Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times

Advertisements

First, this is not a political post. I am only interested in the economic aspects of Trump's proposals.

His plan would reduce tax collections by over $10 trillion over 10 years, lower the top bracket from 39% to 25%, and effectively excuse all married couples making $50,000 per year or less from tax liability. Corporate taxes would be slashed from 39% to 15%. Trump claims his plans are revenue neutral.

I see only two ways to make his plan "revenue neutral" -- one is an unshakable belief that "trickle down" theory will work to stimulate growth and jobs, even though trickle down's prior implementations have had at best mixed results. The other way must involve deep spending cuts, but to achieve that would require deep cuts to the military or entitlements such as Social Security and Medicare (because that's where the bulk of spending is).

I see no middle ground if these proposals are implemented: the US either explodes with growth, jobs and prosperity as overseas money is repatriated and invested at home, or Trump's plan fails and we descend into massive deficit spending and careen towards a debt crisis.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Lowering corporate taxes would help. If you can induce more companies to operate inside the USA, that will provide more jobs. Lack of jobs is currently a problem in this country. So that is in the plus column. Corporations generate more taxes than just their corporate taxes. Corporations pay dividends and those are taxed from the individuals who earn those dividends. The money is taxed twice. Once when it is earned and again when it is dispersed. Then corporations hire employees and employees pay taxes on their paycheck. If there are good jobs,then employees buy houses and pay property taxes.

I suspect that married couples earning less than $50,000 a year probably aren't paying federal income taxes right now. So that would be a zero effect. Roughly a third of Americans pay no federal taxes at all. Personally, I think it would be better to move the third of the population that doesn't pay taxes back into the tax paying population, but it is unlikely that anyone is going to ask me to run the country.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I see only two ways to make his plan "revenue neutral" -- one is an unshakable belief that "trickle down" theory will work to stimulate growth and jobs, even though trickle down's prior implementations have had at best mixed results. The other way must involve deep spending cuts, but to achieve that would require deep cuts to the military or entitlements such as Social Security and Medicare (because that's where the bulk of spending is).
I guess you didn't read the plan. It has nothing to do with "trickle down."

Also, Social Security is not a federal budget item, in spite of your claim.

Quote:
I see no middle ground if these proposals are implemented: the US either explodes with growth, jobs and prosperity as overseas money is repatriated and invested at home, or Trump's plan fails and we descend into massive deficit spending and careen towards a debt crisis.
You ignore the fact that the plan simplifies the tax code, resulting in a smaller IRS. $1TRILLION in pork and waste can easily be cut from the federal budget without affecting the economy.

If those cuts in spending do not materialize, then yes, some have estimated that the federal debt could increase by about 80% of GDP by 2036 (most notably the liberal Brookings Institute).

Old 02-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Lowering corporate taxes would help. If you can induce more companies to operate inside the USA, that will provide more jobs.
No, that would only keep some companies from leaving the US in the short term.

The name of the game is no longer gaining Market Share in the US. The game is about gaining Global Market Share.

In order to get Global Market Share, you have to be able to sell your products to the other 6.5 Billion people on Earth.

If you want Market Share in Romania, where the minimum wage is $1.40/hour, then you have to manufacture your product in Mexico or China or soon-to-be in India, or you have to open a plant in Romania, like P&G and others have done.

Without Global Market Share and Profits, you end up like Zenith and the rest of the US corporations that failed.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I think it has to be a perfect storm to work. I don't think we have the economic climate to make this work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You ignore the fact that the plan simplifies the tax code, resulting in a smaller IRS. $1TRILLION in pork and waste can easily be cut from the federal budget without affecting the economy.

If those cuts in spending do not materialize, then yes, some have estimated that the federal debt could increase by about 80% of GDP by 2036 (most notably the liberal Brookings Institute).
Yes and what about the jobs for those former IRS agents and tax preparers who would now be out of work? I assume many would need some sort of assistance that is if they cannot get work or while they train for new work. May not be one trillion in "pork" but it will cause a drop in revenues until they find replacement work.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Yes, 1 trillion can just MAGICALLY be cut from the budget. And that 30% drop will just do NOTHING. Right?

No, its not a economically viable plan.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:45 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
I see only two ways to make his plan "revenue neutral" -- one is an unshakable belief that "trickle down" theory will work to stimulate growth and jobs, even though trickle down's prior implementations have had at best mixed results....

...I see no middle ground if these proposals are implemented: the US either explodes with growth, jobs and prosperity as overseas money is repatriated and invested at home, or Trump's plan fails and we descend into massive deficit spending and careen towards a debt crisis.
Trumps "plan" is for entertaining morons.

Trickle-down can only "work" if we are in an environment where the economy is lacking investment funds (potential capital), rather than lacking demand. More than any time in history, we are lacking demand and have a tremendous excess of investment funds.

Actually trickle-down never works. We've never lack the capital for investment. The reason it seemed to work in the 80s was because costs were lowered by offshoring, and demand was goosed by debt escalation and an increase in workforce participation (women).

Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
It all seems to go back to the dollar.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, 1 trillion can just MAGICALLY be cut from the budget. And that 30% drop will just do NOTHING. Right?

No, its not a economically viable plan.
I totally agree. 40% of US GDP is directly or indirectly attributed to government spending of some sort.

If the US leaders are serious about jump starting the economy, they need to face the fact that in order to do that, the US needs to have a net inflow of money (positive trade balance). That will generate wealth here by taking it from elsewhere. That is the only way to improve the economy as a whole, and "lift all ships".

Old 02-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Trumps "plan" is for entertaining morons.
Based on what?

Did you even bother to read the plan?

Wages are stagnant, and increasing wages makes the US less competitive globally. The only other way to increase disposable income for workers is to reduce their tax load.

The tax plan sets the standard deduction to $25,000 for single people and $50,000 for joint returns.

Roughly 45 Million households would end up with about $86 Billion in their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics