Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 08:35 AM

106,967 posts, read 109,241,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
As an insurance policy, twenty years ago I bought $1000 of silver quarters for ~ $3400. They have been sitting in a bucket ever since. In terms of investment thinking, the IRR is not good at all compared to the same money in shares of say AAPL. But that’s not why I bought them.
today currency will be toilet paper and Excedrin in the coming weeks .

Old 03-15-2020, 08:44 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,808,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
no way is this over. Toilet Paper is now a luxury in America, History will show
Remember, buy Charmin....

Old 03-15-2020, 09:12 AM

4,252 posts, read 2,480,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
As an insurance policy, twenty years ago I bought $1000 of silver quarters for ~ $3400. They have been sitting in a bucket ever since. In terms of investment thinking, the IRR is not good at all compared to the same money in shares of say AAPL. But that’s not why I bought them.
Junk silver coins will be the first to go when the real run on silver begins...

Old 03-15-2020, 11:47 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,081,269 times
Heck, I just re-use my TP, I've got a few pieces that are going on six months old. The upside is that I don't have to make any effort on the whole "social isolation" thing.

What amazes me, is I haven't heard of any commentators stating how "good" of a thing it would be if ten or twenty percent of those over sixty-five years of age actually do kick the bucket in one fell swoop, SS and Medicare would become solvent almost overnight, and the GenX'rs would become the wealthiest generation (if they aren't already). The stock of pharmaceutical manufacturers, Walgreens, health care, nursing homes, prune farms, etc. would get hit along with the cruise lines, but man, would there ever be a run on F150's with the newfound wealth. While we are still consumers and investors, the people that this virus hits disproportionately hard are NOT the Worker Bees driving the economy.

All I can say to those who are predicting the end of the world, is "Settle down, Francis". Things are going to be turbulent for the next few months, and those working in affected industries (sports, entertainment, restaurants, travel) are going to be hit hard, but the rest of the economy should continue on fairly normally. Think about it - the virus mostly ignores young, healthy, working-age people (and I'm ecstatic that it's mostly leaving kids alone). The mortality rate is higher even in those age groups, but will still be relatively small overall for them. For us old-timers? Better do whatever you can do to avoid catching it to begin with, there are going to be a lot less of us around in the coming year or two unless they get a vaccine developed. If I don't already have it, I'm getting ready to hunker down for the next six or eight weeks and keep away from other people, the Dogs are going to think they went to heaven. For the record, I've already started to buy into the depressed market, and will buy more as (if) it drops further.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,606,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The economy will not recover from this.
Bookmarked.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:56 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,240,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The economy will not recover from this. The virus could be cured and eradicated tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference. The colossal hyper debt bubble has already been popped.

The problem with the economy isn't the corona virus, the problem is the bubble
Agreed.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think we are within 5 to 10% of the bottom .... the bad news is out and the worst expected ....remember markets run on what could be not what is ...

I disagree but I sure do hope you're right. I don't think the real bad news has even begun yet. We're still dealing with First World problems, assuming this is going to be all gone by mid-summer.

Wait until people can't get what they desperately NEED. So far, the shortages in grocery stores are just making it hard for people to hoard, when they aren't even out of anything yet.

Wait until mass layoffs begin. When businesses are closing or canceling events and having their revenue streams dry up they won't be able to keep paying employees. It's one thing to hunker down and work from home or take paid leave, it's quite another to hunker down without a job or source of income.

Wait until people are actually worried about their financial and physical health. So far, people are grumbling how all the canceled events have dashed their entertainment plans or delayed their vacations. When they have to worry how to make their mortgage payment, vacations and concerts and festivals will be the last things on their minds.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
A lot is only being postponed and these businesses will be extra busy down the road .....

It is like many cancelled trips are credits that will be taken later instead ....

Many will end up doubling up their businesses when the delayed crowd showing up and the new people showing up all converge together .

The tour I was doing with the recording artists is on hold ..but it will still continue as well
down the road

I do agree there will be some pent-up demand but I also think the fear will linger awhile for many. There will be many that continue to worry about travel and being in crowds.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Heck, I just re-use my TP, I've got a few pieces that are going on six months old. The upside is that I don't have to make any effort on the whole "social isolation" thing.

You actually wipe? I bought a bidet.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:59 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,832,327 times
Quote:
i am not worried about toilet paper

i notice the super markets have plenty of sliced bread ha ha ha

True enough but, alas, no more Sears catalogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics