Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times

Advertisements

I mean intentionally given away, not throw it away like gambling or paying taxes, but just handed it off.

I never really considered this, but for whatever reason it occurred to me today. I did not figure it out but the answer is probably pushing $2 million over my lifetime. I do not think I will ever regret it, but there are times I wonder if that was stupid. What if I end up broke? I could have allowed my kids to avoid student loans. Still it was worth it.

Mostly it was church and charity donations, but there were a lot of other things. Go to McDonalds give them $300 and tell them everyone is free food until it runs out. hen sit in a corner and watch, it is fun. Unexpectedly pickup the tab when you are out with less wealthy friends. Leave your favorite waitress $200 tip. Stick a wad of $100 bills in an envelope and autonomously leave it in a friends mailbox when they are having financial difficulty. Pay brother's mortgage for a few months, or buy his medication he cannot afford. Leave nice tips for mailman, garbage man, lawn guy. Donate something to the local police or fire department (even cookies). Visit a homeless shelter or food kitchen, ask them what they most need and buy it for them. All of those things are really just giving money away. It is all just little bits except charity donations, but if you think through all those little bits, they add up to a lot.

Anyone feel like it was or was not worth it to them? Does anyone never give away any money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
I've not kept track, but I know the numbers are well into the mid six figures. And I have absolutely no regrets about donating to charity!

Old 05-04-2017, 05:11 PM

547 posts, read 507,043 times
I am my own charity

Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
I'm not sure the amount but it's no where near 500k-2mm I know that for sure

Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Through unfair tax codes, I have given away thousands over ~30 years.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
We set up a 'donor advised fund' and a Family trust when we were in our 30's. Not because we were loaded... (as a single wage earner supporting a family, farm, and elderly parents by working an hourly night shift factory job...)

This has been a very handy place to stash contributions in years of plenty,(tax benefits) and to bury all our appreciated company stock (over 40 yrs of employment in various jobs (working 2-3 at a time)).

The kids will ONLY inherit the rights to designate the future gifting, as we have designated all assets in excess of living expenses and needs to charity. But... one 'medical event' and we are hosed, but!!! the family foundation will live on! And our annual gifting will continue.

Giving is a mindset and personal value. I don't expect any of us to be giving the the same (or any), or to be saints.

Giving of time can be the tough part.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times
I'm surprised people are claiming only to have given away millions.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
$0

Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I mean intentionally given away, not throw it away like gambling or paying taxes, but just handed it off.

I never really considered this, but for whatever reason it occurred to me today. I did not figure it out but the answer is probably pushing $2 million over my lifetime. I do not think I will ever regret it, but there are times I wonder if that was stupid. What if I end up broke? I could have allowed my kids to avoid student loans. Still it was worth it.

Mostly it was church and charity donations, but there were a lot of other things. Go to McDonalds give them $300 and tell them everyone is free food until it runs out. hen sit in a corner and watch, it is fun. Unexpectedly pickup the tab when you are out with less wealthy friends. Leave your favorite waitress $200 tip. Stick a wad of $100 bills in an envelope and autonomously leave it in a friends mailbox when they are having financial difficulty. Pay brother's mortgage for a few months, or buy his medication he cannot afford. Leave nice tips for mailman, garbage man, lawn guy. Donate something to the local police or fire department (even cookies). Visit a homeless shelter or food kitchen, ask them what they most need and buy it for them. All of those things are really just giving money away. It is all just little bits except charity donations, but if you think through all those little bits, they add up to a lot.

Anyone feel like it was or was not worth it to them? Does anyone never give away any money?

Good topic. Never really thought about the sum total. I've not given away as much as I would like, but intend to give away more as I get older and the bills go down.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
$1.5 million U.S. so far approximately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics