Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

When you start constructing rent comparison scenarios that include no maintenance costs, renters filling it every day of the year who all actually pay, every home being purchased then lived in for life, etc. sure trot out that unicorn and we'll follow the trail of chocolate turds.

I've owned two, one of which we bought cash. Ten years was longer we kept one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Absolutely. This misconception of renters has always bugged me.
Exactly. Americans let others do their thinking for them, and the "American Dream" (owning your own home) is defined by the wealthy interests who build and sell and insure and repair houses. and develop subdivisions and sponsor the media which tells people everything they know.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
When you start constructing rent comparison scenarios that include no maintenance costs, renters filling it every day of the year who all actually pay, every home being purchased then lived in for life, etc. sure trot out that unicorn and we'll follow the trail of chocolate turds.
I haven't done anything of the kind. I'm fairly agnostic on the point, but both sides have escalated this into something of a religious war.

I did ask for some specific scenarios where renting builds wealth better than owning, and mostly got a few "I did! I did!" responses, which may be honest or nonsense but in any case are not indicative that there's a general scenario where renters build wealth better than homeowners.

The arguments from the Rent God side seems to be entirely about replacement roof costs and plumbing repairs, none of which have been convincingly from someone who's put a roof out for bid or woken up to a foot of water they had to deal with, and doomcrying about how houses won't be the appreciation machines they've been for, pretty much the last 100 years.

Buy. Rent. Spend. Save. I'm not the one who cares.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Exactly. Americans let others do their thinking for them, and the "American Dream" (owning your own home) is defined by the wealthy interests who build and sell and insure and repair houses. and develop subdivisions and sponsor the media which tells people everything they know.
I'm the last person to discount an international viewpoint, but have you ever actually lived in the US, or are we a show on CNN to you?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I haven't done anything of the kind. I'm fairly agnostic on the point, but both sides have escalated this into something of a religious war.
I think you overestimate the war side of things here. From what I've observed there are a few "my way was the right way" types but the majority seem to acknowledge there are a lot of variables that go into it and I've seen quite a few define the rent/buy equation as more of a lifestyle choice, which I'd agree with.

From my perspective I've owned homes and rented, in fact I'd wager most people who have owned homes have also rented although not always the case other way around. The main thing I'm objecting to in here is any notion that choosing one or the other path is some panacea to wealth and success.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Exactly. Americans let others do their thinking for them,
This kind of broad brush stuff usually comes from really bitter expats who believe their failures in USA are the result of everyone else and they are now enlightened in the land of no drinky tap water and wives 30 years younger than them.

Get real dude, there are 320+ million people in USA you can't assign a behavior to all of them.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,100 times
In Vancouver there are old run down houses for sale at 2 million dollars. Many people do not live in Vancouver or rent in Vancouver, to rent a apartment in Vancouver would be $2,000 a month for 400 sq. feet if lucky. I live in a smaller city outside of Vancouver where the rents average $900 - $1,000 monthly for a 1 bedroom apartment, 600 sq. feet that is 40 years old. You could buy a very nice new house here close to the beach for 2 million on a small city lot. A lot of people who work in Vancouver, travel there to work & live elsewhere. I do not find people in Canada richer because our prices on everything is much higher, housing, vehicle prices, restaurants, clothes etc. is all higher priced. I live about 1 hour from a U.S. border.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1940 View Post
In Vancouver there are old run down houses for sale at 2 million dollars.
My brother who lives in Vic sent me a clip of one at $3M... and I wouldn't buy it as a fixer with two zeroes knocked off. Crazy market. Almost as crazy as Denver in recent years.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I think you overestimate the war side of things here. From what I've observed there are a few "my way was the right way" types but the majority seem to acknowledge there are a lot of variables that go into it and I've seen quite a few define the rent/buy equation as more of a lifestyle choice, which I'd agree with.
The discussion just seems very polarized and wandered off into a basic rent-v-buy argument no longer connected to the wealth-building question. I'll just say I haven't been convinced there is any renting path to wealth building that exceeds the same assets in an owning situation, and that careful ownership is usually financially advantageous - the exceptions being people that get caught in an economic downturn, and those who buy a house needing more skill and effort than they can provide.

If you can't fix a loose doorknob and can't hire out every home task... rent.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
This kind of broad brush stuff usually comes from really bitter expats...
I have a stepson in his 30s who is now an Irish citizen and never misses a chance to slag how awful the US was to him and his skills that qualified him for a corner office at 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics