Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 10:26 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times

Advertisements

There are some that say saving money is super-essential. And other people who will say saving your money will just cause it to rot from inflation.

It seems like the scale of how much to save vs. invest depends on how much money you have.

There is an absolute minimum of savings that's good to have:

1) Saving up some money for when you need to buy a new car, so you don't have to pay thousands financing it.
2) Saving up for a house
3) Then there should be an emergency fund that could cover 3-6 months worth of basic living expenses, among other emergencies (depending on where you live, this may be $10-15k).

But once all these bases are covered, I'm putting my money into appreciating assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 11:53 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quite a few assumptions and generalizations in your post.

1) I had a 0% loan to buy my car. No need to save up for something to avoid finance charges if the loan rate is 0%. Many car makers offer low or no cost loans for new vehicles. I would say it isn't crucial to save up to pay cash for your car.

2) Obviously you need to save for a down payment on a house. It's best if it's equal to at least 10% but obviously 20% is better.

3) The total size of your emergency fund can be disputed depending on many factors. But you should have some form of a liquid emergency fund, this is bare minimum for savings in my opinion.

As to buying appreciating assets, the difficult part is going to be identifying what those are. What assets do you have in mind that appreciate? Real Estate? Gold? None of those are guaranteed and are just as likely to fall in value.

If you're referring to investments, we don't call those an appreciating asset. They are an investment and include risk. As with anything, it's hard to know what to buy but generally speaking if your timeline is long you are good with sticking it in a mutual fund and waiting.

My opinion is that you should save between 3-6 months of emergency fund depending on how stable your job/career is and your total dependents/age.

After your emergency fund is filled, you should allocate that money to retirement savings in the form of a 401K or IRA using mutual funds. If you still have leftover money to allocate after the federal maximums, then I recommend an individual brokerage account for trading.

I wouldn't personally invest in "appreciating assets" whatever those are, unless it's real estate.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
How much money should one save?
No less than 10% of your gross ... from your first $1 earned to your last breath
What you'll do (be able to, or want to, or need to) with that accumulation will vary over the decades.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:37 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Your saved money sits of a scale of risk / reward - with cash being low risk low reward and equities / real estate being high risk high reward option and bonds being the middle option. The general guidance is if you plan to make hefty purchases or start spending more than you're earning soon on a fixed time due to life events, walk down the ladder. If you can time your big purchases or withdrawals to whenever is good financially, walk up the risk ladder. The longer your withdrawal horizion, the more risk you should take since short term gyrations will be smoothed out.

Now, with that approach, realize that total savings is pure loss, so the idea is that you still want to spend your investments - you just want to do that when they have gone up and you've got lots of earnings. 2019 was good for this, 2023 not so much. Now sometimes the best 'spending' is actually buying yourself more leisure time and working less, whether that's sabbatical, lower stress job, hiring out DYI projects / maintenance, or retiring earlier.

Always factor in work time to the calculation - if your funds match what you think you'd largely like to buy, then start trimming down your work.

Finally, cash is an investment vehicle in itself, I change between cash and equities on these recent short term gyrations.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:48 PM

333 posts, read 170,330 times
Quote:
There are some that say saving money is super-essential. And other people who will say saving your money will just cause it to rot from inflation.

It eems like the scale of how much to save vs. invest depends on how much money you have.
1) Saving up some money for when you need to buy a new car, so you don't have to pay thousands financing it.
2) Saving up for a house
3) Then there should be an emergency fund that could cover 3-6 months worth of basic living expenses, among other emergencies (depending on where you live, this may be $10-15k).
But once all these bases are covered, I'm putting my money into appreciating assets.
Points one and two are up to you, but I have a big issue with your point three.

I mean, where do all those generic averages come from? Is there an invisible contract I am not aware of, where someone guarantees that I'll get a new job in 3-6months (preferably with same salary/benefits)?

I'd say have enough to cover your expenses for a few years (full recession cycle) and you'll sleep well. There are savings accounts paying 3.5% which is enough to offset the part of inflation which is not demand-based.

There have been many examples of people who lost stable jobs around 2008 and it took them years to get back on their feet. It's not that they didn't work, but it was 'contract', sporadic, etc. Reality is they were unemployed or underemployed for years to come.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:52 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
How much money should one save ? Easy answer , how long is a rope …it’s the same math

Old 01-12-2023, 05:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
well, ask on Saturday
after the Mega Millions
(Billions) Lottery drawing.

essentially, save all you can everyday.
penny-pinch and repair/reuse.
my richest Uncle still had his
shoes resoled instead
of buying new.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:08 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:

It seems like the scale of how much to save vs. invest depends on how much money you have.

2) Saving up for a house

Okay then.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:40 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
The only sensible piece of advice is #3, but we've all probably heard that a million times by now. The first two have so many variables it's impossible to give an answer that fits everyone

Old 01-12-2023, 09:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
The only sensible piece of advice is #3, but we've all probably heard that a million times by now. The first two have so many variables it's impossible to give an answer that fits everyone
Amen. Every advisor worth a damn will admit the proper advice for every person is different. We all end up in one of two categories:
1. Saved too little
2. Saved too much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics