Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 05:13 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
And you base that on what, other than just lib fairy tale fantasy?
A modest understanding of economics and a little logic.

There is no reason for aggregate demand to decline, if employers simply raise prices to compensate for the higher wages. Actually demand should *increase* because the real income has been shifted to a lower income demographic that tends to spend more of their money.

The only potential business losers will be those who hire a lot of MW labor, but cater to a wealthier demographic. But the wealthier demographic isn't very cost sensitive anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:16 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Living standards do NOT increase when a factory buys $50 million dollars in machines and fires 9,000 employees, but still increases production to 70,000 widgets per day.
That's exactly what we've been doing for 200 years. Have living standards increased or not?

There is something you aren't seeing. Can you guess what it is?

Old 03-30-2016, 05:22 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
If this were true, I'd imagine quite few more people would be supporting it. Money does not appear out of thin air and the owners/shareholders/corporate bosses are NOT going to relinquish their piece of the pie, so… where do these dreamers think it's going to magically come from?

Don't have children if you can't afford them! When has having children been a right? Do we need more population? Free condoms, Plan B, Planned Parenthood, etcetera, there are so many options for people who cannot afford kids I shudder to think how overpopulated we'd be without them!
what kind of question is that? Of course we need more population! Our entire economic and political model is based upon growth, and growth without an increase in population is no longer possible. Who do you think is going to support the infrastructure, social welfare programs, military, and the tens of millions of disabled, retired, and just plain unemployed and unemployable people? Of all the REAL rights, the right to continue our species is our number one need. Children are not for only the wealthy, regardless of whether or not you are channeling Marie Antoinette.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Fail. Stealing is taking something that belongs to someone else. A company's profits belong to the company/shareholders.
My wealth belongs to me. You take that it is stealing. A companies profits belong to the owners. And the owners are in turn owned by their governments. And in America we own the government. So it is stealing.

The wealth transfer that is going on is from the middle to the top.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nice try, but I never said employees wanting more money is stealing. I think most employees want more money, heck I sure did when I was one. There is nothing wrong or illegal about that.

Getting back to what you posted, you said if profits are going up and CEO is making more while employees get no raises that is stealing. That is asinine, stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. Profits belong to the company, and whether employees get a piece of profits or not has nothing to do with stealing since they are working for a wage not as owners of the company.

It might not seem fair to you, but doesn't mean you go all tard and call it stealing.
The wealth of the middle class in America belonged to America. Taking that wealth and repurposing it is stealing.

What we have had is the growth in wages of the bulk of the workers has been constrained as the top was allowed to grow. As this was going on we had a 2X on debt a measured in % GDP. (1980 'til now) The FED was charged with maintaining wage price stability. The economy did a nice 2X and that went to the top. As the economy did its 2X outsourcing was en vogue. I don't own my job, but we own our jobs. The national debt is leveraged against our job base.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
You'll get back to work when it's $30??
Actually several years after. I would expect a contraction if we got a $30hr minimum wage, after that reasonable growth, my labor pool normally has 2% higher employment rate than the national average.

Japan to raise minimum wage by three percent to boost consumption | Reuters

Quote:
Japan will raise the minimum wage by 3 percent each year from next fiscal year as part of a package of policies aimed at strengthening consumer spending and stoking economic growth.
They should up it more the first year and then have it go up by a higher % each year after.

The point of doing this IMO is to move the median income higher. A 3% a year increase is better than nothing but not enough to get the job done.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Oh, I'd offer pension, full benefits, free medical, free dental, free schooling for your kids, paid vacations, free breakfast and lunch daily, and an office barista to make you any coffee drink you desire if I were in the business of fleecing hard-working Americans of their hard-earned money. Unfortunately, I actually have to EARN my money. I have to offer a good or service at a reasonable price and make the most of the resources I have. I can't just push my boot on the throats of hard-working people a little harder and squeeze out more dollars for my lazy behind.

Government workers are parasites with no accountability and no purpose other than to milk the working man. You want the nanny state to treat you like a mentally retarded child then go to Cuba, North Korea, or any other glowing example of communism. If, on the other hand, you're not a pathetic sack who needs his hand held by big brother then nut up and take care of yourself. No one owes you a pension.
Heh, so is corporate America. How many freebie bailouts were provided with no accountability? How many corporations use foreign holdings as tax shelters? Kind of puts the unemployment and welfare "freeloaders" in perspective eh?

Quote:
Spend less, make more, Save, make better decisions, learn to invest, grow the eff up.
Excellent advice. Let's apply this to these comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I had a discussion with my wife about this. She is a small business owner. Her employee wages vary from $10-$15. She has maybe 10 or so employees. No one is going to want to work for her at minimum wage, so if MW is $15, she'll have to up her lowest paid to $17 or $18. So assume everyone gets a $5 increase. That's $50/hr extra she has to pay; $2,000/week, and $104,000 annually. Her business would tank in NO TIME. Same goes for pretty much any other small business out there.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,201 times
More job losses.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 PM

138 posts, read 116,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If you want lower minimum wage, there will also be lower standard of living. Mexico has an official minimum wage of about $4.20 an hour, although in reality it is not always enforced so workers there can be paid as little as $0.60 an hour. It is like that in most of Latin America. I don't think I even need to go into wages in Asia.
You defeated your own argument here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
More money in minimum wage earner's pockets at a macro level actually helps companies like Wal-Mart and McDonald's because their customers are downscale. Minimum wage workers spend 100% of what they earn, so if you raise their wages, it goes directly into the economy, into exactly the kinds of businesses they work for.
Of course they can afford it; they are large companies who make large profits. What about smaller businesses who can't afford the increase? That's what amazes me about these Sanders supporters. They are vehemently opposed to the existence of large corporations while supporting a minimum wage law that will give them an even more monopolistic market share.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
You defeated your own argument here.

Of course they can afford it; they are large companies who make large profits. What about smaller businesses who can't afford the increase? That's what amazes me about these Sanders supporters. They are vehemently opposed to the existence of large corporations while supporting a minimum wage law that will give them an even more monopolistic market share.
Why do you assume because it is a small business they can not afford a higher wage? Yes small businesses usually do not make as much as big businesses but they also typically have a lot less employees so they are paying less people. It is not okay for small businesses to hire people just so they can pay slave wages. If you can not pay a decent wage you do not need to hire someone. Many small businesses already pay more then min wage. According to these articles many small business owners support a min wage increase.
National Poll: Small Business Owners Favor Raising Federal Minimum Wage | Business For a Fair Minimum Wage
Small businesses support boosting minimum wage | TheHill
Small Business Majority Poll - Small Businesses Support Increasing Minimum Wage
Why Small Business Owners Back a Minimum Wage Hike - US News
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...um-wage-hikes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics