Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 03:31 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
...People used to make careers out of certain jobs. Where you could rise the ranks and lead a department. As an example, when I was younger, JC penny would have people in their departments that were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. When I got fitted for my suit, they knew everything about it. Everything. And helped set me up. The shoe people? Knew shoes.

Go in there today, and he’s probably long gone, replaced with some commodity employee they have stuck in there who doesn’t give a **** about anything. But then again, why would they? You have to give people a reason to care, reward growth, have a path for them they can take pride in.

Employers create win win situations for higher end employees that they value. Why? Because they have to...

...To these employers, adapt…or don’t and die...
On point! I have been pointing this out ever since I started doing deliveries, (thank you, lock downs - which, by the way, that's where another huge chunk of the work force went. They're now their own bosses).

I go into restaurants, retail stores, and grocery stores all day long when I'm working. The days I work, I work up to 15 hours a day.

I can't even tell you how many businesses I've been in, and the very first thing I've noticed, and it's all over the place, is when you walk in, they see you, but they don't acknowledge you. Let's say you go to Target, you can't find an item to save your life...but you can't find anyone out on the floor, either, to GET any help. Used to be, you could walk into any store and almost immediately, someone was there asking 'Can I help you find anything?'

Restaurants - some are good, majority are horrible. You walk in, they see you, there's a group of people just standing around waiting, not in line, just waiting, and the staff says absolutely nothing to them or any person who walks in the door, even though you made eye contact with them when you walked in. They just turn their backs, or they go hide in the kitchen. Meanwhile, for me at least, the bag of food I am there to pick up is just on the other side of the counter, and had the person given me at least a courtesy 'Welcome to (Whatever), I'll be right with you', I could have said, 'Thank you. I'm just here to pick up that bag right behind you." (Because I can see the name on the ticket stapled to the bag.) Instead, all of us waiting will stand there and wait for 5-10 minutes, OR MORE, before anyone who works there says a word to anyone.

That happens a lot. There are certain restaurants in certain areas that I simply will not pick up from anymore because of it. Example: NYC Bagels in one part of town, exceptional customer service. NYC Bagels in another part of town? You will stand there for 10 minutes, no less, before ever being acknowledged. Meanwhile, the customer's food is getting cold, or warm, whichever it is they don't want happening to their food.

Unfortunately, it seems that the majority simply do not care, and you're right. You have to give them a reason to care. Yes, I get a job, I get a paycheck, but if you will still pay me for doing the bare minimum, why would I do more if there's no incentive? If I work my tail off, but my co-worker doesn't, and there's no chance to advance, get a better raise, be rewarded in some way for doing more than the company asks - why should I? To make me feel better? Rest assured, it does not make me feel better. It makes me feel like I'm the idiot for working so hard when my co-worker does the least work as possible, and we end up exactly the same in the eyes of the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 04:15 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,437,090 times
I’ve definitely noticed the trend of lower paid employees not even acknowledging your presence. I can’t tell if it’s lack of training or if they just intentionally don’t care.

I’ll always jokingly say to my wife “thanks for coming in” “or how was your meal?”. The lack of even basic human interaction is ridiculous let alone expecting people to actually be able to succeed at anything without major changes.

I’ve also noticed a lot of people not even having the company uniform and just wearing…whatever…but maybe that’s a turnover or supply issue with the pandemic.

I’ve seen it quite a bit too with ear buds in for customer facing roles. I get the public sucks, but damn.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,285,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder about this too. Not in the lofty positions, but why can’t a drive through hire competent people? They used to be able to, but what has changed?

Fortunately, my grandchildren are college graduates and have been hired for good jobs out of college. What happens to the kids who just want to work their way through college, or just work after high school? Apparently, they don’t give a **** at any of the drive thru burger places I’ve frequented lately.
They are competent - just too many people in the drive thru.

I go inside and place a to go order. Doesn't take long. I don't like sitting in my car waiting.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:20 PM

43,182 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder about this too. Not in the lofty positions, but why can’t a drive through hire competent people? They used to be able to, but what has changed?

Fortunately, my grandchildren are college graduates and have been hired for good jobs out of college. What happens to the kids who just want to work their way through college, or just work after high school? Apparently, they don’t give a **** at any of the drive thru burger places I’ve frequented lately.
Our K-12 education system. That is what changed. They are pushed through the system and handed a degree cause nobody likes to see failure anymore.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,142,200 times
Not so sure about this labor shortage. Every business around has signs up saying they are hiring. But I know a couple people, one with several years of management in fast food, keep getting told that business is slow and they are actually just getting a list for future openings. One has applied at 12 places in the last 10 days and got one interview. And they were just making a list.
Our local Walmart is cutting hours.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
WMT said they need 50,000 more workers,IRS said they have to compete with the WMT,AMZN,TGT of the world.
But some workers like CMG said their hours are cut,they dont make enough to pay their bills .

Old 03-23-2022, 01:55 AM

10,071 posts, read 7,249,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’ve definitely noticed the trend of lower paid employees not even acknowledging your presence. I can’t tell if it’s lack of training or if they just intentionally don’t care.

I’ll always jokingly say to my wife “thanks for coming in” “or how was your meal?”. The lack of even basic human interaction is ridiculous let alone expecting people to actually be able to succeed at anything without major changes.

I’ve also noticed a lot of people not even having the company uniform and just wearing…whatever…but maybe that’s a turnover or supply issue with the pandemic.

I’ve seen it quite a bit too with ear buds in for customer facing roles. I get the public sucks, but damn.
A lot of people stopped caring about crap jobs. They realized there is no benefit or payoff to putting more energy in. It doesn't help that the pandemic made everyone take out their frustrations on those same minimum wage workers. I myself witnessed a full-grown adult have a temper tantrum at a Lowe's when the worker asked her to put on a mask. Like sitting on the floor full on tantrum from what must have been a 50 year old woman.

I used to work my butt off in jobs like that. My reward was nothing more than if I'd shammed. I'm not surprised the younger generation has ripped the baindaid off of the hypocrisy.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:47 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,933,408 times
Well things are about to get a lot worse with gas prices so high, some folk can’t even afford to go to work.
When it cost more than $100. To fill your tank on an economy car and that lasts only a few days driving as minimally as possible.And you have to find work where it is , not where you live. The housing prices drive people out of areas their work exists. It’s that or living in your car again.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:08 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,868,682 times
How are all of these people who are unemployed getting by?

Old 03-24-2022, 07:22 AM

428 posts, read 224,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Our K-12 education system. That is what changed. They are pushed through the system and handed a degree cause nobody likes to see failure anymore.
The current state of our public school system is a feature not a bug. The same folks backing the current anti-crt boogie man FUD with school boards around the country have been actively sabotaging our public school systems with a goal of redirecting the tax dollars towards private/charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics