Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

Arnold is 6'0" and was around 250lbs. I know this because he was rejected in favor of Lou Ferigno for Incredible Hulk. Lou is 6'5.

I get your point about BMI though. NFL players often do BMI and a waist measurement to determine whether or not they are healthy. This gives a more true picture of whether or not a person is fit.

I am sure as an athlete and weightlifter if you incorporate your small waist measurement into your BMI you are healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
As someone who spent about half their life lifting weights and bodybuilding, my BMI is high. Yet I am as physically fit as a professional athlete. This is very often the case with professionally athletes too. The standard BMI rating is pure hogwash. Did you see Arnold at the height of his bodybuilding career? He was 5'10 240, which according to the standards would have called him severely obese. Any NFL player would be obese, etc..

As with any standard that just lumps people into a stat catagory, there are always exceptions.

Some people are just big too, but not obese. Big boned and thick, but not fat. I have always disagreed with the BMI standards applied by insurance and employers.
nfl players also die very young

Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Most ( but not all ) people who live into their 80's and 90's tend to be on the thin side, suggesting that being BIG ( overweight? ) is not conducive to longevity. I'm not a McCain fan, but I was very impressed by the robustness of his 96 year old mother at the RNC. It looked like she had more energy than her son John.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Most ( but not all ) people who live into their 80's and 90's tend to be on the thin side, suggesting that being BIG ( overweight? ) is not conducive to longevity. I'm not a McCain fan, but I was very impressed by the robustness of his 96 year old mother at the RNC. It looked like she had more energy than her son John.
yea i was hoping he would drop dead before the election but he seems to have good genes

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Being fat is a choice...Arguments of genetic predisposition are nonsense. Americans come from the same genetic stock as Africans, Europeans, and Asians. Why are they slimmer and we are fatter, though? Because we stuff our faces.

I don't blame insurance companies and health providers wanting to penalize those with irresponsible lifestyles. They penalize smokers, after all, so why not those who cannot stop stuffing their faces?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Extra pounds may be costly for Ala. workers | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/08/22/obesity_penalty.html - broken link)

The board will apply the obesity charge to anyone with a body mass index of 35 or higher who is not making progress. A person 5 feet 6 inches tall weighing 220 pounds, for example, would have a BMI of 35.5. A BMI of 30 is considered the threshold for obesity.

Obesity charge. That just sounds so innocuous, doesn't it?
That's....That's....AWESOME. LMAO

Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
yea i was hoping he would drop dead before the election but he seems to have good genes
which is more than we can say for some of the posters

Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Well, it would be amazing if healthy food was actually AFFORDABLE. The prices on things that are "good for you" greatly outweigh the junk food prices, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

If people actually got out of their cars and walked around that might help a little too! What a concept!
While I tend to agree w/you about it being nice if healthy food were made more affordable, this boils down to costs. Junk or processed food is not only cheaper to make (as the majority of ingredients are high sugary type ingredients which are cheap), but they last much longer on the store shelves b/c there are so many preservatives. By the time healthy fresh food gets to the store shelves, it has a very short shelf life, so much of it is eventually thrown away, meaning they have to charge more for what they actually do get sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics