Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 01:20 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
I know you have put a ton of effort into posting this myth on this site and twisting "statistic" facts into making it look like you are right but you do know that the medical care wealthy Americans pay for is not actually comparable to the "free" care provided by government support right? It's the same with housing or food assistance.

The government benefits replace the same type of service but they are not comparable financially or in reality of the service purchased/provided. So there is no way the people getting assistance are doing/feeling better or even the same as someone with the knowledge/skill set to acquire assets on their own.
Talk about twisting things. I challenge you to find anywhere i ever said medicaid was good care ?

I also challenge you to find where i ever said the poor are living better than those with assets.

I will save you the job. I said that most of the poor do not live on there incomes only. Many qualify for perks and medicaid is a perk .

All perks are worth dollars and those on medicaid have the value of those health benefits paid for making

their income larger than it is.
Many with assets who are healthy actually do tax planning around keeping taxabe income low enough to get medicaid. They are healthy ,use little in the way of healthcare and want it only for catastrophic use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Many investment properties were abandoned here... so it was not just owner occupants...

Not a block in my city of Oakland was spared...

Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 PM

280 posts, read 350,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Tiny (ownable) houses would solve that problem.
Tiny own-able houses exist now! There is a whole movement on tv about people buying them and living for pennies on the dollar!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:10 PM

280 posts, read 350,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Talk about twisting things. I challenge you to find anywhere i ever said medicaid was good care ?

I also challenge you to find where i ever said the poor are living better than those with assets.

I will save you the job. I said that most of the poor do not live on there incomes only. Many qualify for perks and medicaid is a perk .

All perks are worth dollars and those on medicaid have the value of those health benefits paid for making

their income larger than it is.
Many with assets who are healthy actually do tax planning around keeping taxabe income low enough to get medicaid. They are healthy ,use little in the way of healthcare and want it only for catastrophic use.
You post a lot about how a certain income is needed to overcome the "free" benefits people get from government programs. I'm just pointing out the false comparison when it comes to income equivalency, because it's relevant to the post. It is embedded in a lot of the advice you give.

I actually generally ignore it but I just started a new job at a major healthcare company that is offering to give me $11,000 a year in place of healthcare through them. I was initially thinking it would financially savvy to take the money and buy a plan on the exchange for half the cost, even after the 20% - 25% difference for taxes I would come out on top by a few thousand dollars. I'm healthy, 32 and single so all I get is an annual physical.

But after I talked to one of my friends who is an EMT and firefighter he broke down how the healthcare system is not comparable across payment channels due to the level of care available at each facility you would "qualified" to get care at.

The company I now work at has access to some of the best medical centers in the world so if anything did ever happens to me I could be in a situation where access to the minds the facilities employ could be the difference between a great outcome or tragedy. And even when choosing their plan I will still get an extra money annually because for a single person is much cheaper than a family.

There is no government sponsored equivalent. I could replace the nominal healthcare coverage but it's not a sound financial comparison. Same with housing or food. So yes some might jump on medicaid but the care they get might lead to a shorter life due to the limitations of the medical knowledge purchased with that medicaid, so again, not a sound financial comparison.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I agree, I mean really. I've worked in a shelter. Have either lived or worked around some of the slumiest places one could imagine. I have yet to encounter these poor people living lavishly off the dole. In fact I've seen the exact opposite that it is a miserable existence.

It's pretty clear that there is some embellishing of these stories going on to push an agenda.
Same here, I've done volunteer work with the poor for years, in spite of all the fancy calculations about how lucky they are, and how well they are doing, their lives suck.

About 5 million of the poor live in section 8 housing, another 2 million live in public housing (project vouchers) There were 40.6 million people in the US below the poverty level, so 33.6 million receive no housing assistance. (source US census bureau)

TANF is the only program providing cash to the poor, in Arizona a family of three receives $278 a month for 12 months, in Texas $286. In California a family of three receives between $549 and $704 through TANF depending on the cost of living in their area. In Los Angeles where the median rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1740. The LA section 8 list will open soon and it's anticipated that 600,000 people will apply, through screening and a lottery 20,000 will actually make the waiting list. The average wait time once on the list is 4-6 years.

Where do the poor live while on the housing wait list? They either sofa surf, sleep in a friends garage or live in their car.

TANF payments by state: https://www.cbpp.org/research/family...in-most-states

Old 01-15-2018, 11:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I've managed Section 8 for 35 years... and you would not know any of the single family homes I manage under Section 8 from any of the neighboring homes... neighbors are often shocked to learn a home is on Section 8.

Section 8 is the alternative to projects... it was to mainstream low income out of the projects and into typical neighborhoods.

My homes have green maintained lawns/landscape... exteriors are maintained and any issue is promptly addressed...

That said, I have not accepted any new applicants for sometime... the program changed a lot from the 1980's and almost each change was a takeaway from the owner prospective...

Over the years I have had success stories... families that no longer qualified and were on their way... sadly, these were far and few between and the norm of me is generational assistance/dependence.

I was very much in support of the program and part of the advisory committee... going to contract inspectors and no longer participating in tenant caused damage through the security deposit guarantee are my reasons for opting out...

Housing rational is too many loses due to tenant damage... that alone says something.

There are strategies for speeding up the process and certain individuals may be fast tracked... such as those that receive emergency vouchers after a disaster or disabled seniors in a seniors only complex.

One way to fast track is to apply to many different Housing Authorities... and be willing to relocate to the first one that comes up... knowing in a about a year the Voucher Holder can "Port" out to another...

Another point is being a Voucher Holder opens the doors to many other types of assistance... from Utility discounts, school meals, after school child care, county Health Programs... etc.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
The fact is that whatever you reward, you will get more of. Human nature. So if you reward "poverty" by giving them free stuff, you will get more "poverty". Look it up.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
The fact is that whatever you reward, you will get more of. Human nature. So if you reward "poverty" by giving them free stuff, you will get more "poverty". Look it up.
It doesn’t really matter in the context of the article, as it’s about middle class people who are getting to old age with inadequate funds (like my mom and also most likely myself) the poor will remain with the degree of help they’ve always had.

I don’t get the “reward” concept. My mother’s assisted living is being paid for by Medicaid after she blew through her savings in a few years once moved in, was $4500 a month then and $9000 a month now). So I guess that’s a boatload of “free stuff”. Guess she deserves to live in the street to teach her a lesson for being a secretary and not a CEO?

Old 01-16-2018, 12:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post

The earned income tax credit rewards work so there should be a lot more working poor?

Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
Tiny own-able houses exist now! There is a whole movement on tv about people buying them and living for pennies on the dollar!

That has been going on in Detroit for decades. Any NON "s-holes" where this is happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics