Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:38 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That apt condo conversion would have never appreciated. After 5 yrs ownership I broke even. I have no idea what they run today, but maybe in the $100K's....this was an apt bldg conversation (small units) cheap units, and many conversions have gone on here in So. Cal. People want to own or be owned. I bought this in the early 80's.... Glad I did, another lesson in life.

People work harder, to make more money, then they have to "protect" their gains in income.
Think 300k+ for a one bedroom condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Think 300k+ for a one bedroom condo.
At least, even in the Valley.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
At least, even in the Valley.
I think op is stuck in the past. I bet he thinks cops drive 55 Harley's, kids race around in deuce coupes and everything to the east of Los Angeles is orange groves.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP is a she and maybe that condo would be higher today, it's not in the greatest part of valley and many owners were leasing out their units to renters, the place was becoming overun with renters. Many living in the small units. Logistics logistics logistics.... No way could I have held on for decades to maybe see $200K or whatever. I'm not a valley lover anyway and bought this as I was making more money at the time and paying more taxes, same old song.

As far as being stuck in the past, the past was much much easier. I really am happy to be online and doing things online like auto pay but don't buy into all the expensive other stuff everyone is addicted to. My main addiction is good clean water and good food. I know many my age and they NEVER even got on the computer...but that was their choice, I resisted until I got a desk top in 2005. I'm 79 btw.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-22-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
OP is a she and maybe that condo would be higher today, it's not in the greatest part of valley and many owners were leasing out their units to renters, the place was becoming overun with renters. Many living in the small units. Logistics logistics logistics.... No way could I have held on for decades to maybe see $200K or whatever. I'm not a valley lover anyway and bought this as I was making more money at the time and paying more taxes, same old song.

As far as being stuck in the past, the past was much much easier. I really am happy to be online and doing things online like auto pay but don't buy into all the expensive other stuff everyone is addicted to. My main addiction is good clean water and good food. I know many my age and they NEVER even got on the computer...but that was their choice, I resisted until I got a desk top in 2005. I'm 79 btw.
Old enough that you would be called gramps in the 50s? You can't just go down to the drive in theater and malt shop and buy a house I'm sorry it doesn't work that way anymore. You could but those who are younger than you (25) with 163k+ in assets are deep. Poverty. I wish I had my money inflation adjusted in your days.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Tsk! Tsk! So many mired in mourning for the loss of things that never really were to begin with.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:26 PM

You "kids" got me thinking about the condo I bought for $80+K in early 80' s and here is the property 21801 Roscoe Blvd.., Canoga Park and here is one for sale at $239K, 2 bdrm, 1 bath, 719 sq ft. I did enjoy the pool while I lived there. But no regrets selling when I did.

21801 Roscoe Boulevard, Canoga Park, CA 91304 for Sale | Condo.com

Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Who's mourning?

Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
We didn't lose anything. The politicians of both major parties, at every level of government, gave away our industries, out jobs, and even our defense secrets.

We were told anything and everything the lying politician who was speaking thought we would believe so that we wouldn't question their actions and stupidity. Yes, some said the air would be cleaner, some said we were helping to bring democracy and capitalism to third world countries which would result in a more peaceful world, some said our workers were going to engage in higher levels of thinking, some were stupid enough to say that the manufacturing jobs that we lose would be made up in shipping finished products in from other countries, and they all said we didn't need those low level jobs. All one has to do is read the news to see how wrong these liars were.

By the way, buy some shoes made in America. Your feet will feel much better.

Mens Shoes - Mens Dress Shoes - Mens Casual Shoes
www.rancourtandcompany.com
Alden of New England
www.quoddy.com
Nope, not correct. You provide not a shred of context. I suppose fun for some who are hell-bent on playing the blame game though.

Economies are not stagnant, nor should we want them to be. Just like what happened to heavy industries such shipbuilding, which used to be focused here last century, it moved to where the cost of inputs is cheaper. Some Chinese based manufacturing is no different- some products have already moved to countries such as Vietnam.

We have the world's highest manufacturing output still, but it requires less individual labor. That is no fault of the Chinese, nor anyone 'giving away' our industries per se.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You "kids" got me thinking about the condo I bought for $80+K in early 80' s and here is the property 21801 Roscoe Blvd.., Canoga Park and here is one for sale at $239K, 2 bdrm, 1 bath, 719 sq ft. I did enjoy the pool while I lived there. But no regrets selling when I did.

21801 Roscoe Boulevard, Canoga Park, CA 91304 for Sale | Condo.com
You got ripped off if you got that for 80k in the early 80s. You could buy a sfh for that then in the same city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics