although I have about as stable employment as anyone can get. She may increase her income (about 25K now, she can make at least 40K in my opinion - she is working way below her potential).

We're running out of time to have kids, but everyone we know our age spends a fortune on their kids, don't know if we can do it and still save money.

This is one of those questions that runs into that "is $1MM or some other high figure of savings & net worth late in life worth sacrificing lifestyle" type decisions.
Kids help me and my husband set priority, we would have squandered all of our money otherwise. I think 33 and 30 are still youngish. I've put almost 2 kids through college, one half year left for one, the other one graduated from a pricy private school and we still have plenty left over to retire early for me at 55.
I've always told my kid that each one of them is worth at least a million, so I'd say go for it. You become millionaires sooner with kids.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:51 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't even think enjoying it is a requirement. Grind away at a well paying job you despite while living well below your means for long enough and you'll still amass wealth.
Enjoying it isn't a requirement, but it sure makes it a better experience! Not always possible though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics