Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

yes my phone has the processing power to end both world wars !

and I use it to find the nearest place to eat instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
What do you imagine it's like for someone with an IQ of 180 trying to explain complex concepts to people with an IQ of 100?
The probability of you working for or with someone that has an IQ of 180 is next to nothing. Just because the relationship between intelligence and job performance is linear doesn't mean there isn't a point of diminishing returns. There is a lot of research that shows that real-world outcomes start to bleed together after IQs 130-140, meaning that if you were to take a group of employees in similar jobs that all had IQs of 120+ the relationship with job performance would be very little do largely to range restriction. For this reason, it is common knowledge that intelligence does very little to predict a doctor's performance as is rated by the patient. Why? Because, you have to be intelligent just to get into and graduate from med school. With limited variability, comes limited predictive validity. Many other things then need to differentiate them, like motivation, interpersonal sensitivity, etc.

That doesn't change the fact that someone with an IQ is much more likely to be qualified to be a good doctor than another person with an IQ of 75, which is what a correlation is.

Finally, discussing complex concepts in layman's terms is a learned skill. I have to do the same thing when it comes to explaining complex topics like criterion validity, predictive validity, convergent validity, linear modeling, etc. to business partners. It's not that I'm a genius that can't relate to them, it's that I need to learn how to make the concepts resonate with them. It's a language barrier rather than a cognitive barrier. For this reason I often focus on the intuitive and much more publicized ideas of Moneyball and Netflix's if you like this you are likely to like this algorithm, because that is much easier to understand than using terms like criterion validation and predictive modeling/algorithms. It puts a face to the concepts.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
If you factor out the browning of America and the increased presence of women in the workforce you find real wages across demographic groups have increased. The fact that both these groups, who make on average less than white males, have an increased share of the workforce drive down the mean and median wage.

My father was an engineer, retired as a regional vice president for AT@T, stated he seldom used anything more than 9th grade algebra, never used calculus. My dad once stated, "What calculus does is separate the wheat from the chaff." Basically it ensures not any idiot can be an engineer.

Yes, if you are excellent in math you will most likely do well and certain degrees certify you must be pretty good in math. You may never use the math but you have demonstrated the intelligence and drive employers are looking for.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:07 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If you factor out the browning of America and the increased presence of women in the workforce you find real wages across demographic groups have increased. The fact that both these groups, who make on average less than white males, have an increased share of the workforce drive down the mean and median wage.

My father was an engineer, retired as a regional vice president for AT@T, stated he seldom used anything more than 9th grade algebra, never used calculus. My dad once stated, "What calculus does is separate the wheat from the chaff." Basically it ensures not any idiot can be an engineer.

Yes, if you are excellent in math you will most likely do well and certain degrees certify you must be pretty good in math. You may never use the math but you have demonstrated the intelligence and drive employers are looking for.
Are you serious? If what it takes to have a successful economy is social pressure on women to take only prescribed "female" jobs or not work a formal job at all, and a regulatory scheme that bars non-whites from most good professions, then we have much worse problems than I ever imagined.

You might as well say, "if we ignore poor and marginal income earners (half the country), median wages have increased."

Old 05-03-2016, 12:25 PM

73 posts, read 56,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Average IQ has really gone up in medicine. Getting into med school is an order of magnitude more competitive than it was even 20 years ago and probably 2 orders of magnitude from 40 years ago. Competitive residencies even more so. These days one can't even get a derm residency unless you went to Harvard. In the 1990s derm was a joke career for Dr. Zizmore from Downstate New Jersey Nights and Weekends Med School. Back in my dad's day the surgeon stereotype was a jock with a B+ average. Now it's all Indian dudes with perfect SAT scores.

Your 50 year old GP probably does not have a 125 IQ but anyone finishing med school after 2010 definitely does.
Well my fiancee graduated from med school in 2014. So the ones I'm talking to all graduated after 2010.

Maybe I'm even smarter so the ones that have IQs of 120 don't seem so bright to me

Also they're doing Peds which is definitely not the most competitive residency so it does make sense they would be on the left side of the bell curve. My point is I really do think you could probably scrape by MCAT & med school with an IQ of 115-120 if you have a huge work ethic and apply yourself really well.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Finally, discussing complex concepts in layman's terms is a learned skill.
And it can be excruciatingly tedious. Because the person with a high IQ did not arrive at the answer in a manner that can even be easily explained. So you need to go back and translate the derivation into a linear progression, and then dumb it down. Most of the high IQ people are on the autistic end of the spectrum, so are not good at verbal communication or relating to people.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:33 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
And it can be excruciatingly tedious. Because the person with a high IQ did not arrive at the answer in a manner that can even be easily explained. So you need to go back and translate the derivation into a linear progression, and then dumb it down. Most of the high IQ people are on the autistic end of the spectrum, so are not good at verbal communication or relating to people.
I think you mean most of the extremely high IQ people. I'm high IQ, I'm nowhere near approaching autistic and have excellent verbal communication skills.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If you factor out the browning of America and the increased presence of women in the workforce you find real wages across demographic groups have increased.
Did you just make that up or do you have data to support it?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM

73 posts, read 56,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I said that the floor for admission to medical school is an MCAT score of 25. That correlates to about a 120 IQ, not 125. It's a strong correlation but not absolute. There are certainly people admitted to med school with an IQ below 120 but they're in the bottom quintile of med school students.

A 120 IQ is 90th percentile in the general population. Those aren't Mensa candidates. They're just normal bright people. It's a bit easier to get admitted to an osteopathic med school. A D.O. could be a bit lower than that. Again, this is correlation, not an absolute. I highly doubt there are many 100 IQ physicians walking around.

Any of the admissions tests like SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, and MCAT test analytical/critical reasoning.
Where are you getting this information? I have not found any publication that has data on this.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I think you mean most of the extremely high IQ people.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics