Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Also, along with unemployment came the loss of company subsidized health insurance. That is a giant added monthly expense for cobra or aca payments.
For lower income families, children were getting the bulk of their meals at school or summer programs- food banks don’t fully cover what was in place and are much more time consuming, inconvenient and unsafe with children in tow.
I would not assume all families have 2 parents or that both parents were working.
Some workers have giant drops income but do not qualify for unemployment because they still make above the threshold- this is especially true of higher paid hourly who have had their hours cut in half. Some would rather work part time and keep their jobs than get the larger unemployment payment.
How about the people who count on income from their 2 or 3 family or short term vacation rentals. They still have to pay mortgage and property taxes and cannot evict.
Not everyone wants unemployment benefits even if they qualify, my husband being one of them. Decided to leave his money in the kitty for others who need it. This decision was made when the $600 adder showed up to my unemployment benefits.This more than suffices our basic monthly expenses.

HOWEVER...what I love is our internet discount!! I made a very smart move.

Between 1990-2015 we had a business phone with AT&T. Long story short, they screwed us by not allowing us to port over their expensive business phone line, even for yrs after the law was enacted forcing them to. Threatened to cut off our business phone if we didn't pay for what-ever extra services they fraudulently added on saying YES you did sign up! Except no I didn't. All we had was the business line.

$100+ a month for this business phone + whatever charges they decided for whatever service. With it taking months to have the fraudulent service removed or after the 1 yr period. Some time off from scamming then it would happen again. Way back in the early 90's and it increased in cost as the years passed. Threatened to cut off our business phone if we didn't pay. No other business phone could be had at that time.

Free internet equipment,+ $10 a month internet thru AT&T Now. I LOVE It!!

Living in a small county in a sub division where over 1/2 of the county workers reside (for the one office on this side of the county) helps. It means though I didn;t know the worker, the fact we were neighbors sorta in the same sub division meant she believe me. Told them I only qualified for food stamps for this month. A card to me within 2 days with a request to the postmaster to just place it in my box without going thru the mail.

Whatever amt put on the card will default to credit the county back after 1yr due to not being used

Eventually we should make a good sized dent in re-couping the money at&t owes us this way. Just plan each year to call in sick in one individual month not using PTO to lower income. Also the company usually allowed us to trade working days to use PTO so it never really had to build up until you needed/wanted actual days off. Many made more $ this way, trading work days.

Last edited by SaraR.; 05-21-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 11:02 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,459,291 times
Because people are in debt up to their eyeballs and have little to nothing saved up.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:20 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Where do you get your numbers from? At least 1k/week unemployment? A lot of people have not gotten the drop on the hot stone aka stimulus check yet. Rents are frozen where? How many single income households are there? How long does it take to start receiving benefits? Please do some research.

Just because the current situation works for you and your family does not mean your fantasy numbers are reality for a lot of working families. Ity is so easy to say "put family first" when you have the means to back it up.
I don't understand the stimulus grumbling.

I've filed electronically every year since I entered the professional workforce in 2010. I filed my taxes in early February. The refund was in there less than two weeks later.

My stimulus was in my account a week or so after the government said it was electronically disbursing the funds. This stuff is automated. If someone filed electronically and has the correct bank account info, I have no idea why it wouldn't be in there by now.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:44 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I've filed electronically every year since I entered the professional workforce in 2010. I filed my taxes in early February. The refund was in there less than two weeks later.

My stimulus was in my account a week or so after the government said it was electronically disbursing the funds. This stuff is automated. If someone filed electronically and has the correct bank account info, I have no idea why it wouldn't be in there by now.
There are plenty of people who file with paper or have not filed yet or have not owed so no banking info is on file.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:56 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
There are plenty of people who file with paper or have not filed yet or have not owed so no banking info is on file.
It is now May.

We're about five weeks beyond the normal 4/15 filing deadline. If someone hasn't filed by now without a good reason, that's basically on them. It is not the fault of the government.

Other than the elderly, how many people can't access a web browser to file a standard tax return at Turbo Tax or whatever in this day and age?

Old 05-21-2020, 01:36 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
It is now May.

We're about five weeks beyond the normal 4/15 filing deadline. If someone hasn't filed by now without a good reason, that's basically on them. It is not the fault of the government.

Other than the elderly, how many people can't access a web browser to file a standard tax return at Turbo Tax or whatever in this day and age?
For one thing, it didn’t count to the irs that they had your electronic information when you owed them money. It was only for refunds. So I had a delay because of that. And if I hadn’t went to their website, it would have taken even longer than it did.

Also, many people have to file extended returns if they’re waiting on k1s or other investment statements.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Where do you get your numbers from? At least 1k/week unemployment? A lot of people have not gotten the drop on the hot stone aka stimulus check yet. Rents are frozen where? How many single income households are there? How long does it take to start receiving benefits? Please do some research.

Just because the current situation works for you and your family does not mean your fantasy numbers are reality for a lot of working families. Ity is so easy to say "put family first" when you have the means to back it up.
Ok, my calc for Texas was wrong. I thought they were paying folks up to $1k a week before the CARES ACT bonus but $521 is the standard max.

The NJ UI benefit is $713 plus $600 CARES ACT gives you $1313 before income taxes per week. That equals to $1313 x 4 = $5,252 a month.

Why would anyone want to work?

When people apply for UI, it depends on honest you are. I've filled out the application many times in the past and you just have to answer if you tried or not. Then the benefit amount depends how much salary you've made in the previous tax filing. I've always gotten the max amount.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:

You've be surprised how many people filled an app online and forgotten to hit the submit button and closed the browser tab so ended it. Amazon has made quick checkouts super easy but the government does not. Without some type of confirmation number or email you didn't actually submitted. I know for NYC and NJ that once you submit it you get a confirmation number and then 3 weeks later a letter stating that your claim and determination. Then in 6 weeks or so you have to check into the website to see if your filing is ready for submitting the weekly claims. Once it's available you just check in and answer like 6 questions and hit submit. Then deposit shows up in my bank a week afterwards.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:07 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I filed on line I ny ....it told me when I submitted someone will call me in 72 hours to finalize my claim ....no one ever called ...I waited 2 weeks ...then I called every day only to be hung up on by the system ..it took 6 weeks of trying to get through To finally get put in the calling que ...I held for an hour ...they asked the same questions already on the application for the most Part ...A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME ... THERE WAS NO REASON TO CALL AND NO REASON THIS COULD NOT BE FINISHED ON LINE

Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
On what planets are rents being "frozen"? There are a handful of cities that have eviction moratoriums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics