Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
wow most of these posters have no human decency.... Do any of you realize how expensive health insurance is? Without the Affordable Care Act, 7-8 million people wouldn't have health insurance do to the cost. And for these people, just 1 medical emergency could have ruined there lives for multiple years as they would struggle to pay astronomical medical costs.

As for the job it's just despicable that companies can do that here, you would never see something like this in Europe, Canada, Australia, ect. The US government has completely failed to serve and protect the people. On dollar should read "In Money We Trust" and the pledge of allegiance should be to the dollar.....
Yea, at 54 I get to pay for maternity care and dental care for children but don't have dental care myself. I'm self pay. I now pay almost 35% higher insurance premiums and get less coverage. And OP's girlfriend has to work crazy hours and can't get full time.

But yea, that's human decency, making others work to pay for those who won't.

Sorry ripcity, I'm all sypathied out. I'm tired of supporting people who can't make their lips form the word "no".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Quote:
I think they had that "freedom" in communism. At any rate, the impression I got was that the atmosphere of oppression was not what they expected of the US.
Tell that to the people who were caught trying to leave communist Poland or Bulgaria without permission. Oh, that's right, you can't, because they were either sent to the prison or shot. And at any rate, the atmosphere of oppression was what they got at that job, not in the US in general which was what communism in Poland and Bulgaria offered.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
The NY Times did an exposé about this practice last year, with a focus on Starbucks. Apparently Starbucks claimed they didn't know this practice was widespread and that it depended on the manager. But I guess the press was bad enough about it that they decided to address it.

First article Working anything but 9 to 5

2nd article Starbucks to Revise Policies to End Irregular Schedules for Its 130,000 Baristas

Third article In Service Sector, No Rest for the Working

Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Business talked about the effects of the ACA. This man was reelected which sealed the deal to not repeal the ACA. Can't wait to see what all happens when it finally gets fully implemented. Most of the people complaining about the repercussions it has wrought to American jobs voted for this.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Quote:
Yea, at 54 I get to pay for maternity care and dental care for children but don't have dental care myself. I'm self pay. I now pay almost 35% higher insurance premiums and get less coverage. And OP's girlfriend has to work crazy hours and can't get full time.
I agree 100%. My employer based health and dental insurance premiums have DOUBLED over the last two years, and the copays and deductibles have gone way up too, so I'm paying a lot more and getting much less. And they wonder why the economy is sputtering and consumers aren't spending!

Even is you take RipCity's 7-8 million number and round it up to 10 million, that's a mere 3.2% of the total US population of appox 320 million. While I feel for those people, it simply isn't worth the damage that Obamacare has wreaked upon the rest of us and the economy in general. And mark my words, the worst of this socioeconomic nightmare is still to come.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Business talked about the effects of the ACA. This man was reelected which sealed the deal to not repeal the ACA. Can't wait to see what all happens when it finally gets fully implemented. Most of the people complaining about the repercussions it has wrought to American jobs voted for this.
They were warned about the negative effects of Obamacare. Young hipsters thought it was cool to vote for the Obama. The liberal media and democrats attacked anyone who tried to stop it. Now everyone gets to suffer the consequences of Obamacare, the democrat creation.

OP, don't blame the business, blame politicians like Obama, Reid and Pelosi.

"We got to pass it to see what's in it"
-- Nancy Pelosi

Last edited by petch751; 05-08-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I agree 100%. My employer based health and dental insurance premiums have DOUBLED over the last two years, and the copays and deductibles have gone way up too, so I'm paying a lot more and getting much less. And they wonder why the economy is sputtering and consumers aren't spending!

Even is you take RipCity's 7-8 million number and round it up to 10 million, that's a mere 3.2% of the total US population of appox 320 million. While I feel for those people, it simply isn't worth the damage that Obamacare has wreaked upon the rest of us and the economy in general. And mark my words, the worst of this socioeconomic nightmare is still to come.

Listen to Obama campaigning in 2012. Look at those Obama supporters, they actually believed Obama when he said. "Premiums will decrease 3000% so you should get a raise when H'care Is passed".

Obama had to be laughing his ass off at them. Politicians! but democratic politicians are the worst, they claim they are here to help and they make it much worse then blame everyone else for the fallout.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:59 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

But yea, that's human decency, making others work to pay for those who won't.
You are pre-supposing that they have the opportunity but refuse, which is not the same thing as not having the option in the first place.

It's some of both, I would argue. Both a lack of willingness to take one's opportunities and a lack of opportunities are very real issues in the real world. Left-wingers tend to frame their arguments in terms of those with a lack of opportunities, and right-wingers tend to focus on those who have the opportunities but choose not to utilize them. America has become so hyper-polarized that it seems the sensible voices are not heard enough - the ones that realize that both of these issues are real and pretending either is a made-up problem is delusional, regardless of which one you pick.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You are pre-supposing that they have the opportunity but refuse, which is not the same thing as not having the option in the first place.

It's some of both, I would argue. Both a lack of willingness to take one's opportunities and a lack of opportunities are very real issues in the real world. Left-wingers tend to frame their arguments in terms of those with a lack of opportunities, and right-wingers tend to focus on those who have the opportunities but choose not to utilize them. America has become so hyper-polarized that it seems the sensible voices are not heard enough - the ones that realize that both of these issues are real and pretending either is a made-up problem is delusional, regardless of which one you pick.
When libs and dems stop wanting to tax the bejesus out of everyday hard working people who have succeeded and trying to build wealth to take care of their own family. When you force people to give something they worked hard for to support people who've made bad decisions but blame everyone else what do you expect? When you blame you don't learn from your mistakes.

Why should I or anyone else who busts their butts be forced to support people with the "you owe me" attitude?

Have a listen to this one. In her mind, the tax payer owes her because she has 15 kids. Look at the kids in the background, what do you think she is teaching those kids?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateoftheEconomy View Post
Me and my GF are both college graduates, and
English major?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics