Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times

Advertisements

There have always been and still are many different price-quality points out there to pick from. Do what your personal preferences and budget constraints tell you to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The great US cotton makers like Stevens and Martex went out of business and now our sheets and towels are of low quality, poorly stitched, and they don't last.

Brooklinen Core Sheet set, about $150 for a Queen set of sheets and pillowcases.

Let me know if there is anything else where you are having difficulty finding quality items. I am no shopping whiz, but the internet and a bit of experience makes it easy to get it right almost always.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
The only things I can say that have gotten worse quality wise are small appliances: vacuum cleaners, food processors, hair dryers. Other that those, things are better now than before. At least cars, TVs, clothes, shoes, tools. Food is better. We have a much greater variety today than ever before, it's fresher and better quality, too.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
I get it that a company needs to make money, but is it really necessarily to have these high price to get a good quality item? Is the materials cost that much difference, or they just pricing base on market value? Just because you added a extra coat of paint on a hammer, doesnt justified a $4 increase on the same hammer with one coat of paint. Extra coat cost ya what, 1/100th of a penny.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Knock on wood, I haven't had the problems that some of you are describing.

Decades ago, my dishwasher repairman gave me advice that I have followed ever since. He said to buy "simple". In other words, don't buy features that you don't need because that just means more parts to break down.

Since I'm naturally frugal on most things anyway, this makes it easy. For appliances, tv's and cars, I choose the most basic models of the best brands.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I get it that a company needs to make money, but is it really necessarily to have these high price to get a good quality item? Is the materials cost that much difference, or they just pricing base on market value? Just because you added a extra coat of paint on a hammer, doesnt justified a $4 increase on the same hammer with one coat of paint. Extra coat cost ya what, 1/100th of a penny.
You get what you pay for.

Especially shoes. For example, if you want quality go to LL Bean. If you want cheap go to Wal Mart.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
In the good ole days, cars put out a lot of pollution. They did not have fuel injection or O2 sensors. Everything else on them broke, constantly and they usually rusted or otherwise fell apart in a few years. Even routine maintenance was frequent and expensive: 3000 miles for oil, 30000 for replacing tires and spark plugs and points. Modern cars hardly need any maintenance except for fluid changes and those are much less frequent. A car from the 60s was likely to need an A/T rebuild sooner than an O2 sensor would wear out. Come to think of it I have never needed one and that includes Izuzu, 190K miles, CRV, 160K miles and my Toyota Corolla, 145K miles.
There's a lot more maintenance being done on the cars now. It's more convenient. People are leasing cars so they have to keep them in reasonable condition when they turn them back in. I've had a 90's second-hand car that needed a transmission rebuild at 90K. It all depends on how the car is driven and where, the hills of San Francisco and San Jose in this case.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
You get what you pay for.

Especially shoes. For example, if you want quality go to LL Bean. If you want cheap go to Wal Mart.
yes but is the quality of the materials that much more or just flat out pricing it because "quality" Their is a difference. Are we talking about quality hand craftsmanship or quality in the product. What are we really paying for? I see bed sheets with 200 threads vs 600 threads of the same sheet, $6 difference. Does the 400 extra threads really put a dent in the product cost?

Old 01-04-2017, 09:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I'm one of Those People who got caught up in the Mid-Century Modern home decor revival, and, given what I've seen in the antique and secondhand stores, will say that a lot of junk was being made then too. Yes, there's some lovely Hey-Wake and Danish modern out there still in great condition, but also tons of stuff the probably came from Sears back in the day that's had the curd beaten out of it and probably should have been in a landfall by the Bicentennial.

Same goes for houses- we only see the good stuff that's lasted because the poorly made 1700s home got taken out by The Great Nor'Easter of 1832.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
too bad they don't make "people" like they used to, when they break down at 50 and get discarded at 60
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics