Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And we already have more people available to do those jobs than we need. That's why the wages for them are so low.
So what is the answer if there needs to be one, forced birth control...that will never fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:43 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So what is the answer if there needs to be one, forced birth control...that will never fly.
There isn't an easy or obvious one. That was my point. It's the elephant in the room no one wants to talk or think about. But we at least need to start thinking about it.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
A $100K 10 year loan would be about $1000/mo. Not cheap for most, but doable. Cheaper if we made educational loans zero interest.
That logic is ridiculous! Unless you are making 6 figures as an Engineer, Lawyer, Doctor, etc. it's insane to be in that kind of debt right out of school! $1,000 a month is not cheap and could go towards a mortgage. The real answer IMHO is that our government needs to lower the cost of college. Other countries like Germany gives their residents free college tuition and as of now if I'm not mistaken you don't even need to be a citizen!

My husband did it the smart way. He went to a community college and got his Associates degree. He then did a paid internship at an engineering firm. He proved himself and they hired him on doing simple AutoCAD for not much money. He continued to prove himself and they sent him back to school fully paid by them to get his Mechanical Engineering degree. He has now been with that company for almost 18 years and makes well over $100K.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That logic is ridiculous! Unless you are making 6 figures as an Engineer, Lawyer, Doctor, etc. it's insane to be in that kind of debt right out of school! $1,000 a month is not cheap and could go towards a mortgage. The real answer IMHO is that our government needs to lower the cost of college. Other countries like Germany gives their residents free college tuition and as of now if I'm not mistaken you don't even need to be a citizen!

My husband did it the smart way. He went to a community college and got his Associates degree. He then did a paid internship at an engineering firm. He proved himself and they hired him on doing simple AutoCAD for not much money. He continued to prove himself and they sent him back to school fully paid by them to get his Mechanical Engineering degree. He has now been with that company for almost 18 years and makes well over $100K.
Nice success story. I have one and "for a woman" back in the 80's, I worked myself up from asst to sales mg. to outside sales in this company and when I left after 9 yrs (burned out) I was drawing $73K but I was not a "saver".... and during those years are when bought the "loser condo"....I never liked the area but making the money I had to protect it somehow. Vicious cycle. When I was leaving the $73K job, my boss kept saying "but in a couple yrs you'll be making $100K"...at that burn-out time, money was not that important anymore.

When I left that $73K job I went to work for a company for about $30K....and did just fine...often, the more one makes the more one NEEDS to spend or has to spend.

My sister was a big earner and she spent like a bandit...she got burned out too and MS took her life.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:

A thousand dollar mortgage? Is this 1991?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
If you can afford to live in SM, you are ahead of people living in $400K houses in the Midwest or south.
Santa Monica has rent control... as mentioned some pay about 1/3 of market rate in rent... utilities are quite low due to near ideal climate.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Old enough that you would be called gramps in the 50s? You can't just go down to the drive in theater and malt shop and buy a house I'm sorry it doesn't work that way anymore. You could but those who are younger than you (25) with 163k+ in assets are deep. Poverty. I wish I had my money inflation adjusted in your days.

Why would you call a woman "Gramps"?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You got ripped off if you got that for 80k in the early 80s. You could buy a sfh for that then in the same city
The economy collapsed back then and Southern California was especially hard hit and it was the worst unemployment since the Great Depression...

Old 09-23-2017, 07:04 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Why would you call a woman "Gramps"?
Why is 163k (now 165k) pocket change?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I never received my college degree, but did attend some college. I worked my way up from a teller to an Assistant Branch Manager also selling investment products for a large national bank. I made close to a $100k in my 20's and 30's. I then took some time off and when I reentered the work force I became an insurance agent. I make about half of what I did before, but my husband is the bread winner anyway.

Point is, yes most young individuals will need some kind of degree to make it in the world today, but it still isn't mandatory to make a decent living. There are many jobs available where one can make a good living without a degree. However, it will be harder to advance and you might get looked over for a lot of interviews. My children will be going to college. They already know this and want to, but with it becoming ever so expensive and unaffordable I can see many who will not be able to go. No one should be in debt $100k when graduating from college! It's ridiculous!
Two years of San Francisco City College is Free for San Francisco residents.

The cost of education varies widely.

Twelve years ago I rented to an 18 year old single African American woman in Oakland California... an only child and lost her mother to cancer when she was 12 and her father had lots of medical problems and just making ends meet on his disability.

This young lady had a dream to be a Doctor... she worked as many as three jobs and attended Oakland's Merit Junior College and it was all work and school... no time for nonsense and she paid her own rent on time for the small one bedroom unit.

She applied all over to many medical schools and nothing... and she had worked so hard.

One night she calls and says she has good news and bad news... a slot opened up in University of Chicago and she had 7 days to physically move herself and her worldly procession halfway across the country in her $800 car... the bad news is she has a signed a lease...

Told her to get packing and because she needed to be on the road like tomorrow... I met her at the apartment and gave her her full security deposit refund in cash and she was on her way...

Each year I get a nice Christmas Card from her and she has accomplished a lot and all through hard work and determination...

I know it can be done because I have seen it.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-23-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics