Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 02:34 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Even here in nyc where everything is pro tenant , no rents have been frozen at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
There are plenty of people who file with paper or have not filed yet or have not owed so no banking info is on file.
I did the non-filer form on April 11th and got my deposit on April 29th. Maybe I'm just really lucky?

Old 05-21-2020, 03:07 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I keep reading news of food banks having long lines before it opens up and how dire it is for the recent unemployed. But unless you are an illegal you should have gotten the stimulus check along with unemployment benefits including the Federal additional $600/week bonus.

Even the Illegals get the check since some will file tax returns with an ITIN or stolen ss numbers just to get a check. But, a US Citizens who owe child support are the ONLY ones that don't get it along with those above the income threshold. How sad that is.

With rent being frozen at many cities and mortgages getting forbearance. This should help people free up $1500-3000+ in monthly living expenses.

I'm not aware that rents are frozen everywhere and won't have to be paid back at certain time. But, where I'm at, it's not frozen and still needs to be paid, whether it be on the due date or beyond.

CARES ACT Expands unemployment insurance benefits

Unemployment benefits for each person should receive atleast $1000/week+ with the CARES ACT bonus. That equates to around $4000+/month for the unemployed without having to pay rent or their mortgages for the time being. A couple should receive atleast $2000/week if they are both unemployed.

Not EVERYONE is eligible for unemployment as many already have stated. Those that are, may not get MAX benefits like yourself. In fact, most will only qualify for couple hundred a week with their lower incomes. Although, with the added 600 a week due to the pandemic, helps for those that would otherwise, only qualify for hundred or two a week.

Isn't that too much assistance?

IF EVERYTHING you mentioned above is true, then, yes, that DEFINITELY is a lot of help. HOWEVER, most of your assumptions are false. And those that don't qualify for ANYTHING are probably at the food line. But, I suspect, most are Illegals as well.
My response in blue

Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
My response in blue
Illegal’s don’t get it , all fraudsters get it..anyone who wants to steal identities or file false information gets it

Old 05-21-2020, 03:33 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Illegal’s don’t get it , all fraudsters get it..anyone who wants to steal identities or file false information gets it
Oh they get it alright. Who do you think the professional fraudsters are? Yep, them Illegals and the employers who hire them are the accomplices. Thus the term Illegals. Should they get it? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but they do.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Oh they get it alright. Who do you think the professional fraudsters are? Yep, them Illegals and the employers who hire them are the accomplices. Thus the term Illegals. Should they get it? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but they do.
My point is anyone who commits fraud is not getting benefits they should be getting ....whether it is illegals , whether they are people living in another country or Americans the fact is anyone who wants to commit fraud can do so.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
\

Isn't that too much assistance?
Yes, it is nuts. It is time for the strong to rise to the top and lead and the weak take a backseat. The smart and strong people need to lead. The incapible need to follow and have much less voice that the media/Internet provide.

Time to listen to leaders. Smart successful people, not dopes living on food stamps.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The unemployment benefits departments are overwhelmed and many people can’t get through to file. Plus they haven’t changed the system to accept self employed people.
THIS! There are scads of self-employed people, ranging from doctors and therapists with their own, independent practice, to artists and artisans, contractors, music instructors, massage therapists, etc. Some families have been getting by for years, with extra income generated by a SAHM running a day-care center in the home. Bye-bye 2nd income! Better hope dad isn't furloughed! And think of all the gig-economy people.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
No, the CARES act does cover self employed people. The amount is based on their net earnings from 2019 tax returns. Our state took applications right away, but it took about a month before they could update their systems and approve them and start payments.

Makes sense, if a small business is losing half their revenue this year, the owner is not going to be able to pay themselves for quite awhile, paying employees and expenses comes first.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Not everyone wants unemployment benefits even if they qualify, my husband being one of them. Decided to leave his money in the kitty for others who need it. This decision was made when the $600 adder showed up to my unemployment benefits.This more than suffices our basic monthly expenses.

HOWEVER...what I love is our internet discount!! I made a very smart move.

Between 1990-2015 we had a business phone with AT&T. Long story short, they screwed us by not allowing us to port over their expensive business phone line, even for yrs after the law was enacted forcing them to. Threatened to cut off our business phone if we didn't pay for what-ever extra services they fraudulently added on saying YES you did sign up! Except no I didn't. All we had was the business line.

$100+ a month for this business phone + whatever charges they decided for whatever service. With it taking months to have the fraudulent service removed or after the 1 yr period. Some time off from scamming then it would happen again. Way back in the early 90's and it increased in cost as the years passed. Threatened to cut off our business phone if we didn't pay. No other business phone could be had at that time.

Free internet equipment,+ $10 a month internet thru AT&T Now. I LOVE It!!

Living in a small county in a sub division where over 1/2 of the county workers reside (for the one office on this side of the county) helps. It means though I didn;t know the worker, the fact we were neighbors sorta in the same sub division meant she believe me. Told them I only qualified for food stamps for this month. A card to me within 2 days with a request to the postmaster to just place it in my box without going thru the mail.

Whatever amt put on the card will default to credit the county back after 1yr due to not being used

Eventually we should make a good sized dent in re-couping the money at&t owes us this way. Just plan each year to call in sick in one individual month not using PTO to lower income. Also the company usually allowed us to trade working days to use PTO so it never really had to build up until you needed/wanted actual days off. Many made more $ this way, trading work days.
Your husband is a massive exception. There are way more people scamming unemployment than voluntarily not taking it.
He'd be far better off taking it and donating it to a good charity than letting the government keep it.While he's trying to be noble an extra person is not actually going to get his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics