Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I remember when I could buy an ounce of gold for $16.00
The Treasury did sell most of the US gold reserve for $16 an ounce during the Civil War. However, the official price of gold has not been below $19.25 since 1915.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
In this country, as a reminder to everyone, it's all about the Benjamin's and you need more and more of them to buy anything as time goes by.
In a properly run world, you also receive more and more of them as time goes by. Unless robber-barons are stealing from you, your real personal income should advance with the growth in real per capita income in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The Treasury did sell most of the US gold reserve for $16 an ounce during the Civil War. However, the official price of gold has not been below $19.25 since 1915.

In a properly run world, you also receive more and more of them as time goes by. Unless robber-barons are stealing from you, your real personal income should advance with the growth in real per capita income in the nation.
Key word, SHOULD.. but it doesnt. Bills and cost keep rising as income doesnt and quality gets less.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
During the industrial revolution we weren't overpopulated we now have over 100 million MORE people in this country.
There are now 100 million more people in the country than there were in 1979. The Industrial Revolution was long over by then. We have about 300 million more people than we did in 1850 which is about the point where the Industrial Revolution in the US came to a close.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Key word, SHOULD.. but it doesnt.
Hence the conditional "unless the robber barons are stealing from you." People have been voting to encourage the robber barons since 1980. You will need to move to the left if you want it to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Bills and cost keep rising as income doesnt and quality gets less.
The quality available to those who have not been able to keep up with the robber barons gets less. At robber baron levels, very high quality goods are available across the board.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
There's two ways you can look at it. True things back in the day lasted longer. I grew up in the 80's. My mom still has my Tonka trucks and matchbox cars that I played with and some even my dad played for when the grandkids come over. Not so much the matchbox cars, but the Tonka trucks are a lot heavier. If my son were to drop one on his foot I know he'd cry. With plastic it can be melted down and recycled. Now for Christmas, my son already has two of the plastic cars he got with a glow-in-the-dark racetrack wore out already. Lol.

I doubt we got back to the cast iron days anytime soon

Old 01-06-2017, 10:05 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
There are now 100 million more people in the country than there were in 1979. The Industrial Revolution was long over by then. We have about 300 million more people than we did in 1850 which is about the point where the Industrial Revolution in the US came to a close.
The Industrial Revolution was just getting started in 1850. When it "came to a close," it was merely supplanted by the Digital Age. We are not overpopulated. As a nation, we are underpopulated.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
There's two ways you can look at it. True things back in the day lasted longer. I grew up in the 80's. My mom still has my Tonka trucks and matchbox cars that I played with and some even my dad played for when the grandkids come over. Not so much the matchbox cars, but the Tonka trucks are a lot heavier. If my son were to drop one on his foot I know he'd cry. With plastic it can be melted down and recycled. Now for Christmas, my son already has two of the plastic cars he got with a glow-in-the-dark racetrack wore out already. Lol.

I doubt we got back to the cast iron days anytime soon
Ya i think the fact they were heavy and had pointed corners, parent start to cry about it and thus the plastic version was made.. I ihad the crane that lasted forever till somebody use it as a target practice.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Industrial Revolution was just getting started in 1850. When it "came to a close," it was merely supplanted by the Digital Age. We are not overpopulated. As a nation, we are underpopulated.
That would be news to me. And I'd guess to a whole lot of historians.

The Industrial Revolution was the transition to new manufacturing processes in the period from about 1760 to sometime between 1820 and 1840. This transition included going from hand production methods to machines, new chemical manufacturing and iron production processes, improved efficiency of water power, the increasing use of steam power, the development of machine tools and the rise of the factory system.

-- Wikipedia

Old 01-06-2017, 10:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
That would be news to me. And I'd guess to a whole lot of historians.

The Industrial Revolution was the transition to new manufacturing processes in the period from about 1760 to sometime between 1820 and 1840. This transition included going from hand production methods to machines, new chemical manufacturing and iron production processes, improved efficiency of water power, the increasing use of steam power, the development of machine tools and the rise of the factory system.

-- Wikipedia
From your link:

This Second Industrial Revolution gradually grew to include chemicals, mainly the chemical industries, petroleum (refining and distribution), and, in the 20th century, the automotive industry, and was marked by a transition of technological leadership from Britain to the United States and Germany.
The increasing availability of economical petroleum products also reduced the importance of coal and further widened the potential for industrialisation.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 AM

According to your statement, that since we have more people now and demand for gratification is now (thanks Millennials) we moved to cheaper items for faster production? Personaly i would rather way a week for a item if its going to affect the quality of the product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics