Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

Advertisements

Its looking like more and more americans are getting fed up with monopolies.

So when the crap starts to hit the fan will enforcement of anti trust have to be transfered from the STC to the FBI because companies are not just going to willingly be busted up. Will it require armed force to bust these companies up and how would someone get in on that and become the eliot ness of trust busting?

How awesome would it be to walk into phiser or boeing with guys with MP5's and saying you guys are done, this is going to be 5 companies now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
I'd suggest several aspirin, several glasses of water and an an ice-pack for the impending headache.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:30 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
I think you’d be better served to post this over in the health and wellness forum.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You are always commenting on some recently trending sentiment in America that happens to align perfectly with the topic of your latest rant, yet everyone here knows your only source of this information is yourself.

I submit the overwhelming majority of Americans haven't fired a single synapse on monopolies.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:

So when the crap starts to hit the fan will enforcement of anti trust have to be transfered from the STC to the FBI because companies are not just going to willingly be busted up.
Possibly, but the government has a lot of power to move assets around via court orders if necessary to enforce the law.

Quote:
Will it require armed force to bust these companies up and how would someone get in on that and become the eliot ness of trust busting?
No, using "armed force" will just get you sent to prison.

If enough people are determined to force a company to split, it can be done by a complete boycott and absolute deprivation of their business until they cooperate. But this requires a lot of people who not only agree that it needs to be busted but are willing to prioritize doing so over their own personal conveniences, in other words, to make sacrifices.

Quote:

How awesome would it be to walk into phiser or boeing with guys with MP5's and saying you guys are done, this is going to be 5 companies now.
That is not how things work in a civilized society. You should be asking how awesome it would be to get to serve them with court papers...

Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You are always commenting on some recently trending sentiment in America that happens to align perfectly with the topic of your latest rant, yet everyone here knows your only source of this information is yourself.

I submit the overwhelming majority of Americans haven't fired a single synapse on monopolies.
Donald Trump talks like this too. “People are saying.....” when the only people saying it are the voices in his head.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

And in this case, it also demonstrates that the OP doesn't understand what a monopoly is or how our antitrust laws work. His examples, Boeing and Pfizer, are not monopolies and are not violating any antitrust law.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:09 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:

So when the crap starts to hit the fan will enforcement of anti trust have to be transfered from the STC to the FBI because companies are not just going to willingly be busted up. Will it require armed force to bust these companies up and how would someone get in on that and become the eliot ness of trust busting?

If you are trying to make a point, it does not help to appear ignorant and make a large number of mistakes in only a couple of sentences:

"It's", not "its", is an acceptable contraction for "it is".
"Americans" should be capitalized.
It is "antitrust" not "anti trust".
"Transferred" not "transfered".
The "STC" does not regulate antitrust. I think you meant SEC; however, regulation is under the scope of the Department of Justice.
"....companies are not just going to willingly be busted up". Yikes!
"eliot ness" Again, I guess you just do not want to capitalize proper names.
"phiser"!! You probably mean "Pfizer" even though that company only has a 5.6% share of the market.
"boeing". At least you spelled "Boeing" correctly.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:

There is a point in some industries where you stop seeing price decreases due to competition, and it starts increasing due to infrastructure being duplicated. I've seen some things come close, including:

- Half a neighborhood served by Duke Energy, the other half of served by Union Electric, with restoration times DAYS apart after an ice storm.

- Dual/diverse energy sources for large hospitals and data centers, where 99.999+% uptime is REQUIRED.

But I have never seen a run-of-the-mill residential or commercial office space with the option of tapping into one of two or more sets of power lines "just because".

Has anyone?

Old 12-11-2019, 04:29 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
We were start a new local community based hospital, and the entrenched hospital owners effectively blocked us. Buying out our docs, clinics, urgent care, surgery center and other assets. And then land around our project at markedly inflated prices just to physically block entry and egress. So they squelched the whole deal with their money. And continued on making huge profits. Many local medical procedures today could have been much cheaper.

I was to file an anti-trust action, so I called our medical group's attorney. I heard nothing for months. And then I discovered he was representing the entrenched hospital!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics