Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

Frankly the american life style now makes this pretty easy ofr most americans. It is the heavily in debt that will have a harer time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Yikes !! If we cut one more thing we will be living in a 3rd world country! Is this what our society has come to? Spending the better part of our waking day figuring out what to cut just to survive?

I just read every post. I dont recall anyone mentioning to turn up the thermostat. Maybe it isn't such an issue for most but where I am, today for example it will be 116 degrees and the real heat is yet to come.

I set my thermostat at 84 while most people set it at 75-77. Those $500 a month electric bills are just too hard to cover.

Since I drive past her work on the way to my work, it became logical to get rid of one car and I take her to work and pick her up. So we saved more then a thousand dollars a year on insurance and whatever maintenance costs.

I will not be filling the pool this summer. $75/m to run the pump and $25/ for chemicals.

We have a beautiful motor home. (bought it before the gas prices jumped). I sometimes look at it and the $375/m payment. But I think that if I ever become homeless, as long as I can still come up with $375 each month, we will never be homeless. The RV is more comfortable then our home, just a little smaller.

We own lake front property free & clear in south Texas. I sometimes look at the value of it and if I sold it I would be sitting on a nice sum of money. Then I think if we ever become homeless we can just park our RV on our land and live quite cheaply. We can grow a large garden to feed us and water it with lake water. We can catch fish for dinner.

No matter what this depression....oops I mean recession throws at us - We will survive !!!
We will survive !!!
We will survive !!!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yikes !! If we cut one more thing we will be living in a 3rd world country! Is this what our society has come to? Spending the better part of our waking day figuring out what to cut just to survive?

I just read every post. I dont recall anyone mentioning to turn up the thermostat. Maybe it isn't such an issue for most but where I am, today for example it will be 116 degrees and the real heat is yet to come.

I set my thermostat at 84 while most people set it at 75-77. Those $500 a month electric bills are just too hard to cover.

Since I drive past her work on the way to my work, it became logical to get rid of one car and I take her to work and pick her up. So we saved more then a thousand dollars a year on insurance and whatever maintenance costs.

I will not be filling the pool this summer. $75/m to run the pump and $25/ for chemicals.

We have a beautiful motor home. (bought it before the gas prices jumped). I sometimes look at it and the $375/m payment. But I think that if I ever become homeless, as long as I can still come up with $375 each month, we will never be homeless. The RV is more comfortable then our home, just a little smaller.

We own lake front property free & clear in south Texas. I sometimes look at the value of it and if I sold it I would be sitting on a nice sum of money. Then I think if we ever become homeless we can just park our RV on our land and live quite cheaply. We can grow a large garden to feed us and water it with lake water. We can catch fish for dinner.

No matter what this depression....oops I mean recession throws at us - We will survive !!!
We will survive !!!
We will survive !!!

Respectfully..if you own a home , a nice motor home, a lake front property in Texas, and a pool you are in no danger of living like you are in a third world country. If you have a roof,water and food you are better than most 3rd world people.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:17 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,382 times
My expense-cutting ideas:

-cancel the gym membership and work out in the "great outdoors" instead
-cancel cable TV entirely. I'll spend more time being social, and the few shows I "need" to watch I can just catch on Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. or buy a few a month on iTunes for $2 each. Sure beats $60/mo. for cable.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 AM

24 posts, read 116,985 times
How I cut my expenses and saved $500 a month?

I did it by getting rid of my 2005 Chevy Tahoe (along with a $500 car note) in late October 07 and bought me a 1999 Honda Accord with the extra money that I made off of the sale of the Tahoe. Now the money the extra money that i'm saving is going straight into the bank so I don't see it... and don't miss it.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 AM

18,731 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Regarding the RV-living on lakefront lot people, a lot of places won't allow an RV on your own property for too long. I owned a lot in Colorado that allowed an RV for up to three months IF you were building a house there, and so on.
It sounds like posters have plenty of "fat" in their systems- unneeded second cars, large cars, motorized toys, and so on.
I would cancel the gym membership that I keep meaning to use. I'd also buy fewer prepared foods at the supermarket. I guess I could cut down my charitable contributions if absolutely necessary, but they do mean a lot to me.
I'd let my pack of rescue dogs become fewer through attrition (currently have five).

Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 AM

486 posts, read 982,449 times
Default I guess

Hmmmmm......

I guess I could stop going out to lunch everyday. I could stop going out to dinner so frequently. I probably should anyway, have you seen the people that come out of some of those kitchens. lol

I could cut my cable down to the basic package.

I could stop driving so much and save all my errands for Saturday and then plan out my route.

I could stop buy clothes/shoes everytime I get paid. Then I would have to figure out another form of therapy.....

Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkm99 View Post
How I cut my expenses and saved $500 a month?

I did it by getting rid of my 2005 Chevy Tahoe (along with a $500 car note) in late October 07 and bought me a 1999 Honda Accord with the extra money that I made off of the sale of the Tahoe. Now the money the extra money that i'm saving is going straight into the bank so I don't see it... and don't miss it.
I assume that:

"money that i'm saving is going straight into the bank so ... "

Is only a phrase to use. Do be careful leaving cash in a bank.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
Hmmmmm......

I guess I could stop going out to lunch everyday. I could stop going out to dinner so frequently. I probably should anyway, have you seen the people that come out of some of those kitchens. lol

I could cut my cable down to the basic package.

I could stop driving so much and save all my errands for Saturday and then plan out my route.

I could stop buy clothes/shoes everytime I get paid. Then I would have to figure out another form of therapy.....
You have cable?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 PM

24 posts, read 116,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I assume that:

"money that i'm saving is going straight into the bank so ... "

Is only a phrase to use. Do be careful leaving cash in a bank.

thanks... I hear what you're saying. Just saw something on the news about people trying to get their money out of that one bank.

soon i might have to bury the money in the yard....hehehehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics