Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:00 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Why would you want to see a modern day Great Depression?

And secondly, we already saw a modern day Great Depression in select areas during 2008.

You’d also have to be living under a rock to not see how China is an adversary. They’ve specifically been labeled as such by the U.S government. There’s numerous examples of them taking aim at American hegemony from the AIIB (direct shot at u.s led world bank and imf institutions) ...to the new Silk Road initiative (“While some superpowers are concerned with building walls, China is building bridges literally and figuratively”), to stealing technology and spying, to the report their central bank put out in 2009 (about the triffen dilemma), to taking aim at the petro dollar with Iran. China is basically the heir to the Soviet Union as a great power threat and the United States has already shifted many military assets to the Asia pacific.
China are Mercantilists.

That does not make them enemy -- the problem is that US (Unbelievably Stupid) failed to understand that, and now that we are just starting to get it . . . we still do not understand how to deal with it.

Dunno if it will require the death of the Reagan Dinosaurs or what, but it is (well past) time to recognize that Reaganomics / Neo-Liberal / Hayek are a fail. That has only driven US into incompetence and debt.

But US will not be able to Out-Military China on this one. They wrote the book (Art of War). Our Top End could not even understand the Comic Book version of that. That have missiles that are One-Hit-One-Ship that will STOP (and likely sink) a US "Super" Carrier in its tracks. And fitted those missiles into shipping containers that fire from the deck of a container ship. Makes every boat out there a Single-Shot Pearl Harbor.

We need to figure out Modern Mercantilism, as well, and learn a new game. But getting past our own Embedded Stupid is the hardest part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 08:01 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
I brought it up because you said it wasn’t the first time for China. You then gave examples...and I provided other potential examples.

I’m not sure how that’s hard to understand.
The first source I looked did not mention those at all. But more searches indicate that those were believed to have come from China as well. It's all good, OK.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:07 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
I don’t think China will be sinking any U.S super carriers. Not without consequence anyway. In the other thread on China, it’s mentioned about the Ohio class sub, and how it’s pretty much the most powerful weapon system ever created. 24 trident II missiles, which break off into 8 missiles each containing 100 to 450 megaton nuclear weapons. In keeping with your analogy, I guess you could call it a multi shot Nagasaki/heroshima, just 3000x more powerful.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:34 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:

And secondly, we already saw a modern day Great Depression in select areas during 2008.

You’d also have to be living under a rock to not see how China is an adversary. They’ve specifically been labeled as such by the U.S government. There’s numerous examples of them taking aim at American hegemony from the AIIB (direct shot at u.s led world bank and imf institutions) ...to the new Silk Road initiative (“While some superpowers are concerned with building walls, China is building bridges literally and figuratively”), to stealing technology and spying, to the report their central bank put out in 2009 (about the triffen dilemma), to taking aim at the petro dollar with Iran. China is basically the heir to the Soviet Union as a great power threat and the United States has already shifted many military assets to the Asia pacific.
Why is the Silk Road Initiative a bad thing?

Oh, our "hegemony" is at risk? Perish the thought! They can have our hegemony for all I care. We could do with fewer quagmire wars; maybe the Chinese will enjoy some of that fun.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
But US will not be able to Out-Military China on this one. They wrote the book (Art of War). Our Top End could not even understand the Comic Book version of that.
China's performance in wars has been pretty ****-poor, a 2,500 year old book hasn't changed that.

Quote:
That have missiles that are One-Hit-One-Ship that will STOP (and likely sink) a US "Super" Carrier in its tracks. And fitted those missiles into shipping containers that fire from the deck of a container ship. Makes every boat out there a Single-Shot Pearl Harbor.
Hah those carrier killer ballistic missiles have been talked about since about 2012 but have proven to be nothing but hype. I'm surprised people still even talk about it, but you get bonus points for the container ship angle.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 PM

156 posts, read 97,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I say let it crash. Let the evictions happen.

In a perverse way, I kind of want to see what a modern day Great Depression looks like, and whether we'll handle it as well as they did then.

Have to laugh at the people complaining about "our enemy China." LOL! When has China ever threatened the United States? I feel like people want to anyone other than themselves and our sh**tty government that we ourselves vote for.

If America was so great it would have handled the virus. Let me remind everyone of a statement made by a very stable genius:
All this will do is entrench the rich even further.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:33 PM

156 posts, read 97,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are a lot of people who are living on the edge because the only jobs they can find are low paying. Many of these jobs have disappeared and are unlikely to come back any time soon.

A year or so ago, I was reading a thread started by a woman asking for advice on living in her car. She was working three part-time jobs, her car needed $500 worth of repairs, and she missed several shifts due to unreliable transportation.

She got behind on her rent and knew she was going to be evicted.

The advice that came in would break your heart. Posts on keeping her clothes sealed in plastic bins or else she would start to smell musty and would likely lose her retail job. Advice on safe places to park and where she could take a "wash cloth bath." What to watch out for. ...

I was stunned that so many hard working people were living like this.

Sounds like more will be joining their ranks.
Is it possible that the whole point of this is to depopulate the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Enlighten me please. Since Trump took office, things were great......until covid. I don`t understand. Jobs are out there. You may have to work up too good paying jobs....but It can be done....with hard work. Alot of people do not have high paying jobs....the secert is not to squander what you make....on starbucks, fast food, ect. You get where I am going. Young people today....live for today.
1) The jobs that were out there paid ****. People were working 2 and 3 jobs to make ends meet.

2) The Coronavirus crisis killed a ton of exactly those jobs, so no, the jobs are no longer out there.

3) Nobody was squandering anything. Everyone since 2008 has been pinching pennies.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Why do so many people think everyone that lives in an urban environment came from a farm?
Is just a saying. There was a time when children took over parents occupation as opposed to moving to big city hoping to live the dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Enlighten me please. Since Trump took office, things were great......until covid. I don`t understand. Jobs are out there. You may have to work up too good paying jobs....but It can be done....with hard work. Alot of people do not have high paying jobs....the secert is not to squander what you make....on starbucks, fast food, ect. You get where I am going. Young people today....live for today.
Is more about how much, and what your wage can buy you. How long can one save, and stave off instant gratification like a new gaming console? How long will one have to save for? Sounds like a very spartan life.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
The reverse is true, too; parents are moving in with children. It’s not a bad idea to combine households in times like these.
A lot of asians will do that. When I was a child, my grandparents moved into the home my parents owned. My paternal grandparents lived with us for a while before they decided to move out again, and then my maternal grandparents moved in for a bit too before going back to Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
When my lease was up several years ago I struck a deal with my daughter and moved into her garage. I pay about 800 a month total including other contributions. I could be giving this to some bloodsucking landlord but instead I keep it in the family.

It's the way to go.
How is air quality, and insulation ?

Old 08-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Spread out doesn't mean anything. There's already a rural housing crisis out there right now. And being spread out doesn't change the fact that their infrastructure is weak, their hospitals are few and far between, and jobs and public transportation are almost nonexistent in any of those places, so they'll be commuting insane miles back to the cities for work - again crushing all of those rural roads. A ton of people moving there is going to overwhelm their roads, their electricity, their water, food, their medical care, plus they're almost all going to be unemployed because they're nowhere near any jobs. This **** show is going to happen to each and every one of those small towns out there. Worse so because they are so spread out.

And then when they can't find jobs they're going to drain their parents' savings.
Infrastructure is built for exactly the number of people it once had when rural areas not so depopulated. One of the main reason for Rural America decline is the declining population. My thinking is with the children all coming home, the population will rise.

City infrastructure also suffers. NYC, SoCal, etc etc all are overcrowded. Housing prices are high because not enough homes for all those people. Services like welfare, even hospitals, the police, are all overwhelmed and overworked.

Plus if people go their own way instead of tagging along the trendiest bubble, the bankers will have no choice but to follow them. If Heartland America's kids go back home, bankers will be sending loans there. That is how the depressed Rural areas can bring back some money and recover. With a growing population.

Quote:

China not be what it is without help from America, western countries. Not sure why we decided to prop them up or who thought be a good idea to bring them into the fold.

Quote:
But US will not be able to Out-Military China on this one. They wrote the book (Art of War). Our Top End could not even understand the Comic Book version of that. That have missiles that are One-Hit-One-Ship that will STOP (and likely sink) a US "Super" Carrier in its tracks. And fitted those missiles into shipping containers that fire from the deck of a container ship. Makes every boat out there a Single-Shot Pearl Harbor.
That is some James Bond Spy Who Loved Me level deceptive tactics right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics