Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 09:00 AM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times

Advertisements

There best is when parents destroy their retirements sending kids to expensive schools …..

There are loads of ways kids can finance education …there is no loan for retirement the parents can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 10:58 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There best is when parents destroy their retirements sending kids to expensive schools …..

There are loads of ways kids can finance education …there is no loan for retirement the parents can get
Years ago in the USAA monthly newsletter l/magazine there was an article telling parents to stop paying for their kids college, taking out loans, draining retirement unless they sufficiently had the assets to not worry at all about retirement and the rest of their lives. It noted there are student loans but not retirement loans, let your kids get the loans and if you want to help, make some payments for them.

It’s amazing to me how much leeway/trust parents give a teenager for a 6 figure or multiple 6 figure decision that could have lifetime damaging impacts to all parties involved

Old 04-22-2022, 10:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Family member with a kazillion dollars in student loan debt. Keeps kicking the can down the road with each of these moratoriums.

He is pretty sure that they will ultimately wipe out his debt.

Pisses me off no end that i am paying for his, and others, lifestyle when in school and their refusing to pay the loans even though they have the ability.

What kind of a system thinks this is a good idea? Either financially, or just as importantly, morally. What does a borrower learn when they get yet another nefarious action with no consequences? We "owe" them this? Horsehockey !

Don't get me started.....
FWIW, there are two types of student loan forgiveness. There is the PSLF, where people had actually been paying for years and weren’t getting months credited due to administrative tricks played by the loan servicers. It’s only been in the last couple of months that people have actually started to get approved for forgiveness. I’ve seen a lot of people report that when all was said and done, they had months, if not years, of overpayments they got refunded. I really have no issue with people under this program not paying now as they agreed to join a program in exchange for 10 years working in public service.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:27 AM

880 posts, read 564,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Years ago in the USAA monthly newsletter l/magazine there was an article telling parents to stop paying for their kids college, taking out loans, draining retirement unless they sufficiently had the assets to not worry at all about retirement and the rest of their lives. It noted there are student loans but not retirement loans, let your kids get the loans and if you want to help, make some payments for them.

It’s amazing to me how much leeway/trust parents give a teenager for a 6 figure or multiple 6 figure decision that could have lifetime damaging impacts to all parties involved

I think it's acceptable for middle-class parents ($125-150k household income) to pay for their children's college education. But it should be factored into a budget. If parents are cashing out their retirements, it's as equally irresponsible as a student taking out $200k of student loan debt to get 6 years of college degree without having ever worked a day in their lives.

For most middle-class families, I recommend a 529 or a college pre-paid. Personally, I prefer the 529... but to each their own, not my hill to die on.

I began saving in a College Education 529 from the moment my daughter was born. When she turns 18, it'll be hers to use. I've made sure she understands the importance of getting a scholarship to help. Right now, I've saved enough that it would pay for 4 years at a decent state school. I gradually increased the amount that I'd deposit every month to account for pay increases. I still have 5 years left to save, so we'll see where that goes.

My retirement and savings are untouched because it's something I planned for.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:43 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

I paid for my children to go to college, but the difference was we are talking somewhat reasonably priced state schools and not expensive private colleges.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:05 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
I think it's acceptable for middle-class parents ($125-150k household income) to pay for their children's college education.
I don’t think it’s unacceptable it’s just often a bad financial decision and allowing and child to be the decision maker

Quote:
But it should be factored into a budget. If parents are cashing out their retirements, it's as equally irresponsible as a student taking out $200k of student loan debt to get 6 years of college degree without having ever worked a day in their lives.
I’m with you if it is budgeted and planned for and your retirement savings are well on track by all means, the issue is far too many parents aren’t checking those boxes

Quote:
For most middle-class families, I recommend a 529 or a college pre-paid. Personally, I prefer the 529... but to each their own, not my hill to die on.
Most middle class families aren’t budgeting, nor have a solid retirement plan in place. Most middle class families shouldn’t be compromising their retirement for college expenses but they are. For most Id recommend maxing their retirement savings first and then consider 529s

Quote:
I began saving in a College Education 529 from the moment my daughter was born. When she turns 18, it'll be hers to use. I've made sure she understands the importance of getting a scholarship to help. Right now, I've saved enough that it would pay for 4 years at a decent state school. I gradually increased the amount that I'd deposit every month to account for pay increases. I still have 5 years left to save, so we'll see where that goes.

All good

Old 04-22-2022, 12:43 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
I think it's acceptable for middle-class parents ($125-150k household income) to pay for their children's college education. But it should be factored into a budget. If parents are cashing out their retirements, it's as equally irresponsible as a student taking out $200k of student loan debt to get 6 years of college degree without having ever worked a day in their lives.

Good for her and you! You were and are in he financial situation to do so.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:03 PM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:

That makes no sense , 125k as a family income here in nyc is very different then 125k in cheapsville .

A family of 4 here qualifies for a nyc low income housing project at 90k

Old 04-22-2022, 01:15 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,644,609 times
The age old demographic tendency. Young families go into debt, borrowing from the accumulated savings of retired people. As the societies of the advanced economies go grey, debt creation is decreasing while savings increase. This is why I believe that the current inflation is temporary due to dislocations. The structural tendency is deflation unless we have more young families.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:29 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
She's not the kind of person we should be worried about.

The kind of person we should be worried about is someone who had to take out 80k of debt to go to a STATE college to get a job that pays 50k a year - for which that degree is a minimum qualification. That should not happen. Either take away the degree requirement from the job or fix the college costs. The state should not even have public universities if they cannot deliver the education affordably.

If it were me and I were in charge, I would literally close the doors of every single state college until they figured out how to deliver education at the G-7 average cost. In Canada the cost to a student is about 6500 CAD per year - about $5200 in U.S. dollars. In the U.S. that is about what community college costs. If they can do it we can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics