Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

We pay a lot in taxes. But people want services so there is the predicament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:39 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We pay a lot in taxes. But people want services so there is the predicament.
Thats a whole separate thread.... IMHO

Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
The working class don't really pay much in tax to begin with, I should know - I are one!!
I consider myself working class, I pay tens of thousands in taxes between state and Fed every year. The biggest scam is that the wealthy in this country are untouchable instead both Republicans and Democrats have decided that the middle and upper middle ($100k-300k or so) are those that will be taxed to death while the truly wealthy get off scott free.

Even if you make $300k/yr you aren't really wealthy, you're comfortable but not wealthy. The guy who makes $5 million/yr go after him and quit harassing the working class who have made a little bit more income.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I consider myself working class, I pay tens of thousands in taxes between state and Fed every year. The biggest scam is that the wealthy in this country are untouchable instead both Republicans and Democrats have decided that the middle and upper middle ($100k-300k or so) are those that will be taxed to death while the truly wealthy get off scott free.

Even if you make $300k/yr you aren't really wealthy, you're comfortable but not wealthy. The guy who makes $5 million/yr go after him and quit harassing the working class who have made a little bit more income.
The wealthy pretty much run this country, like an oligarchy.
But why punish someone just because they make a certain amount of money? Who decides what dollar value that is? Nothing more than class warfare.
Tax everyone the same, ie 12%, and no tax returns.. Just flat tax, and force the government to budget their money given to them to run their required duty's via law.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

The guy making $5m a year pays way more taxes than you and says the same thing about the guy making $20m a year.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is kind of nonsense. Let's say that "working class" has a $50K AGI cutoff. $25/hour. Filing single and taking the standard deduction, that's $4,375 in Federal income taxes. Your effective tax rate is less than 9%. Married, an AGI of $100K has the same numbers. You're still in the 12% bracket. The working class hardly pays any Federal income tax at all.
Thats good because we have the least to loose if the military goes away.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The wealthy pretty much run this country, like an oligarchy.
But why punish someone just because they make a certain amount of money? Who decides what dollar value that is? Nothing more than class warfare.
Tax everyone the same, ie 12%, and no tax returns.. Just flat tax, and force the government to budget their money given to them to run their required duty's via law.
Your lucky we have a big enough nanny state that its just class warfare and not full blown terrorism against the rich.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
The guy making $5m a year pays way more taxes than you and says the same thing about the guy making $20m a year.
no they don't. If you think that you are incredibly naive. Just to take a small example, a good friend of mine makes $500k/yr and pays half the amount of taxes I pay (as a percentage) through "creative accounting". I know this because he actually told me so... LMFAO! Earned income is the highest taxed, business and investment income well you can get really creative with it.

Guess that... virtually everyone who has very high income does not have what the IRS classifies as "earned income"

The truth is that, as a percentage, the truly wealthy pay a pittance in taxes, thanks to our seriously flawed tax code that was written by the rich and for the rich.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
The data doesn't support your view. You're pretty much just making numbers up out of thin air.
clearly.

and even a single data point (otherwise known as an anecdote or "my own situation") doesn't apply to the overall results.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"The U.S. economy's estimated growth rate in the fourth quarter was slashed to 1.5% from 2.7% by the Atlanta Federal Reserve after declines in retail sales and inventories. "

Trump's tax cuts are unsustainable.
without a link to your quote, hard to say when/where it came. Here's the results from a week after your original post:

Quote:
The US economy advanced an annualized 2.6 percent on quarter in the fourth quarter of 2018, beating market expectations of a 2.4 percent growth, the initial estimate showed.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics