Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
One person in my other thread reference Paris public transporation (that is why I put USA only - didn't figure I'd be going).

Paris Public Transportaion do take cash. I have purchased a carnet of 10 metro tickets worth 16 Euros from Ticket Office in Paris. They can be used in Metro trains as well as Bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I believe the transaction cost of a debit card is higher that that for a credit card. The few places I've come across that won't take cash will take either type of card. Alaska Airlines does not take cash on their flights.
My parents own a small business, and they've told me that it's more costly to process credit cards. And credit cards with rewards take a even higher percentage. They ask their customers to pay in cash or debit but of course, will not turn down a sale if the customer prefers to use credit.

I don't know if that applies to all businesses (such as larger businesses) but I do know it applies to them.

Gas stations in my area have a "cash price" and a "credit price" (which also include debit cards). The cash price is usually about .10 cents a gallon cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If what you say is correct I find it extremely odd that there was nothing I could find on the websites you link that state there is a no cash policy. Why do they do this; is it that they don't trust their employees?
You're right - I found out only because I've eaten at those places. It's not even noted on their Yelp pages. It would be helpful for those who prefer paying in cash. Like my dad - while he does carry credit cards (but no debit cards), he's strictly an all cash guy. But then my dad would never pay $10+ for a burger. He'd see the prices and walk out.

I asked the hamburger joint about it and they explained that it's more efficient - eliminates their cashiers having to handle money, make change, and count and reconcile the till at the end of the evening. Also, it eliminates theft - from employees and/or robbers.

These places don't even have cash registers. They have iPads on a swivel - they tap in your order, then swivel it around for you to insert your card and choose if/how to receive a receipt. Done!

Last edited by HokieFan; 01-17-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Just thought of something, at some places with multiple registers, some will be card only, no cash with a separate line for cash or card.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My parents own a small business, and they've told me that it's more costly to process credit cards. And credit cards with rewards take a even higher percentage. They ask their customers to pay in cash or debit but of course, will not turn down a sale if the customer prefers to use credit.

I don't know if that applies to all businesses (such as larger businesses) but I do know it applies to them.

Gas stations in my area have a "cash price" and a "credit price" (which also include debit cards). The cash price is usually about .10 cents a gallon cheaper.
You're the second one to say this, so I guess I have that backwards. I don't run a business and don't have first hand knowledge. Just something I read.

Still, anyplace I've gone that accepts cards, accepts either type.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Still, anyplace I've gone that accepts cards, accepts either type.
Winco grocery stores do not accept any kind of credit card. Cash, check, EBT, or debit cards only. They claim it's because of the processing fees of credit cards, and handling credit transactions would raise the price of products in the stores.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
I've never seen anywhere that takes debit, but not credit cards. I've seen the odd place that doesn't take cash, but that's exceedingly rare, aside from airlines which makes sense.

The only other time I've seen payment terms strictly limited was with really large purchases, like a house, or a car being bought by a foreigner. I worked at a car dealership in Minneapolis and we would routinely sell used cars to Canadians that were hacking their country's tax code. Those required wire transfers. For John Smith, who lived one town over, if he had a good credit history and seemed to be a stable member of the community they'd take a large personal check, but they limited the amount for CC's to $3000. They'd take cash too, and I saw someone buy a car with an attache case full of bills once, though only once.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Of course there are, and they are usually evading taxes. Ethnic restaurants. Mom and Pop breakfast/lunch places. BBQ joints. Vietnamese nail salons. And those places that encourage you to pay cash, like South Asian-owned gas stations and convenience stores? You can bet that they're not declaring that cash income.

And to all who say, no way, I can reassure you. The owners and their families are on Medicaid, so you know that they're underdeclaring their income.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I posed a question regarding debit card usage recently and was assured some places now refuse cash and credit but no one provided any examples (in the US) of what these might be.

Has anyone run into this?
My DMV (tag office, run by contractors FWIW) has normal card terminals but a sign taped to them that states debit ONLY, no credit transactions. Cash but no checks.

I personally haven't seen both cash and credit rejected, unless you're talking about bill payments to utilities and loan products. While it's somewhat common knowledge that you shouldn't mail cash, some people are surprised when they can't pay their power bill with a debit card, or make a car payment with a debit card. To stop people "paying credit cards with credit cards", some institutions only accept check/electronic check for payment.

One weird thing is when signing up for Apple financing you have to enter a credit, not debit card, as part of your application. I tried a debit card but it knew the difference.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
There is a town near us where the gas station only accepts cash or 'local' checks. The town has no phone lines or cable, and the owner does not want to deal with a satellite dish for internet access. With no internet, they cannot accept CCs.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is a town near us where the gas station only accepts cash or 'local' checks. The town has no phone lines or cable, and the owner does not want to deal with a satellite dish for internet access. With no internet, they cannot accept CCs.
There is one chain of gas stations in SC called Spinx that allows you to pay cash INTO the pump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics