Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm a pilot in the passenger airline biz. Thousands of us have been dumped to the street in the past 7 months, and the real hits are to start in Sept/Oct after the summer travel season. I've been notified that come October, my position is likely to be cut Have no clue what I'll do instead. Maybe home depot is hiring.

Seriously with that history you will be needed. I know being optimistic is hard when outlook is like this. You are the sought after. You have many traits that are/will be needed. think outside the box...don't let the skeptics keep you indie it.

Yes it's a corporate term and very relative.

Lot's off Pilots will be needed for transport of goods like fedex or UPS. proactive......not reactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. Inflation, to be accurate for the population, must contain items a person must purchase regularly to survive. People can make do with the old car if they have to. They need food, medical services, etc.
yip, i would prefer it if instead of a cpi or inflation rate they gave out the rates of every sector individually. ie food up 40%, gas up 50%, medical up 15%, haircut down 10%, re-painting house down 20%, lawn maintenance down 5%, insurance up to what you can afford, down to what you can afford, telephone internet down 10% etc. i think people will then decide how much they allocate to each sector and decide for themselves what the inflation rate is!

4.18%, don't make me laugh!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Bill Clinton left our economy in better shape than any Pres in my lifetime, and probably yours. Bush drove it to the ground. McSame said he is ignorant of economics. Obama is a Rhodes scholar.

I know who I'd trust to make the best decisions.
clinton signed for tax cuts on trucks and suv's! $1billion dollars a day to import oil to fuel these bohemoths. very forward thinking!
i'm not saying dubya was any better and neither are the 2 clowns who are bleating for our votes.

my vote is for none of the above

Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sorry a little disturbed all these people that are feeling the crunch won't even pay a tiny bit of attetion to my coupon thread. Or is no one really feeling the crunch?

I see what your getting at.....unfortunately it's not a matter of if they could do better.....they don't know how.

People complain about gas prices......What would gas prices mean if your grocery billed decreased by 90%.

People want to dismiss my claims as delusional....some say it can't be done. Whatever. I have all the proof that one could have...skeptics continue to scare the public for their interest or own fears. Smart people improvise.
i kinda agree with you. i have gone on a bit of a diet for a while and i am eating a lot of veg, salad and fruit. i now have some tomatoes growing, lettuce and a little herb garden. i'm a total novice and the tomatoes aren't going too well but the lettuce and herbs are saving me about $50 a month (UK prices!!). they don't require that much effort either and have only taken up about 20 sq ft of garden. if people were really struggling they would change their diet a bit, grow some of there own and USE COUPONS like the op suggested!

oh and you'll be surprised satisfying it is when the stuff starts growing. you'll also feel healthier too

Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm a pilot in the passenger airline biz. Thousands of us have been dumped to the street in the past 7 months, and the real hits are to start in Sept/Oct after the summer travel season. I've been notified that come October, my position is likely to be cut Have no clue what I'll do instead. Maybe home depot is hiring.
i doubt home depot is hiring. if anything they'll be firing! here's a bit of an off the wall suggestion:

you're a pilot. chances are you know a bit about the running of an airline.
1) get a few of your mates together who know the same thing.
2) make contact with your first/business class passengers who are bankers, financiers, hedge funds, private equity types. if the pilot talks, most will listen
3) speak to a few of the head honcho's at your airline who know about their plane retirements(all those planes must be going somewhere)
4) if you get no joy from step 3 give boeing and airbus a call.
5) here's the fun part, start looking for young, good looking, FRIENDLY ladies who want to travel
6) pick 5 of the most profitable routes.
7) put a business plan together with all the contacts that you made step 1-5
8) lobby congress to stop bailing out overweight, top heavy (snr executives with astronomical pay), apathetic, depressing AIRLINES with poor service and heavy prices. and stop giving them preferential treatment
9) open up shop make millions, give people a good deal invest in bullet trains with your earnings
10) give some of the cash to me. actually give lots of the cash to me!

if none of this is do-able then this is not america! call emirates, qatar air, air china or walmart. i think all are hiring!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's absurd. Please see my post about coupons they are in no way tightening the belt. In fact just the opposite.....for people who can see it.
Don't be silly. I no longer get the newspaper, and all the coupons I get locally are for dumb things, usually more expensive than store brands. Store brand pasta is cheaper that Barilla, which I don't like anyway.

I see many coupons for dog food when I have a cat.

Finlandia cheese is expensive, even with the coupons.

Where are you finding all these good coupons? I could use some. The only ones in my area are ones that few can use.
Just the idea that they are pushing such things through these promos may indicate that more people are cutting back on name brands and using store brands.

Vegetable gardening can be very expensive, with the fertilizer and all those tools and stakes, etc. On top of that the entire country is going through peculiar weather changes and gardening depends on the weather, so all that money invested in your little backyard crop can be blown away overnight.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Vegetable gardening can be very expensive, with the fertilizer and all those tools and stakes, etc. On top of that the entire country is going through peculiar weather changes and gardening depends on the weather, so all that money invested in your little backyard crop can be blown away overnight.
that's the spirit!

weather chages, fertilizer, expensive? what an absolute load of horse manure! imo it sounds as if someone doesn't want to get off their behind. sorry that is my opinion. i'm sure that 90% of people reading this would agree with me.

(maybe i should start a poll)

Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Don't be silly. I no longer get the newspaper, and all the coupons I get locally are for dumb things, usually more expensive than store brands. Store brand pasta is cheaper that Barilla, which I don't like anyway.

I see many coupons for dog food when I have a cat.

Finlandia cheese is expensive, even with the coupons.

Where are you finding all these good coupons? I could use some. The only ones in my area are ones that few can use.
Just the idea that they are pushing such things through these promos may indicate that more people are cutting back on name brands and using store brands.

Have you never seen a marketing campaign? The expect to have to pay to market items....what would be better than giving them away at the store...then at least they have a chance you'll buy some more of their items and offset they items they are willing to give away. I know this....because practically the very best deals are all on items that just came out....make sense?

Vegetable gardening can be expensive?....Now your just making excuses for yourself....I'm sorry I can't offer any assistance there.

The direct mindset of people only able to think of the items they want or need for that week is why I'm allowed to walk away making bank. I went from a $400-$500/month shopping bill and eating out to <$100/month.....and that's only $100 for safety factor for reporting purposes it's probably more like $50/month.....the difference I have enough dish detergent now that I will never ever need to buy dish detergent again.....One item needed of the grocery list.....for good....or at least till it goes bad (If it does). And no that's not the only item....I've taken literally more than 40 items off the grocery list for a very long time....some should last up to two years....some longer some less.

Sources: Smart Source, Proctor and Gamble, Red plum. CVS, Harris Teeter, Rite Aid, Food Lion, Bi Lo.....ect.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Well this credit crisis has had an impact on our business. Some of our clients have just simply decided not to pay for services rendered which has hurt us a bit. I am amazed how "judgement proof" some of these good souls seem to be while living in 1.5 million dollar homes. Some use the ecconomy as an excuse to get free things.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I work at a retail brokerage firm, one of the "big guys" who are in trouble due to the subprime problems and other issues. They're already laying off people, but for the moment I think my job is pretty safe. The retail brokerage side is the only part of the company that showed a profit last year, so they'd be pretty dumb if they decided to cripple the one business that's actually making money!

Then again, I was laid off back in 1993 at a company that was making a profit, but not enough of one for the corporate bigwigs; they shut down the 500-person company headquarters where I was working. So in the final analysis, no one is 100% safe, and is delusional if they think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics