Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,086,893 times

Advertisements

Stocks only went down on 128 pts on Friday; Bush has created a new rescue plan.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,426,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post

With all due respect my husband says "you're delusional". He also says "put your money where your mouth is and invest all your money in the stock market on Monday".

I say- you can't keep adding another band aid and expect it to fix everything.

He's much more blunt than I am, LOL.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:42 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,525,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
No way! The stock market might rebound, but who really knows. The damage has been done and it's effect on all of us might not be known for many more months. I fully expect a long and deep recession at the very least.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,555,478 times
Oh i see, your one of mccains advisors aren't ya

Old 10-11-2008, 06:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Rescue plan? The only rescue plan the Dictator "The Decider" has is how to protect himself when he finally makes his escape out the back door of the White House.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:57 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,285 times
I heard on the radio this morning that the government might be putting money into the stock market.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,850,195 times
I heard they're only going to allow people to buy on an uptick. Hooray! It'll never crash again!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,313,630 times
We've only just begun, and it has a long, long way to go...probably well into 2010 would be my guess. When you see interest rates start moving back up it will be a good indicator that the bottom was (past tense) seen at least a quarter prior to the increase.

During the [housing] building boom interest rates (consumer credit if you will) "should have" been 15% or higher to find an equilibrium for [house] values versus the cost of consumer credit to buy [houses], however our friendly (and very stupid) government kept rates artificially way too low, which prevented equilibrium being sought. Therefore we had runaway [housing] values because consumer credit was too cheap. If the Fed goes back to using sound economic principles (what is correct and proven to work in the past) in the future this won't happen in the foreseeable future again. In the meantime [house] values will continue to decrease until they find a value level where they "should have been" if the Fed had done it correctly in the first place.

Basically, housing starts is one of the leading economic indicators. A higher-than-expected increase in housing starts triggers economic growth and is considered inflationary, causing bond prices to fall and yields and interest rates to rise. Likewise, decline or declining trend in housing activity slows the economy and can push it into a recession, causing yields and interest rates to fall. That said, when housing starts were very high the value of houses continued to increase, but instead of interest rates rising to offset inflation they remained [artificially] too low. Throw in a heavy dose of easy credit and 100% financing along with a Fed mandate (thanks to Barney Frank and his many Dem buddies) to easily put high-risk people in houses (many of which couldn't afford it) and it was just a matter of time before everything fell apart and came tumbling down. That is exactly what must continue to happen (house values tumbling down) and finding a level of true value before things can ever get turned around and start operating correctly.

If the Fed uses some phony props (rules, financial aid) to keep house values higher than what they really should be, they have not corrected the situation...and we will face yet another implosion sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Kootr; 10-11-2008 at 08:21 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,486,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that the government might be putting money into the stock market.
I heard this Friday night on Am radio, the Feds are manipulating the stock markets now, but the effect will not be noticed until the next two weeks...

I am not in stocks at all, but I listen and read financials all day everyday, for fun, and knowledge.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
With all due respect my husband says "you're delusional". He also says "put your money where your mouth is and invest all your money in the stock market on Monday".
Um, no, your husband is the delusional doofus. The market is closed on Monday, since it is a holiday. Anyone with half a brain would know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics