Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

That was all before we LOST our manufacturing plants to 3rd world countries.

I did NOT attend college but a year or so of business school in my early days.

Today it's said everyone needs college degrees to get a good job and even with the degrees are scrounging for work.

My grandkids are so stressed out working to get their degrees and to me it just seems so wrong. We gave up so much industries, for some cleaner air, that's what we were told years ago.

So many towns that had big industry are now suffering with no jobs.

Today's cost of living is out of sight for so so many. When I found out a few yrs ago that my favorite shoe brand was now being produced in China, I knew it was all such a lost cause for America and other countries. Shoes are no less money, but more profits for you know who.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-22-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:19 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Today it's said everyone needs college degrees to get a good job and even with the degrees are scrounging for work.

My grandkids are so stressed out working to get their degrees and to me it just seems so wrong. We gave up so much industries, for some cleaner air, that's what we were told years ago.

Today's cost of living is out of sight for so so many.
^in a nutshell.

As workers become less useful due to technological changes, and off shoring of their industry in search of better profits, doom awaits them due to ongoing endemic low grade inflation and either loss of employment or no substantial wage increase.

I have worked 40 years and continue with success based on my advanced degree. (MD)
My daughters also succeed due to their degrees. Highly stressed out as they are.

One thing that really helps the wage laggers is to move to a low COL area.

I moved out of Chicago to AZ in 1980. One very major reason was that my eyes and sinuses could not tolerate the ozone/air pollution there. I am no environmentalist. I could care less if Chicago has ozone now.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM

I've managed to "hang in" here in So. Cal. but my needs and expectations are realistic for my lower income status. Love the climate here for the 50 yrs I've lived here, owned once and sold and enjoy my modest rent control apt in SM. If I moved out of my apt, the owners can command at least 3x's what I pay. That is technology as our area is now called Silicon Beach.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
I've managed to "hang in" here in So. Cal. but my needs and expectations are realistic for my lower income status. Love the climate here for the 50 yrs I've lived here, owned once and sold and enjoy my modest rent control apt in SM. If I moved out of my apt, the owners can command at least 3x's what I pay. That is technology as our area is now called Silicon Beach.
Should have bought decades ago when houses were cheap.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Move to AZ where you get 2X the house for 1/2 the price!

Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Houses were NEVER cheap here...I moved here in the early 60's and talk about shock. I did buy a condo conversion in SFV and it was mid $80'sK and I held on to this losing condo for 5 yrs, sold it and broke even thank goodness.

I knew I could NEVER own again here and love my pain free apt. What we own begins to own us. I don't want to be in that position ever again. But the climate here is supreme.

My good friend lives in Palm Desert, CA and her allergies are so much worse, and at one point she took a job in Phoenix and did not last long due to worse allergies too. But I'd take desert living over cold weather living any day.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Houses were NEVER cheap here...I moved here in the early 60's and talk about shock. I did buy a condo conversion in SFV and it was mid $80'sK and I held on to this losing condo for 5 yrs, sold it and broke even thank goodness.

I knew I could NEVER own again here and love my pain free apt. What we own begins to own us. I don't want to be in that position ever again. But the climate here is supreme.

My good friend lives in Palm Desert, CA and her allergies are so much worse, and at one point she took a job in Phoenix and did not last long due to worse allergies too. But I'd take desert living over cold weather living any day.
That IS cheap even if you factor in inflation and higher interest rates.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 PM

That apt condo conversion would have never appreciated. After 5 yrs ownership I broke even. I have no idea what they run today, but maybe in the $100K's....this was an apt bldg conversation (small units) cheap units, and many conversions have gone on here in So. Cal. People want to own or be owned. I bought this in the early 80's.... Glad I did, another lesson in life.

People work harder, to make more money, then they have to "protect" their gains in income.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:

My grandkids are so stressed out working to get their degrees and to me it just seems so wrong. We gave up so much industries, for some cleaner air, that's what we were told years ago[/B].

So many towns that had big industry are now suffering with no jobs.

Today's cost of living is out of sight for so so many. When I found out a few yrs ago that my favorite shoe brand was now being produced in China, I knew it was all such a lost cause for America and other countries. Shoes are no less money, but more profits for you know who.
We didn't lose anything. The politicians of both major parties, at every level of government, gave away our industries, out jobs, and even our defense secrets.

We were told anything and everything the lying politician who was speaking thought we would believe so that we wouldn't question their actions and stupidity. Yes, some said the air would be cleaner, some said we were helping to bring democracy and capitalism to third world countries which would result in a more peaceful world, some said our workers were going to engage in higher levels of thinking, some were stupid enough to say that the manufacturing jobs that we lose would be made up in shipping finished products in from other countries, and they all said we didn't need those low level jobs. All one has to do is read the news to see how wrong these liars were.

By the way, buy some shoes made in America. Your feet will feel much better.

Mens Shoes - Mens Dress Shoes - Mens Casual Shoes
www.rancourtandcompany.com
Alden of New England
www.quoddy.com

Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Quote:
That apt condo conversion would have never appreciated. After 5 yrs ownership I broke even. I have no idea what they run today, but maybe in the $100K's....this was an apt bldg conversation (small units) cheap units, and many conversions have gone on here in So. Cal. People want to own or be owned. I bought this in the early 80's.... Glad I did, another lesson in life.

People work harder, to make more money, then they have to "protect" their gains in income.
If you can afford to live in SM, you are ahead of people living in $400K houses in the Midwest or south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics