Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:47 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times

Advertisements

Well, this type of topic can generate strong opinions. And, I certainly don't hold myself out to be an expert in the field of economics. On the other hand, how does one define "rekt?"

In 1913 a twenty dollar bill would purchase what it would require over $495 dollars to purchase today. That's a cumulative inflation rate of 2376%. I fear we have become much like the proverbial frog in the pot of water on a stove, being slowly boiled but, due to the time it takes, not taking note of the problem.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2018

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 04:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
On the other hand, how does one define "rekt?"
My deepest concern is that the definition might hinge on how long it's been since Trump last had his meds.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:43 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Rectum, damn near killed him.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Oh, they will.
Google "stopped clocks."

Quote:
And I will be mad when they do.
Oh, I'd say you're ahead of the curve on that.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Geez dude, he (and his sources) only have to be right once! Right?

Why is 'crushed' the standard? Beat up all to hell actually works better for them.

Some memories are limited to the last quarter; some aren't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_the_Bogue
If their memory goes back that far, let’s hope that they remember September of 1945 and October of 1969.

USSR planned nuclear attack on China in 1969 - Telegraph

Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
In order for the dollar to fall in value due to international actions, it would need to be replaced by something better. That isn't happening. Everyone thought the Euro would do it and then 2015 came along and exposed its issues (something about fiscal union). The yuan is pegged to the dollar and until China imports more than it exports, the yuan isn't going overseas in a big way anytime soon.

And what's this nonsense about Russia exceeding Saudi Arabia's reserves? Not even close. And there is more to the game than brute reserves otherwise Venezuela would not be collapsing.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Good luck. Our productivity and interest rates are both increasing. Dollar isnt going anywhere.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Good luck. Our productivity and interest rates are both increasing. Dollar isnt going anywhere.
Not so fast.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/o...blem.html?_r=0

"Our current debt may be manageable at a time of unprecedentedly low interest rates. But if we let our debt grow, and interest rates normalize, the interest burden alone would choke our budget and squeeze out other essential spending. There would be no room for the infrastructure programs and the defense rebuilding that today have wide support." - Paul Volcker

That's just a few reasons.

Had to LOL at the infrastructure program that I thought would happen.

NOPE!!!

How many threads do people write about it? Wide Support? LOL!!!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Well, this type of topic can generate strong opinions. And, I certainly don't hold myself out to be an expert in the field of economics. On the other hand, how does one define "rekt?"

In 1913 a twenty dollar bill would purchase what it would require over $495 dollars to purchase today. That's a cumulative inflation rate of 2376%. I fear we have become much like the proverbial frog in the pot of water on a stove, being slowly boiled but, due to the time it takes, not taking note of the problem.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2018

Rich
When I put in specifics the calculator is not accurate...

My neighbor paid $2500 for their 1000 square feet home in 1933 which just sold for $460,000... it was basically original... no designer anything and in Oakland California. The inflation calculator show it should be 10 times less if going on inflation... so 46k and not 460k

A state of the art Apple II with floppy drive and LQP Daisy Wheel Printer cost $3,000 and using the inflation calculator the same should be $8,000. The reality is vastly improved computing power with Printer, Fax, Scanner, Color, etc can be had for $500 today...

My 1930 car cost $500 new... and today is worth $15,000... the inflation calculator is half that at around $7500

Old 01-24-2018, 04:38 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/petr...contracts.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/11/chin...us-dollar.html

"In recent years, several nations opposed to the dollar being the world's reserve currency have progressively sought to try and abandon it.

For instance, Russia and China have sought to operate in a non-dollar environment when trading oil. Both countries have also increased their efforts to mine and acquire physical gold if, or perhaps when, the dollar collapses.

OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia is at the crux of the petrodollar."

How MUCH THEM CHINESE SECURITIES PAYIN????

4%.

I'll take IT!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Let me think about this for a minute. So what happens US dollar demand in the near term?

Well, REMEMBER, central banks are going to reduce their balance sheets as well in 2018 "allegedly".

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ear-mark-grant

That means there will be a capital flight from US, prob forcing the FED to buy into US equities.

REKT.
As the Global population approaches 10 Billion the competition for Energy, food and water will become very intense. The TOP four powers in the World will be the United States, Russia, China and India.

The USA and Russia are both capable of having surpluses of Energy in the next few years. China and India will have a difficult time meeting demand for DOMESTIC needs, especially as their populations increase their standard of living. Water shortages are facing all four of these countries and with FRACKING competing with FOOD production needs for water will affect ENERGY.

China is going to be facing a severe shortage of FEMALES because of their past abortion as family planning policies resulted in an imbalance between the sexes. If you think the competition is intense for energy, food and water just think how powerful the biological URGE will be to 50 million young Chinese MALES wanting to find a Mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics