Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 02:15 PM

10,071 posts, read 7,250,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
to be clear i don't think there aren't people here to do the work. we have people here and they arent working. maybe these companies need to pay the people already here more money per hour?
I seriously question how many people are out there not working. I think there are more retired and newly asset-rich than we want to admit; they don't need to work anymore. The pandemic encouraged most of the remaining Boomers in the workforce to retire. It helps they are now asset-rich. The remaining Millennials and Gen Xers have moved up, and then their replacements simply do not exist.

We had a baby bust starting in 2000. So we are already 4 years into this smaller generation. No one's acknowledging this demographic inconvenient truth. The labor shortage will only get worse as the Great Recession generation born circa 2008-12, which is smaller still, hits the labor market. Births dropped off a cliff when the recession happened.

This will not get better and money is not the full problem. Yes, we need immigration.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-18-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 02:15 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,145,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think fear of getting Covid 19 is more of a motivating factor in not working than being required to wear a mask as part of the job is.
I would agree with that.

Stores in my area have also cut their hours due to staffing shortages.

Education is a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to the issues of staffing and pay.
Mom and life long friends were teachers.
Professional politicians want to blame teachers for what's wrong with education.
Why don't they ask teachers what's wrong. But oh, know they don't want to do that.

I don't wonder at all why there are teacher shortages.
I wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to be a teacher these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We're a school. We can only pay as much as the voters authorize the budget to handle. The business model is literally voted on by the public. I mean, Jesus Christ what do they want us to do? We get complaints about not offering services we used to but if we put tax increases on the ballot they'll vote us down. At some point I guess the public doesn't want the school?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
In fairness to you, the public education system is hanging on by a thread now. Down here in Texas, to say that school teacher salaries have not kept pace with COL would be an understatement. Now factor in the student loans that most are saddled with, and it's now on the verge of becoming financial suicide to even contemplate a career in education. You would never dream of getting rich as a teacher, but now you can really destroy yourself financially. Dont be surprised if we see a massive shortage of teachers even after COVID goes away as the older teachers retire and the young have been warned off and stay away.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:34 PM

10,071 posts, read 7,250,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I would agree with that.

Stores in my area have also cut their hours due to staffing shortages.

Education is a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to the issues of staffing and pay.
Mom and life long friends were teachers.
Professional politicians want to blame teachers for what's wrong with education.
Why don't they ask teachers what's wrong. But oh, know they don't want to do that.

I don't wonder at all why there are teacher shortages.
I wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to be a teacher these days.
They need to pay more... that is one way to help a lot.

It needs to be a big raise, BIG. 20% or higher. Businesses are having to do this - at my wife's work they were having atrocious turnover and increasingly no replacements. They had to raise the entire staff 15%, and acutely raise valued staff they could not afford to lose anywhere from 18-30%. It was a hard pill to swallow that their leadership did not want to do. But they did it.

It did not help the recruitment THAT much... they are still having trouble garnering applicants. However, it helped stop the bleeding from resignations. Turnover decreased and existing employees stayed in their jobs whereas they would have quit otherwise.

With education, though, they also need not only pay but much more respect.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
WMt wants to hire 50,000 workers !

Old 03-18-2022, 07:50 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Wal-Mart went after a cost-conscious mass market segment.
But, how does "Always the low price. Always." work when real incomes quadruple as they did in the 20th century?

Old 03-18-2022, 07:52 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
We are beginning to see the effects of immigration restriction before and during the pandemic crimp the supply of labor.
Bingo!

Old 03-18-2022, 07:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Despite the unemployment figures were places being filled?
As I said, the positions were being filled, and worked, and paid for.

Unskilled positions only require unskilled laborers. And yes, there are unskilled laborers out there - still.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Mediocre pay gets you mediocre talent, always been the case.
And the reverse should be true as well - mediocre talent gets you mediocre pay.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not sure how true this is, at least in my area. The labor shortage has been clearly in evidence for years, with many local businesses running short-staffed; COVID just pushed the situation over a cliff.
Well, I worked in staffing for decades and that was very true in my area. COVID is what pushed the situation into a crisis.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:46 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,546,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think fear of getting Covid 19 is more of a motivating factor in not working than being required to wear a mask as part of the job is.
I know in my company, the locations without mask mandates have better in person attendance than locations with mandates. In every case, there is the opportunity to work from home so it's a personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics