Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 PM

658 posts, read 831,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
Please tell us how your family is going to cut out $500 a month in spending.
The experts are only employed as long as they are correct... unless they work for the government.

$500 a month=
1) Library for DVDs, no more rentals.
2) Kids earn spending money by working outside the home. They pay for their own phones and games. Little kids, paper routes. Big kids, employment.
3) Take food with you anytime you leave home. No more drive-thru meals.
4) Figure out how creative you can get with bulk-purchased coffee fixins for home preparation. No more Starbucks.
5) Sell the extra car.

Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkm99 View Post
thanks... I hear what you're saying. Just saw something on the news about people trying to get their money out of that one bank.

soon i might have to bury the money in the yard....hehehehe.
A lot of my kin folk bury their money, jars in the ground.

I do not care for that method, there are a lot of better 'places' to put money. I prefer my assets to be gaining Net Worth and sheltering me from taxes.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
The experts tell us our costs are going up but wages will not match the increase. It would be to our advantage to cut $500 from our monthly family budget. This could go to pay increasing energy bills and save for upcoming deep economic recession in 2009.

Please tell us how your family is going to cut out $500 a month in spending.
Come on! That is doom and gloom stuff! We will be fine and you do not need to cut $500. But if you must you can cut the following things:

1. All cell phones OR
2. Your landline phone
3. Turn off your AC at least 8 hours each day
4. Cut off all cable TV and put an antenna on the roof (yes TV is still FREE)
5. Combine trips and cut driving by 25% at least.
6. Buy food at Aldi, BJs or Costco and do not eat out at all (take lunch)
7. Cut off all On Star, Satellite Radio.
8. Vacation close to home- within 150 miles and stay in Motel 6

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
1. All cell phones OR
2. Your landline phone
3. Turn off your AC at least 8 hours each day
4. Cut off all cable TV and put an antenna on the roof (yes TV is still FREE)
5. Combine trips and cut driving by 25% at least.
6. Buy food at Aldi, BJs or Costco and do not eat out at all (take lunch)
7. Cut off all On Star, Satellite Radio.
8. Vacation close to home- within 150 miles and stay in Motel 6
Around here landlines are much cheaper than a cell phone.

Few folks here run A/C.

TV is going away. It only has a few months left and it will be gone. the reduced transmitter power will bring down the radius from the transmitter tower from the current 50 miles down to 10 miles.

Bj's, Costco, Sams; is not cheaper food. you need to unit-price compare.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
BJ's Costco and Sam's might be good if you have a big family and can actually finish that 528 oz box of Cheerios

I actually looked through there and found it wasn't worth it for me to shop there as I'd end up throwing out more than I used with those giant sized packages.

I just shop more carefully at my regular supermarket and cut out anything in the frozen foods aisle with the exception of ice cream and buy more store brands than big name national brands.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
BJ's Costco and Sam's might be good if you have a big family and can actually finish that 528 oz box of Cheerios
Yes, unless you compare unit-pricing and clip coupons.

Food can be gathered for less money than that.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Around here landlines are much cheaper than a cell phone.

Few folks here run A/C.

TV is going away. It only has a few months left and it will be gone. the reduced transmitter power will bring down the radius from the transmitter tower from the current 50 miles down to 10 miles.

Bj's, Costco, Sams; is not cheaper food. you need to unit-price compare.
I think it depends on where you live. Here we can get Metro PCS phone service with long distance for $40 for one phone or $25 each if you have 4 phones and they have unlimited minutes. And I live about 15 miles from the Atlanta TV towers and I get all the DTV stations with a roof antenna (saves me $6 not having to pay Dish for them)

Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think it depends on where you live. Here we can get Metro PCS phone service with long distance for $40 for one phone or $25 each if you have 4 phones and they have unlimited minutes. And I live about 15 miles from the Atlanta TV towers and I get all the DTV stations with a roof antenna (saves me $6 not having to pay Dish for them)
We live kind of rural.

Too far away from the TV stations. As they are testing their digital systems, their transmitting signal fades completely. Leaving us with no local TV options. Even after having spent the money on the converters. No signal means there is nothing to receive.

Our small cellphone company does not cover the entire county, and they have very limited packages. None of the big 'nationwide' cell phone companies cover here.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Most of you spend a ton each month on cleaning solutions each month.

Here's a website that I found which provides LOW COST homeade cleaners w/o spending a small fortune...

Here's an example. If you want a homeade window cleaner, mix a gallon of warm water and a 1/2 of a cup of white vinegar.....

Mrs. FIXIT Home Repair & Household Tips

I don't use every example, but think about how much you spend on pledge, fantastic, woolite for the rugs....etc...

hope this helps

Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I have 1 bottle of ammonia for the tough jobs.
Otherwise I use vinegar and water for cleaning.

I learned awhile ago that you don't need all those specialty cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics