Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Which points to the notion that the property owner is more or less always somehow/someway at fault. If not why would the medical claims portion of policies more or less always pay?
Alright both of you are wrong and kinda right.

The owner of land is responsible under certain circumstances. The grass cutter was invited to the property and tripped over a hazard that could have been noticed and fixed. There was a payout from the liability insurance because the carrier recognized the case was worth X irrespective of fault. Juries decide damages. Damages are more than just the bills and lost wages. You have pain and suffering, and potentially disabilities (among others). Trip and falls are 50/50 so they probably took a discount and offered. Plaintiff accepted recognizing the risk. Very common

The other insurance you guys were thinking of was probably MedPay. MedPay pays the bills no questions. Even with med pay, you still can make a liability claim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 07:33 AM

19,822 posts, read 18,122,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Alright both of you are wrong and kinda right.

The owner of land is responsible under certain circumstances. The grass cutter was invited to the property and tripped over a hazard that could have been noticed and fixed. There was a payout from the liability insurance because the carrier recognized the case was worth X irrespective of fault. Juries decide damages. Damages are more than just the bills and lost wages. You have pain and suffering, and potentially disabilities (among others). Trip and falls are 50/50 so they probably took a discount and offered. Plaintiff accepted recognizing the risk. Very common

The other insurance you guys were thinking of was probably MedPay. MedPay pays the bills no questions. Even with med pay, you still can make a liability claim
I understand all that.

How does that run counter to what I wrote just above?

Old 06-22-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I understand all that.

How does that run counter to what I wrote just above?
Because MedPay has to pay out regardless of liability. They are two separate things

Old 06-22-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Because MedPay has to pay out regardless of liability. They are two separate things
Take a logical step back.

If there wasn't liability involved why would medical coverage pay in these situations?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Take a logical step back.

If there wasn't liability involved why would medical coverage pay in these situations?
Because they are two different coverages. You can have 0% liability but your insurer might pay out MedPay. MedPay is a separate concept.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:34 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
That is how my buddies insurance worked when that woman fell on the lawn she shouldn’t have even been on .

Because it was his property they covered her bills , but she couldn’t get a penny for negligence….

Old 06-23-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Because they are two different coverages. You can have 0% liability but your insurer might pay out MedPay. MedPay is a separate concept.
Zero liability means there is no reason to pay either though liability or medical insurance. I get that lots of legal nuance is in play but I'm talking broadly.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That is how my buddies insurance worked when that woman fell on the lawn she shouldn’t have even been on .

Because it was his property they covered her bills , but she couldn’t get a penny for negligence….
Right. It sucks but the system has been honed over the centuries to enrich lawyers over all else.

One does not have to be negligent to be liable per these medical payouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics