Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I think "secret menu" says it all, but it being one with Coors beer before 1980 or whatever or Krispy Kreme before their failed national drive helps.

They're just okay-good burgers... but not being able to get them in the next state over makes them holy and grailed instead of grilled.
They are sure doing well for "just okay", but obviously you have a bug up your butt about them so there's no use discussing it, let's just move on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They are sure doing well for "just okay", but obviously you have a bug up your butt about them so there's no use discussing it, let's just move on now.
Not at all; you may have noticed that it is what's being discussed at the moment, and I was there when they rolled over the California landscape out of San Jose or wherever they started. I'm quite familiar with them and their pretty-good products. Sorry not to fall into worshipful awe at the topic.

If "sure doing well" is a measure of their superlativeness, McDonalds must be serving food of the gods.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Not at all; you may have noticed that it is what's being discussed at the moment, and I was there when they rolled over the California landscape out of San Jose or wherever they started. I'm quite familiar with them and their pretty-good products. Sorry not to fall into worshipful awe at the topic.

If "sure doing well" is a measure of their superlativeness, McDonalds must be serving food of the gods.
Really?

Quote:
An In-N-Out store outsells a typical McDonald’s nearly twice over, bringing in an estimated $4.5 million in gross annual sales versus McDonald’s $2.6 million. (In-N-Out, which is private, won’t comment on its financials.) In-N-Out’s profit margin (measured by earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) is an estimated 20%. That’s higher than In-N-Out’s East Coast rival Shake Shack (16%) and other restaurant chains that typically own their locations, like Chipotle (10.5%). Revenue should surpass $1 billion this year, roughly doubling in eight years, and the business is debt-free, according to the company. In-N-Out is conservatively worth $3 billion. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloeso.../#61c27dee4b9c

Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
This thread is making me hungry!

Old 05-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really?
Quote:
An In-N-Out store outsells a typical McDonald’s nearly twice over, bringing in an estimated $4.5 million in gross annual sales versus McDonald’s $2.6 million.
My.

The top McD's locations are estimated to gross $60M a year.

There are 36,000 McD's worldwide. There are 342 In'N'Outs on the West Coast.

I guess "doing well" is a matter of perspective.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
That's Pushkin Square in Russia which servers 40,000 customers per day.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...2fac190a16c5-c

How about in the USA?

Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
That's Pushkin Square in Russia which servers 40,000 customers per day.
Which is unconfirmed and considered by many to be behind some in Japan, not to mention Times Square and the facilities in major American museums. God knows what the take on most airport McD's is, as well.

Were you going to argue the 100:1 ratio of stores and distribution, too?

Or does one red-and-white grease trap on San Pablo Avenue rule them all?

Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Which is unconfirmed and considered by many to be behind some in Japan, not to mention Times Square and the facilities in major American museums. God knows what the take on most airport McD's is, as well.

Were you going to argue the 100:1 ratio of stores and distribution, too?

Or does one red-and-white grease trap on San Pablo Avenue rule them all?
I'm actually interested in the largest grossing in the USA. I know McDs doesn't release such figures, but thought you might have a source that estimates it.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
My.

There are 36,000 McD's worldwide. There are 342 In'N'Outs on the West Coast.

I guess "doing well" is a matter of perspective.
Part of the reason is the cost of living, and part of the reason is that you cannot have a part time store manager. There is a skill set that is absolutely necessary and non-negotiable to operate a location. So you have to pay a salary that will retain talent, where you won't be turning over managers every year.

Sadly, in the case of McDonald's, I wouldn't suspect the average order price to be much different in those locations than in lower-volume franchises. That would mean all that revenue is being raked in due to sheer volume. I would actually be afraid to work at a location running at that pace, 24/7. Unless there was some form of profit sharing going on, you aren't being rewarded for churning out 4x, 8x what some stores do.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm actually interested in the largest grossing in the USA. I know McDs doesn't release such figures, but thought you might have a source that estimates it.
Nope.

Doesn't really matter in this context. If anyone thinks outgrossing the neighborhood McD's is a triumphant achievement, I won't argue the point.

I guess InO's need to locate in WalMarts, and then the religiously supportive of both could die and go to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics