Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What was the source of that info?
I don’t know his source, but this article seems to have data on the topic.

https://www.wired.com/story/even-mor...ve-the-planet/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I don't know if the effects of this particular Saudi oil refinery bombing are necessarily global in their nature or economic impact. However, a greater concern is WHETHER OR NOT this action can again be conclusively tied to IRAN.

IRAN has grown progressively more aggressive in their policies, nuclear proliferation, exportation and support of regional terrorist groups, hijacking ships in the Hormuz straits, downing of drones ... and bellicose rhetoric against Israel and the U.S.. They have repeatedly taken actions to de-stabilize the mid-East region and seem unwilling to negotiate or change ANY of their 'bad behavior.'

IF this again proves to be IRAN, the question for the U.S. and her allies in the Mid-East is, "Where is the tipping point where the radical Islamic mullahs running the Iranian government have gone too far?? Is it when they actually launch a nuclear attack? ... OR something before then?

Of course, the question then will be, "What is the appropriate response and by whom?" Very tricky situation!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:18 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
One of the Iranian big dogs said "This guy Bush,,,,Why he had to %6*** up our deal??? Now he will get a new deal he will not be happy with"

Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
5m barrels offline as of 09/13, doesn't look good for gas prices.
Um, it's not an oil refinery.

It's an oil processing facility, which is something I've discussed in numerous posts. Learn and understand the difference.

The function of an oil processing facility is to remove sediments, particulate matter like crystallized oil and other particles, and metals like Vanadium, Nickel and Mercury. Oil fields in the Middle East and North Africa also tend to have high concentrations of Uranium.

In addition to that, the processing facilities remove water.

When you first start pumping a well, the static pressure alone is enough to get the oil out. But, as time passes and you extract more oil, the pressure falls, so to maintain static pressure, water is pumped into the oil field.

In the US we use table water, but in the Middle East, North Africa and elsewhere, like Nigeria and Venezuela, they use sea-water, because table water is too precious.

So, instead of a barrel of oil being 100% oil, it's 90% oil and 10% water. That proportion changes over time until a barrel of oil is 50% oil and 50% water.

That also, in conjunction with oil prices, determines if a field remains in operation or is shut down.

A good example is Illinois Intermediate. That field is almost gone. A barrel of oil is 50%-75% water and not oil. When oil price drop, it's not profitable to operate the field, so the wells are shut down. When oil prices rise to a certain point, it's now profitable and the wells are restarted.

Understand they don't actually use barrels. That's just a term.

The wells have feeder-pipelines that connect to a main pipeline which goes to a processing facility. After the water, sediments, particulate matter and metal ores are removed, it goes through a pipeline to a refinery or to a port into an oil tanker.

Generally, processing facilities cannot remove non-metallic minerals like Sulfur. That has to be done at a refinery, where the oil is in a cracking still and catalysts are used to remove the Sulfur.

The cracking stills in refineries are set up based on the type of oil, and oil comes in many different flavors.

If your refinery is set up for light oil, you cannot refine intermediate or heavy oils. If it's set up for heavy oils, you cannot refine intermediate or light oils.

That's because the height and width of the cracking stills are built to the weight of the oil.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,286 times
Im just hoping we avoid yet another war.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I don't know if the effects of this particular Saudi oil refinery bombing are necessarily global in their nature or economic impact. However, a greater concern is WHETHER OR NOT this action can again be conclusively tied to IRAN.

IRAN has grown progressively more aggressive in their policies, nuclear proliferation, exportation and support of regional terrorist groups, hijacking ships in the Hormuz straits, downing of drones ... and bellicose rhetoric against Israel and the U.S.. They have repeatedly taken actions to de-stabilize the mid-East region and seem unwilling to negotiate or change ANY of their 'bad behavior.'

IF this again proves to be IRAN, the question for the U.S. and her allies in the Mid-East is, "Where is the tipping point where the radical Islamic mullahs running the Iranian government have gone too far?? Is it when they actually launch a nuclear attack? ... OR something before then?

Of course, the question then will be, "What is the appropriate response and by whom?" Very tricky situation!
you have to be a blind Americanist to believe this stuff. you realize that the US is actively trying to destroy Iran's economy. that is an act of war by itself. how would you like it if someone tried to destroy America's economy? Iran gets punished for nothing and takes it because they dont want to die (and the US wants to mass murder as many people as they can).

the good thing is that the American people have caught onto the fact that the US government is basically the modern day evil when it comes to foreign policy and they dont want more war. i dont see this as being something that would get a war going. unfortunately, if the military industrial complex wants a war they will likely need to directly attack americans.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:54 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,446 times
I would bet the Israelis did it so we would bomb Iran for them or sell them more weapons. Wouldn't be the first time, and we get them to do our dirty work all the time.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I would bet the Israelis did it so we would bomb Iran for them or sell them more weapons. Wouldn't be the first time, and we get them to do our dirty work all the time.
I love all these guesses. I just hope nobody believes them.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:13 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I don't know if my clearance continued after I retired out, like so many big shots from Washington still have clearances for absolutely no reason. I'll check.

I figure things out. I've been a student and a professional in human behavior for a long time.
I know what a psyop is. I know what a liar is. I know what motivates people, and it's not always wanting to do good and seek justice. Power and wealth motivate, and a thirst for war.

Some things are so obvious as to beg outright laughter. The Vegas shooting for instance. The "shooter's" hotel room was obviously staged. It was neat as a pin, a few rifles were laid down because most people don't know anything about "assault rifles" and if they see a photo of a gun they figure that's good enough.
The floor would have been littered with spent shell casings. There were none.
Witnesses reported more than one shooter, one or more on the ground.
Numerous witnesses ended up very dead not long after giving testimony. I won't start in on Oswald here, you probably believe that story too.
lmao.....cool story bro....if you ever had a clearance you'd know they don't carry beyond retirement. Your security access was revoked at the time of your leaving the job for which that clearance was needed and your security clearance was deactivated at that time. Your background investigation remains current for 24 months. Your security access can be reinstated by qualifying for all the prerequisites of the new job within 24 months of your last background investigation.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What was the source of that info?
https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Hybrids-.../dp/0865715718
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics