Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
...which is irrelevant to what I said.

What I said was that 1/2 of Americans don't even pay taxes so there's no way those people are worried about their portfolio of investments of any kind.

Also, if you have 6 figures of liquidity you can absolutely invest in real estate, just not in your market. You could buy an entire block in Detroit for $100k.
And then the natives would just screw me over because it would be impossible to manage from that distance especially in a bad neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
This much I can tell you- his portfolio is not diversified enough.
I'm invested in pretty much every listed international and domestic stock. I'm not afraid of downturns. I fear being homeless.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I'm invested in pretty much every listed international and domestic stock. I'm not afraid of downturns. I fear being homeless.
Well that won't happen since you plan on continuing to live at home with mom for free for the rest of your life.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My husband did it the smart way. He went to a community college and got his Associates degree. He then did a paid internship at an engineering firm. He proved himself and they hired him on doing simple AutoCAD for not much money. He continued to prove himself and they sent him back to school fully paid by them to get his Mechanical Engineering degree. He has now been with that company for almost 18 years and makes well over $100K.
That's about the same as what my dad did. He was recruited by KAPL/G.E. before he even finished his Associate's in 1960. In the late 1960's he started going to night school and got his ME degree in 1975. He retired in 2005 after 45-1/2 years at the same company. If he paid for that second degree he didn't pay very much, because he took advantage of the GI Bill, having been in the Army from 1962 to 1965. His employer paid some of it, too.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,865,796 times
Life should be as difficult as can be! We should do nothing with our lives but be a slave for a company that'd replace you in a heartbeat. It's all the employees fault and not the greedy CEOs at all. The peasants without college degrees and those who wish to have a enjoying life beside being a workaholic should just go into a ditch and die.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,256,232 times
Quote:
As I stated, you are not diversified enough. Stocks/Bonds aren't enough.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
As I stated, you are not diversified enough. Stocks/Bonds aren't enough.
If stocks and bonds go to zero then guns and canned food are the only good investments.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,256,232 times
Quote:
If stocks and bonds go to zero then guns and canned food are the only good investments.
Yes, more of the same old 'woe is me' mantra. Ridiculous.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, more of the same old 'woe is me' mantra. Ridiculous.
That statement wasn't even woe is me. You're losing it buddy.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM

382 posts, read 513,750 times
Quote:
And then the natives would just screw me over because it would be impossible to manage from that distance especially in a bad neighborhood.
There's a guy on YouTube that has a channel managing properties from absentee investors (many outside of the country) doing exactly that and if people were getting screwed he wouldn't have been doing it for about the last 10 years. He has hundreds, if not thousands, of videos.

The Shae Show...

You could also move there. Being priced out of the market you're in doesn't mean that an hour outside Detroit in a nice neighbor you couldn't have a nice little place AND income properties if you desired. 0 houses to like 3 or 4 in a few weeks...

That is also not the only real estate investment opportunity in the world. There are plenty of fish in the sea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics