Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 02:43 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

No fools that is clearly a collapse of retail, and requires at least three exclamation points to punctuate.

Imagine a one percent drop, that would be labeled an apocalyptic event on par biblical fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
A lot more news coming in recently.

Next stop is my favourite WalMart.

WalMart To Fire 16,000 As It Closes 269 Stores Globally

WalMart To Fire 16,000 As It Closes 269 Stores Globally | Zero Hedge

Definitely more "plumbing" is coming.

And i love WalMart
While that graphic is funny, it doesn't represent reality. Assume a firm had two employees earning the same, employee "A" and employee "B." If they didn't need A they would fire A regardless of B's wage. However, if they needed A while B got a raise, they wouldn't fire A because they need his/her labor. Thus, the wage change for one employee is not a factor in retention for the other employee.

The Card-Krueger study, not only found that there is no negative effect on employment, if anything, there is a positive effect.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While that graphic is funny, it doesn't represent reality. Assume a firm had two employees earning the same, employee "A" and employee "B." If they didn't need A they would fire A regardless of B's wage. However, if they needed A while B got a raise, they wouldn't fire A because they need his/her labor. Thus, the wage change for one employee is not a factor in retention for the other employee.

The Card-Krueger study, not only found that there is no negative effect on employment, if anything, there is a positive effect.
In 1968, the inflation-adjusted minimum wage was $10.25. $25.00/hour would be a problem. $10.00 didn't cause mass firings 50 years ago and it won't now.

Personally, I have never hired anyone for low wages like that. Anybody only worth $10.00/hour is going to totally suck at their job and need to be watched like a hawk. My time is far too valuable to be supervising low quality people doing work for me. Around me, high school age babysitters get paid more than that.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In 1968, the inflation-adjusted minimum wage was $10.25. $25.00/hour would be a problem. $10.00 didn't cause mass firings 50 years ago and it won't now.

Personally, I have never hired anyone for low wages like that. Anybody only worth $10.00/hour is going to totally suck at their job and need to be watched like a hawk. My time is far too valuable to be supervising low quality people doing work for me. Around me, high school age babysitters get paid more than that.
I can't comment on the second paragraph. But there are positive macro economic effects, such as putting more money in the hands of people who have a high propensity to consume.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:16 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Again, we've villanized anything that takes better care of America's workers, who, again, are also consumers. 70% of US economy. Need more examples? Note all of the hand-wringing over oil prices right now...Meanwhile, all of us going to work and making a wage for our labor are enjoying the fruits of much lower gas. Not a bad thing.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its because of inflation. Too much money out there chasing too few goods. All you have to do is look at the empty shelves to know its inflation.

I always wondered why they weren't blocking the streets with pallets of hundred dollar bills during the protests...There is just too much money. We don't want it all. We are being smothered with it.
too much debt not enough income.

Global economy. GWP. Move a job from a $20 hr job market to a $1 a day job market and GWP goes down by the difference. Unless you paper over the difference with new debt. Debt bubble. Upping wages balances debt to income. Not here but in the lower value labor markets. Pump them up to US minimum wage and then those dollars out there have demand for them.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
How about all the jobs being moved to the United States from other countries. Mostly higher wage jobs. Just on industry is the auto industry. Only 2 auto companies are American Owned, but there are 11 foreign owned auto companies in the USA. More autos are being built by foreign owned companies, than by American owned companies.

And that is just a tip of the iceberg. Many industries have foreign owned manufacturing plants in the U.S. all hiring American workers. Here is a list which is not up to date, of companies with their home country shown, that have facilities in the USA hiring our citizens to work for them.

Foreign Companies Registered and Reporting with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Geographic Listing by Country of Incorporation, 2003

Sure some American jobs have gone overseas, but what we need to consider is how many good pay jobs, are in the USA hiring Americans.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Danger signs at the mall? More empty storefronts

Quote:
Though the shift to online shopping is no doubt playing a role in lighter foot traffic at malls, there's more to their changing economics than the rise of Amazon. Changing demographics in a town are another reason a shopping center could struggle or fail — for example, if massive layoffs in a particular industry cause people to move away to find employment.

"A lot of people want to try and tie it to the Internet or 'that's not cool,' or teens don't like it," Jesse Tron, a spokesman for industry trade group International Council of Shopping Centers, told CNBC last year. "It's hard to support large-format retail in those suburban areas when people are trying to just pay their mortgage."
Not saying that this is necessarily an indication of recessionary times to come, but...

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Full blown recession is coming guys.

Not just retail i'm afraid.

There is a war on durable goods

Durable Goods Devastation: Capital Goods Orders Crash To Fresh Crisis Lows, Scream Recession | Zero Hedge

Old 01-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Full blown recession is coming guys.

Not just retail i'm afraid.

There is a war on durable goods

Durable Goods Devastation: Capital Goods Orders Crash To Fresh Crisis Lows, Scream Recession | Zero Hedge
War on durable goods?
Ford just posted record profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics