Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:04 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times

Advertisements

[quote=sheerbliss;56864105]Again, the minimum wage is $0. When people are earning nothing, which is the situation some people will end up in, 100% of their expenses will be paid by welfare. Assuming they have no friends or family to support them.

If the job doesnt pay what it takes to rent the cheapest apartment in the area, its a job that doesnt need to be done. Its pointless. This teenager job thing is red herring. Teens dont take these jobs, people whose blue collar jobs went to China and Mexico are taking them cause there isnt anything else. Not everybody can be a CEO.

The rungs on the ladder above minimum wage are MISSING. Employers are requiring bachelor degree for jobs that didnt used even take a high school diploma. Just cause they can. And watch out even white collar jobs are disappearing to foreigners with work visa that corporation swear no American wants. Yea, no American wants at the wage they want to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 04:19 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
WUH?????? Can they do it, maybe...........but they should not.

I am currently in a small, kinda dilapidated desert city in California........there are lots of fairly large building that are empty, have been so at least since the last time I was here a year ago.

Guess what, if some of those Mcjobs where to hit here due to those empty buildings being filled with
Mcbusinesses, it would be a better place, more jobs, more competition, more places to shop.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
[quote=HJ99;56864196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Again, the minimum wage is $0. When people are earning nothing, which is the situation some people will end up in, 100% of their expenses will be paid by welfare. Assuming they have no friends or family to support them.

If the job doesnt pay what it takes to rent the cheapest apartment in the area, its a job that doesnt need to be done. Its pointless. This teenager job thing is red herring. Teens dont take these jobs, people whose blue collar jobs went to China and Mexico are taking them cause there isnt anything else. Not everybody can be a CEO.

The rungs on the ladder above minimum wage are MISSING. Employers are requiring bachelor degree for jobs that didnt used even take a high school diploma. Just cause they can. And watch out even white collar jobs are disappearing to foreigners with work visa that corporation swear no American wants. Yea, no American wants at the wage they want to pay.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 21% of minimum-wage jobs are filled by teenagers. Almost half are filled by people 16 to 24. https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min...ome.htm#table1

I agree that too many jobs have ridiculous requirements and some employers are abusing the H1B system. But well paying blue collar jobs are going begging for lack of skilled workers. When I lived in Denver, my mechanic had a one-month wait list, it took ten phone calls to find someone to fix my roof, and my mother couldn't find anyone to fix her power wheelchair. Mike Rowe says it's getting harder and harder to give away scholarships training people for blue collar work. https://www.mikeroweworks.org

You think that any job that doesn't pay enough for rent on an apartment doesn't need to be done? Even if it can be done by a mom, a student or retiree who only wants to work part-time? Even if it's a full-time job, yes, floors need to be mopped, dishes need to be washed, garbage needs to be collected, buses need to be driven, packages need to be delivered, patients need to be bathed, lawns need to be mowed, and burgers need to be flipped.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:34 PM

106,793 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
can cities and munis set zoning laws such that mcjob creators are extremely limited and their businesses licenses denyed?

Is it possible for people to start fighting mcjob creators at a local level or do states have the power to over ride a cities zoning laws if some mega corp does not like a city zoning law?

I mean cities restrict how many establishments can get a liquor license why not restrict how many employers can operate that have anyone on pay roll making less than $20/hr. Maybe require a specail mcjob permit and severly restrict the numbers and give preference to the local ice cream shop or family owned burger joint ...

Thus it would become nearly an impossible nightmare for a wal mart of mcdonalds to ever open. Or if a city is already burdened with a bunch of mcjob creators just strip their business license and force them to sell of the real estate and leave.

Or would states just trample all over cities that did this?
A rediculous idea...we need negative reps

Old 12-14-2019, 06:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,590,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Are you concerned how those wages are going to pay for living expenses in that community. Cause you dont pay living wage, you are forcing the rest of us to subsidize your workers through welfare. People dont just live on the air in Cincinnati.
So when my neighbor's 16 year old kid bagged groceries for min wage so he could buy crap like fancy new trucks for his skateboard and save up for his first beater car I was subsidizing him as a taxpayer so he could survive? I'm skeptical of this.

Quote:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 21% of minimum-wage jobs are filled by teenagers. Almost half are filled by people 16 to 24. https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min...ome.htm#table1
To take this further, only about 25% of part time workers are part time for economic reasons. The other 75% are the high school kids, the retiree making extra money, the college student making money on the side, the parent working part time while the kids are in school, etc. the ones who aren't necessarily relying on that wage to put bread in their mouths.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:24 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,289,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Most municipalities have attracted a bunch of crooks and scumbags to the zoning boards. Often these are local businessmen who want to restrict competition by not allowing competitors to open stores. When I moved to Long Island, the local stores had managed to fend off any of the major chains. The grocery stores were the worst I had seen anywhere including when I lived in the rural South. They were dirty with worn out flooring, rusty carts, limited stock and high prices.

When I moved I tried to fix up my house. I had difficulty getting supplies at the local hardware stores. Again they were crowded, under stocked and prices were high.

Finally, years later, the flood gates opened. It started with a major grocery store. The local stores had to quickly clean up their acts or go out of business. Soon Home Depot and Lowe's and KMart also opened stores. That cleared out a bunch of the worst of the local stores.

Whenever I hear comments about supporting your local businesses, I cringe. Why? There are plenty of local stores that offer great quality goods and services. Those that are ripping off the customer should go under. Fast food is a good example. We have McDs and Burger King and Pizza Hut, but way more local brands. There are Pizza places on every corner. The competition is fierce and the local Pizza Hut went out of business. Delis are about the same. We have a deli/sandwich shop on every corner. The last one that closed and went out of business was a Subway.

If you don't like the large chains, do use them. Personally I like the minimum standards that every McD's sets. It is expensive, salty food. That leaves plenty of opportunity for a local store to compete.
You are right about some of these small town locally owned stores. I live in a small rural town of less than 3K citizens. Most of the local stores are closed, but thankfully we still have other small businesses coming in. We just don't buy our clothes, shoes, here. Well take that back - did get some tee shirts at the Dollar Store.

But back to the topic of bad small store owners. I remember my mom wanted to buy a pair of high top sneakers. She wanted to be able to walk around in comfort when she did yard work. This was in the early 70s. Can you beleive the old bat mom of the owner REFUSED to sell them to her!

Told her they were only for MEN. So long old bat. My mom stayed there until she got her sneakers.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:37 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
can cities and munis set zoning laws such that mcjob creators are extremely limited and their businesses licenses denyed?

Is it possible for people to start fighting mcjob creators at a local level or do states have the power to over ride a cities zoning laws if some mega corp does not like a city zoning law?

I mean cities restrict how many establishments can get a liquor license why not restrict how many employers can operate that have anyone on pay roll making less than $20/hr. Maybe require a specail mcjob permit and severly restrict the numbers and give preference to the local ice cream shop or family owned burger joint ...

Thus it would become nearly an impossible nightmare for a wal mart of mcdonalds to ever open. Or if a city is already burdened with a bunch of mcjob creators just strip their business license and force them to sell of the real estate and leave.

Or would states just trample all over cities that did this?
What is the nature of your business? You seem to be knowledgeable about the restaurant business.
Any suggestions on how to be successful?
We look forward to your advice.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:42 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,978,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post

Also, those type of zoning laws screw with the tax base and is why the teachers/police/firefighters that work in the "purified" communities can't ever hope to live there!
Before there were all these Wall Street Franchise Corporations around in all sectors of retail, and what not, how did the Teachers/Police/admin live there or anywhere? Then again, most cops and teachers already dont live in the town they work in. Why would you want to? Do doo doo where you eat as the saying goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Most municipalities have attracted a bunch of crooks and scumbags to the zoning boards. Often these are local businessmen who want to restrict competition by not allowing competitors to open stores. When I moved to Long Island, the local stores had managed to fend off any of the major chains. The grocery stores were the worst I had seen anywhere including when I lived in the rural South. They were dirty with worn out flooring, rusty carts, limited stock and high prices.

When I moved I tried to fix up my house. I had difficulty getting supplies at the local hardware stores. Again they were crowded, under stocked and prices were high.

Finally, years later, the flood gates opened. It started with a major grocery store. The local stores had to quickly clean up their acts or go out of business. Soon Home Depot and Lowe's and KMart also opened stores. That cleared out a bunch of the worst of the local stores.

Whenever I hear comments about supporting your local businesses, I cringe. Why? There are plenty of local stores that offer great quality goods and services. Those that are ripping off the customer should go under. Fast food is a good example. We have McDs and Burger King and Pizza Hut, but way more local brands. There are Pizza places on every corner. The competition is fierce and the local Pizza Hut went out of business. Delis are about the same. We have a deli/sandwich shop on every corner. The last one that closed and went out of business was a Subway.

If you don't like the large chains, do use them. Personally I like the minimum standards that every McD's sets. It is expensive, salty food. That leaves plenty of opportunity for a local store to compete.
These "McJobs" though have lots of financial backing, and are in just about all sectors. They can easily out bid "local" businesses for just about anything from RE, to vendor exclusivity.

Keeping things "local" or "mom and pop" is more about keeping things fair.

Quote:

Who is going to buy all this real estate hitting the market at once--especially when the businesses have been forced to close?

If the RE sits, the price will get cheaper and cheaper. That will lower an entry barrier for new entrants into the sector.

Quote:

I am picturing a lot of illegals.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 PM

513 posts, read 542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Before there were all these Wall Street Franchise Corporations around in all sectors of retail, and what not, how did the Teachers/Police/admin live there or anywhere? Then again, most cops and teachers already dont live in the town they work in. Why would you want to? Do doo doo where you eat as the saying goes.

These "McJobs" though have lots of financial backing, and are in just about all sectors. They can easily out bid "local" businesses for just about anything from RE, to vendor exclusivity.

Keeping things "local" or "mom and pop" is more about keeping things fair.

If the RE sits, the price will get cheaper and cheaper. That will lower an entry barrier for new entrants into the sector.

I am picturing a lot of illegals.
Well, maybe they don't want to commute 45 minutes to an hour to go to work - but I'm sure those teachers/police/fire aren't pure Aryan enough in their bloodlines to actually be allowed in those "enlightened" communities you get a hard on from.

But hey, those old money families and the idiotic zoning ordinances designed to keep the riff-raff out...didn't realize their doo doo was so special!

Old 12-15-2019, 01:05 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,388,420 times
Quote:

What bunk - you need a lesson on economics. Wages are set by the market, not some idea of what it should be by an idealist. Many jobs were originally meant to be done by those starting out / least skilled (such as teenagers) are now being done by some who are now making a career of these type of mcjobs and wonder why they don't pay well.

In a free market, a "fair" wage is that where someone is willing to do the job is the amount someone is willing to pay for the job to get done. Without a minimum wage, the workers are paid the equilibrium wage (supply equals demand). For a minimum wage to impact the market, it must be above the equilibrium wage which will lead to excess supply of labor. The minimum wage legislation does help some workers by increasing their wages, but others may lose their jobs, especially those workers with lower skills and knowledge. Not necessarily a net benefit as some end up better able to support themselves and some now unable to support themselves. If economy growing, then wages are naturally increasing without need of artificially propping up.

Employers are not requiring a degree "just because they can" in a free market. There is a benefit to the employer and they are willing to pay it if it really exists. How many blue collar jobs such as landscapers, plumbers, construction, electricians, etc. are filled by those with a degree or went to China.

Last edited by ddeemo; 12-15-2019 at 01:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics