Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

A welfare program of some type will always be necessary. We will never move towards a donation type system as a society.

I have a very ill teenager that has been in and out of the hospital for the last 6 months. She can't go to the local hospital for treatment for her condition. She has to go to a pediatric hospital in a big city, a good hour commute from our house. Parking, gas, food, and lost wages are all a significant cost factor. Her stays are usually a week at a time. That is a week of missing work so I can be with her for the treatments.

No one has offered financial help in any way. People do not give to everyone in need. They pick and choose who to give to and who not to. A welfare program gives to everyone that qualifies based on need. Not who has a better story, or news coverage.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
A welfare program of some type will always be necessary. We will never move towards a donation type system as a society.

I have a very ill teenager that has been in and out of the hospital for the last 6 months. She can't go to the local hospital for treatment for her condition. She has to go to a pediatric hospital in a big city, a good hour commute from our house. Parking, gas, food, and lost wages are all a significant cost factor. Her stays are usually a week at a time. That is a week of missing work so I can be with her for the treatments.

No one has offered financial help in any way. People do not give to everyone in need. They pick and choose who to give to and who not to. A welfare program gives to everyone that qualifies based on need. Not who has a better story, or news coverage.
www.gofundme.com
It may help you.

I do hear what you are saying, however.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
www.gofundme.com
It may help you.

I do hear what you are saying, however.
I am not one to ask for help. I would much rather have people volunteer to help.

Our first stay was unexpected. It was the 3rd day in and I was desperate for clean clothes. A friend purchased some things and sent a bill. Don't get me wrong, I was grateful that she took the time to go grab me socks and underwear, but if the roles were reversed, I would never have expected her to pay me back. The hospital is in a really bad neighborhood, so going out is not really an option.

Lesson learned now is to take a packed suitcase to every doctors appointment, so we have clean clothes and items needed for hospital stays.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:

Basically, you're saying you have a problem and that you want "someone else" to take that problem from you, and since nobody is doing that willingly, they should be forced to.

We have tons of welfare programs. And every single one is absolutely rife with people who have been determined to have a "need", and a huge number of those people are simply lazy, grifters, have some unidentifiable "syndrome" that leaves them unable to work or wait in lines but are otherwise healthy, etc. Those are the people you should be lashing out at, not working people who are already soaked in so many taxes and expenses to support them that they have nothing left to give you.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM

Lots of people want to do away with all government run social /welfare programs and depend on churches and people to donate when situations arise. My point is this won't work for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous posts.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Basically, you're saying you have a problem and that you want "someone else" to take that problem from you, and since nobody is doing that willingly, they should be forced to.

We have tons of welfare programs. And every single one is absolutely rife with people who have been determined to have a "need", and a huge number of those people are simply lazy, grifters, have some unidentifiable "syndrome" that leaves them unable to work or wait in lines but are otherwise healthy, etc. Those are the people you should be lashing out at, not working people who are already soaked in so many taxes and expenses to support them that they have nothing left to give you.
Who are you to judge who needs whatever and who can and can't work? To look at my daughter you would think she is healthy and should be in school. What you can't see is that she has a life threatening condition that requires her to be hospitalized for blood treatments frequently.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Charity cannot work for HC, let alone all the other unmet needs of the poor. Charity might be able to fund part of someone's HC at one point in time. But many people at any one time and at any one location need some serious money. So the timing and location of charity is difficult to overcome, not only just volume.

Twice in 2017 we had to stay out of town for 1-3 months for my wife's HC needs. We are rich, so it was mentally stressful and an inconvenience. I can't imagine the stress and suffering if we were poor. Where do you stay? How do you eat? How do you get around? None of that is easy or cheap. Well Uber was maybe $10 a pop, so not too bad.

Her Obamacare will reimburse us $10K for the 3 months out of town for stem cell transplant.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:

Firstly, I'm sorry your daughter is so unwell.

Quote:
I am not one to ask for help. I would much rather have people volunteer to help.
Please ask.

I guarantee you that there are people who want and are willing to help you but don't know how best to help you. When people say "Let me know if I can do something" - tell them.

When I say that phrases to friends, I mean them. It's not just a platitude. It's just that I don't how best to help them. Is it providing a home cooked meal? A monetary donation? Taking their dog for a walk? Mowing their grass? Pick up clothes/supplies and bring them to you?

There are so many ways a friend can help, but what is the best way to help you? What do you need the most? Tell those friends what those are.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Something that nobody ever said or is saying.

Quote:
Lots of people want to do away with all government run social /welfare programs and depend on churches and people to donate when situations arise. My point is this won't work for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous posts.
Who? Specifically?

I'm confused though. Aren't you the member with the very expensive SUV and a rich boyfriend who pays for everything? Or is that someone else? Didn't you and your daughter flounce out of an expensive restaurant because they made you feel inferior because of dressing too casually in flip flops and shorts?

Maybe that was someone else because I'm sure you would have healthcare and other required safety nets before an $80,000 SUV. Like when my kid was young, I had a side policy which paid for lost wages under these circumstances and even a dog walker. State Farm.

I can't place where I know you from. Perhaps the house selling drama with the tenants and stuff LOL?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-18-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Understatement of The Year, 2018, Winner.

The only survivable future we have - at least, the only future worth surviving into - involves economic concepts that make "welfare" look like setting out bowls of food for kitties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics