Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you file your taxes?
I usually file in February 65 50.39%
March 29 22.48%
April 23 17.83%
May-september 5 3.88%
October or later 7 5.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 05:30 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
I googled "Fidelity" and thats an investment group. I can't seem to find the place on the IRS site where you can see your information - plus don't you need to verify your SS#? I'm sure the forms will be here in the mail soon since they knew they were behind.
...what?

I said more than once that I wait for the official forms from my employer and others. That is what things like W2 and 1099 that people are referring to here, ARE.

The only forms you get from the IRS, are the ones you fill out with your stuff to file, if you choose to mail forms. But if you do TurboTax or something like most people, you do not use those.

Why would you need to verify your Social Security number? Just...what?

I am very curious if you are from another country, or if you are young, or if you normally pay someone else to do your taxes and do not understand them very well? Your questions seem a bit odd.

People who are getting forms from investment firms like Fidelity are doing so because certain retirement account contributions and withdrawals can have tax implications, and if you bought or sold stocks otherwise, you may have gains or losses which have to be reported on your taxes. If you had to Google Fidelity, I'm guessing that doesn't apply to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 06:09 PM

117 posts, read 76,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think you may have some misconceptions.

Your tax forms do not come from the IRS, and there is nowhere on the IRS website you can find these forms. While that is a system successfully used in other countries, it isn't used in the USA.

People may need paperwork from Fidelity, but only if they use Fidelity as an investment broker. There are many other companies, and some people do not invest anything at all.

Your employer(s) are responsible for mailing you W2 and/or 1099 forms as applicable to your situation.
I've never heard of a 1099, is that new? Maybe thats why the forms haven't been in the mail yet. Hopefully they will come before March otherwise I'm telling the IRS I will not file. I don't have time in April to file.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
...what?

I said more than once that I wait for the official forms from my employer and others. That is what things like W2 and 1099 that people are referring to here, ARE.

The only forms you get from the IRS, are the ones you fill out with your stuff to file, if you choose to mail forms. But if you do TurboTax or something like most people, you do not use those.

Why would you need to verify your Social Security number? Just...what?

I am very curious if you are from another country, or if you are young, or if you normally pay someone else to do your taxes and do not understand them very well? Your questions seem a bit odd.

People who are getting forms from investment firms like Fidelity are doing so because certain retirement account contributions and withdrawals can have tax implications, and if you bought or sold stocks otherwise, you may have gains or losses which have to be reported on your taxes. If you had to Google Fidelity, I'm guessing that doesn't apply to you.
I'm under 40, but born in the United States so no I'm not from another country. I'm sure the forms I need to file will be here any day now since today is the 12th and Tax season started today. If they are not here before March begins I will tell the IRS I will not be filing. And no I file online with H&R Block usually and it's free if you make under a certain amount of $$. A friend of mine usually pays since she makes more than $40K. She is the one who said the IRS is the one that sends the forms that haven't come yet. Usually we file around the same time so we can buy stamps at the same store to use when we mail out the check to pay the state of NY for the money H&R Block says we owe.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:22 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
You need the form(s) that represent the work you did at your employer(s) first. When are they going to be in the mail. I've been waiting. I know I worked in 2020, IRS is WAYYY behind.
Why are you ASSuming that I didn't have them? I received my w-2 form, which is the only form I needed this year, weeks ago, in JANUARY.

Also, FYI, W-2 forms come from your EMPLOYER, not the IRS. When I was working for a small company with one location, they used to hand the form to me with my paystub during whatever week in January they received them from the payroll company. The payroll company your employer uses for Payroll prints them up

I now work for a company based in WV that has thousands of employees, so they mail them out.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 02-12-2021 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a 1099, is that new? Maybe thats why the forms haven't been in the mail yet. Hopefully they will come before March otherwise I'm telling the IRS I will not file. I don't have time in April to file.
Hi,

It is incredibly obvious that you need a bit of help in understanding the tax process and what is included in filing. That is ok, we all had to start somewhere.

A 1099 is a form that you get if you work as a contractor. If you work a job where taxes are taken out, you get a W2. Either way, it is supposed to be provided by the company/person that contracts with you, or employs you, by the end of January. They need to mail by January 31, so you should have them by now.

You don't really have the option of telling the IRS you aren't going to file. Sure, you can simply not do it, but you will still be liable for anything that you owe, or you won't get a refund if they owe you. Either option is not good.

It is also your responsibility to track down any 1099 or W2 documents if they don't show up.

If you want a bit of assistance, I am happy to help, but you need to answer a few questions. We will start with the easy ones.

1. Did you work in 2019? If you did, what kind of job? Did they give you a paycheck and take taxes out?
2. Did you have more than one job?
3. Have you received any documents from any employers?

Old 02-12-2021, 06:29 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Many people received their forms a couple of weeks ago, and those forms originate from the employer, not the IRS. Plus, who uses the mail?.
My current employer is based in WV, so they mail out the w-2 forms.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
My current employer is based in WV, so they mail out the w-2 forms.
Many do. I am a state employee and they are mailed from a central office somewhere. My comment really referred to downloading the forms rather than waiting for the mail. I get my W2, mortgage statement, Vanguard documents, etc in the mail, but I can also download each of those things from one website or another.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Hi,

It is incredibly obvious that you need a bit of help in understanding the tax process and what is included in filing. That is ok, we all had to start somewhere.

A 1099 is a form that you get if you work as a contractor. If you work a job where taxes are taken out, you get a W2. Either way, it is supposed to be provided by the company/person that contracts with you, or employs you, by the end of January. They need to mail by January 1, so you should have them by now.

You don't really have the option of telling the IRS you aren't going to file. Sure, you can simply not do it, but you will still be liable for anything that you owe, or you won't get a refund if they owe you. Either option is not good.

It is also your responsibility to track down any 1099 or W2 documents if they don't show up.

If you want a bit of assistance, I am happy to help, but you need to answer a few questions. We will start with the easy ones.

1. Did you work in 2019? If you did, what kind of job? Did they give you a paycheck and take taxes out?
2. Did you have more than one job?
3. Have you received any documents from any employers?
Yes I worked in 2019, that's how I know theres a form that gets received around the time tax season starts with information about the employer and work you did for them, etc. Here in NY we have not received that yet. The other person says they live in NY so not sure how they got their W-2 around Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Because stimulus check finally came almost a week after that day.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yes I worked in 2019, that's how I know theres a form that gets received around the time tax season starts with information about the employer. Here in NY we have not received that yet. The other person says they live in NY so not sure how they got their W-2 around Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Because stimulus check finally came almost a week after that day.
Ok. That is a start.

1. The form does not arrive from the state or the IRS. It comes from your employer, so different people will receive them at different times. It all depends on when your employer mails them out. I will guarantee you that many people in NY have already received their W2 forms.

2. Disregard stimulus. It doesn't factor into your taxes at all, and in addition to that, any money you received in January counts towards the taxes you will need to file in 2022. But you don't need to report stimulus.

3. I find it unusual that you mail your tax returns. Most places allow you to file electronically. There is a free online version of Turbotax for simpler returns, which I suspect would apply to you. Although you probably need to know a bit more about taxes than you do before you file on your own. I suggest you play with the free version and try it out. That way you will learn a bit, and can maybe do it on your own next year, and understand a bit more about the process.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:43 PM

226 posts, read 158,516 times
I owe a small amount this year. So I will mail the return and check on April 10th - allow 5 days to arrive at IRS.

I prepare my own taxes

the old school way:

Fill-in pdfs from IRS website,
print,
file paper tax returns via USPS.

I do this for Fed,State & Local.

I do not/will not use any online tax prep software or outfit.

I value my identity - and take strong measures to protect it.

I trust the IRS & the USPS.

IMO

High Tech =High Risk = the Cloud =The Devil of Big Brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics